why do so many religions claim that Jesus is God?

by evergreen 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

LT

they don't acknowledge him as a creator or divine being in the sense that most folks would attrribute to the word "divinity

Since LT is passed out right now, I'll cover his misworded statement....though I know he meant different.

As far as creation goes, the witnesses do not deny Jesus was the creator/co-creator. Jehovah made Jesus, then all other created things were made THROUGH him. Jehovah was the supervisor and Jesus was the laborer who did the ACTUALL work under Jehovahs direction ......according to the dubs.

Imo, the dubs go too far the other direction. Although I feel they have it correct on the fact Jesus IS NOT god himself, they at the same time give much less relevence to him than the bible requires.....besides the fact they miss what his entire message was about and wrongly assume the preaching work takes precedent as far as salvation goes.......over faith in Jesus and the grace his father showed mankind through him.

Gumby

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Gumby

"besides the fact they miss what his entire message was about and wrongly assume the preaching work takes precedent as far as salvation goes."

No preaching means no people can get converted hence no salvation anyway. The JWs 'must have' the preaching bit correct then.
    The JWs feel the onus is on them to spread the gospel to muslims, budhists, hindu ... as nobody else has stepped up to it. The rest of christendom just play pass the parcel with their already christian members. One minute one is Protestant then Baptist ...
    It seems the rest of Christendom takes the easy root. Baptise them nice and young when they can't argue with you.

• gumby
    gumby

Specster.....not sure if your looking at it from a dub veiw or your own

The JWs feel the onus is on them to spread the gospel to muslims, budhists, hindu ... as nobody else has stepped up to it. The rest of christendom just play pass the parcel with their already christian members. One minute one is Protestant then Baptist ...

Christendom has made the witnesses look like pee-ons when it comes to missionaries in these countries. Unless the country and people can further Brooklyns pocketbooks, their missionaries do not recieve the backing christendom gives it's missionaries. At list christendoms missinaries are supported by other christians, not a meager allowance along with your OWN funding like the dubs.

It seems the rest of Christendom takes the easy root. Baptise them nice and young when they can't argue with you.

Witnesses begin baptising at the age of 10 and younger. Their growth ....if any..., in civilised countries, is as a result of them having sex and making more "born in the religion" dubs. Christendom is growing faster than the dubs......WITHOUT the preaching in the manner as done by the dubs.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:No, I worded it as I meant it

When did you ever hear a JW call Jesus their creator? As far as they are concerned he might have attached a leg or two, but to them the Father is sole creator, as the architect of creation.

Spectrum:I'm afraid you show a woefully inadequate knowledge of Christendom. I suspect you got it from the JWs, as did most of us.

• Not all Christian denominations are Paedo-baptist.
    • Many Christian denominations evangelise.
    • Most Christian denominations have missionaries throughout the world.

As for risk to salvation, I believe I have no right to address that subject. My personal conviction is that a personal relationship with Christ is what makes a Christian, which JWs aren't encouraged to seek. Beyond that I'm not one to judge.

Didier:Your point about "trajectories" is right on the nail. Excellent!

Do you think those points might apply to a post-gnostic unorthodox Christian?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just a further point, in line with the thread title - when did you ever hear a JW call Jesus "my Lord and my God", as per Thomas in John 20:28?

• Undecided
    Undecided

If Mary was the mother of Jesus, then God is half human. If you don't believe this then all humans born today are all from their father and the mother has no part in the birth. Of course Jesus was just as human as any of us.

Ken P.

• gumby
    gumby

Gumby:No, I worded it as I meant it

I know ya did ......I said you misworded it according to my opinion.....which as you already know is the only correct one there is.

* takes a bow*

Gumbright

• Satanus
    Satanus

Spectrum

A good question is did the Gnostics know what they were talking about?

Imo, their view the creator god is more in accordance w the facts observed in the creation. Not that i'm gnostic.

S

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So is Jesus God to a Pantheist, or even a Panantheist?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Lt

Hope i didn't raise your hopes w my other thread. To a pantheist, jesus is god, as is everyone else, even the atheists. Heh. That way, everyone can have a part in answering my prayer for a million dollars.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit