why do so many religions claim that Jesus is God?

by evergreen 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

One side yet important question is how the possible identification of Jesus to "God" modifies the previous monotheistic concept, or definition, of "God". The Nicene-Chalcedonian Trinity doctrine is just one historically dominant answer, but it is not the only one...

• gumby
    gumby
    One side yet important question is how the possible identification of Jesus to "God" modifies the previous monotheistic concept, or definition, of "God".

It doesn't narkster. It's only modified by christians. If Jesus was god himself, the creator, and the light of the world, I doubt he hid out from sight or knowledge of mankind till the 1st century rolled around...... and that he was simply looked at as a human messiah for the jews in the O.T. He would have made a name for himself from the gitgo........that's just what 'gods' do.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    I mean imagine God the Almighty being humiliated by a bunch of Romans pagans and, Jews that he was punishing for centuries having him flogged and strung up like a dog. I really don't think so.

The Jews had difficulty with that idea, too. It's one reason the gospel was anathema to them.

Gumby:
    Naww, methinks this is a God who lets the other shoe drop - like when you're looking at a fantastic ocean sunset and suddenly think "who made all this?" I think there was a similar reaction at Cana

• gumby
    gumby

Gumby:Naww, methinks this is a God who lets the other shoe drop

No way Hosea!

This god had a totally different shoes. Jehovah woulda incinerated the Samaritan babe at the well and not been as nice as Jesus was. .......and!........after the golden calf incident on the mountain, Jesus woulda prolly just bullwhipped Aarons buddies and not burned em up like meanass Jehovah did!

Gumby ....*shoots LT in the nutsack with a rubberband and runs like a madman*

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby: Hollers after a rapidly retreating while nursing self: "But that's the point isn't it? We're talking about the NT-God rather than the OT-God, aren't we? Gnnnurghhhh!!!" ~collapses in a semi-comatose heap~

• gumby
    gumby
    We're talking about the NT-God rather than the OT-God, aren't we?

I was takin bout both. You can't discuss the trinity without talkin bout both.

* hits LT in the head with a green walnut off the tree and ducks behind the car*

Gumby

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Gumby,

"This god had a totally different shoes. Jehovah woulda incinerated the Samaritan babe at the well and not been as nice as Jesus was"

Your post split my sides. I'm still laughing!!!!!!!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:

I was takin bout both. You can't discuss the trinity without talkin bout both.

Ya can, ya know. Jesus was always talking about his Father n stuff. At the end he had some nice stuff to say about the paraclete thingy, too...

~puts car into reverse and runs over Gumby's shoes~

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Imo, identifying "God" to a particular man, whether apparent or real, and a crucified one at that, implies a wholly unprecedented notion of "God," completely different from the 1st-century Jewish one, even if this notion can be read back into the OT texts (about anything can be read back into about any text I guess).

Nietzsche captured that very well in his provocative Latin formula: deus, qualem Paulus creavit, dei negatio (God as Paul created him is the negation of God).

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:
    If Paul's Christ is the anti-God, does that make God the anti-Christ?

I take your point about reading-back, as was evidently done extensively in the NT of the OT. It's also a risk with regards to evolved theology and the NT and other ante-nicean works.

That having been said, in the context of this thread, as the story goes the Jews did seem to want to stone Jesus for blasphemy a lot! It seems that declaring yourself the very Son of God was at least as bad as enjoying halibut.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit