Bizarre JW stories of enduring hardship

by Vormek2.8 43 Replies latest jw friends

• hideme
    hideme

I remember this story as well, Confession. It was in the WT or Awake in the 60's I think. Maybe 70's.

I remember I read it when I was maybe 8 years old.

I loved reading, and my witness parents had shelves full of witness books and bound volumes...so I read the bound volumes.

I never forget that story...ugh!!!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

WELCOME Vormek2.8 ......I read that story previously on this site, but I thought it was an Urban Legend. You know, like the Avon Lady one.....

Spectrum - tell me you made that up, lol.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Katie, you're killing me...lol.

And those bloody torture stories! How awful. Im sure they were probably true, lots of them. But what was the point of terrorising a whole generation of children in countries that were unlikely to ever experience that kind of backward brutality. I mean - is it likely that I was ever going to have bycicle spokes pushed through my genitals in the UK? But thats EXACTLY what I spent my entire childhood in fear of! There was no point to those stories, other than the fact that nasty old men used to love repeating them from the platform and got some kind of gruesome kick from imagining that we might have to go through that one day.

See, and I thought I was the only one. I remember during this time they would talk about how the brothers would be picked up at checkpoints and beaten, so every time we drove to the meetings (being as I was about 6 or 7) I was constantly on the watch for roadblocks. I think the Malawi stories, while real (probably), were the 'tabloid' shock value of the time. I think they were supposed to be inspiring, but instead they scared the living crap out of all of us kids.....

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Midwich,

I swear that story went about in the early 80s (circa 1981/82)! I might have even read the story out of one of their mags but don't quote me on that.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    A JW was miraculously teleported through a fence as he closed his eyes and prayed to be saved from a gang of hooligans that were after him.

Is this true? SInce when did God start using Star Trek technology to protect his people? I dont remember being told that - 'and brothers and sisters when the Daleks are after you God will put a stairway to heaven for you to escape on, cos we all know satans daleks cant climb stairs (although they can levitate in the new series with Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston). And when the Vogons are coming to suck your mind out God will beam you up to the mothership, and lo, the Vogons and the Klingons will have a mightly battle because they will be so angry that Gods true worshipers have been teleported through Willy Wonka's chocolate TV. And when the orcs are coming to attach electric cables to your genitals God will send an electric storm to unplug all the power stations in the vicinity so that they will have to hunt round the stationary cupboard instead and improvise on genital torture implements by using the stapler and staper remover and hole punch thingy. And as we all know, when you pick up someone elses stapler to use it they have ALWAYS run out of staples, so that Gods true worshipers will have time to run away while the goblin hordes are looking for a box of staples to replenish the stapler to staple your genitals...'

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Not sure if people believe me.

The teleporting thing over/through the fence was a true story!!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Not sure if people believe me.

I must admit, I was a bit sceptical.

True as in 'true that it was repeated by the Witchtower' or true as in 'it really did happen'? (cant believe I am asking this!)

Was it Billie Piper in an episode of Dr Who? (sorry, I just cant seem to hide that ole sceptisism)

• carla
    carla

I think my husband is being used currently as an enduring hardship story, by being married to me a ubm of course. Why do I say that? I found something given to him by a jw telling him to remain 'strong' and how difficult this past year has been for him. Poor thing.!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I remember mid 70's when a lot of those torture stories came out in the Asleep! mags. I had my 'presentation' ready to go, and knocked on the first door. The gentleman opened the door and listened to my spiel respectfully. He actually took the Asleep! out of my hands and took a look at the pages.

What he said was interesting and I still think of it from time to time, "This crap I could read in the Newspaper. Why do you people not concentrate on the love Christ and the Grace of God more, and spend less time preaching about the evils in Africa? All you ever seem to want to talk about is death."

I had no answer.

Jean

• jgnat
    jgnat

Funny, we have the same miraculous stories circulating in the evangelical churches. Here are two true ones that have stuck with me. I know they are true because the missionaries gave us their first-hand accounts.

God will give you Goat's Eyes Grace when you need it

A missionary had a lot of qualms when he first went in to full-time ministry work. His mother reminded him he'd always been a picky eater. He worried if he would be able to stomach the local food when he got to Africa. He needn't of worried. He met a friendly tribe that invited him to a big feast when he arrived. It would have been a terrible breach of custom not to accept. He also had to belch loudly at the end of the meal to indicate is great pleasure at their gift. What was he served? A local delicacy. Goat's eyes. This great old missionary, with silver hair and florid complexion, boomed, "God will give you Goat's Eyes Grace when you need it!" He was able to eat the entire meal and belch, too!

His Inner Room Was a Latrine

A pastor was jailed in China and treated with great contempt. What he missed most was the complete lack of privacy, he was not permitted to speak, and he was not allowed to pray. He was given the dirtiest job in the compound, digging out the latrines. He found that the guards left him completely to his own devices down in that pit, and they would not follow him down there to "discipline" him. He was completely alone. That latrine pit became his own inner sanctum where he could pray and praise God to his heart's content.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit