Do you feel 'Disconnected' since leaving the borg?

by AK - Jeff 30 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I feel disconnected when JWD is down or I loose my internet connection.

• Balsam
    Balsam

As witnesses we were told that our true friends were among JW's and that people out in the world including worldly family were only associates. Only JW's loved us. Well actually the reverse is true, when you leave the JW. I've got worldly friends and family that have true to me while I was a JW and now as an EX-JW.

So basically the 29 years I had friends in the JW and we were close, as soon as I left the religion they cessed to know me. They died to me, and that is how I see them today nearly 5 years later.

Balsam

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I recall feeling a similar 'disconnect' when we moved to another region of the country in the early 80's. Similar in the respect that we had no friends, and no past commonality with the people that lived there. But the borg quickly filled the gaps and soon it felt like 'home'. Instant community!

This is one appeal that the witnesses have always had - those who are not social animals by nature can go anywhere and have community.

Of course that is not an acceptable choice when one discovers that he is in a cult - by then one has lost his past, with no way to replace it, often including what we thought were 'real friends' including family.

I find it interesting from a social perspective. We all let this organization close our worlds to a tiny corner. We saw nothing wrong with it at the time, and most likely never considered the possible consequences in the future should we elect to leave. I know I never did. In fact I was truly shocked to discover the viscious hatred that replaced those friendships.

I did enjoy this past Xmas and New Years season though. I opening wished all a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year. That felt good. I particularly enjoyed a hearty Merry Christmas to a witless I work with who does not know I am a faded witness. The look on his face and fear of saying the wrong thing in reply was priceless. I was through that season well connected with the 'evil world' and loved every moment too!

Jeff

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Ballistic.. you've been talking to the USA too long. LOOSE your inernet connection????

Where did you let it loose? Come on now, we may be outnumbered but we're still British

Poppy xx

• core
    core
    As witnesses we were told that our true friends were among JW's and that people out in the world including worldly family were only associates. Only JW's loved us.

Yes...leave and you lose it all, friewnds, family, hope, all gone - time does reduce the scar but still your history is full of the lost /wasted WT years - - people who are made Redundant from their jobs feel lost/confused/bereaved - just like that but more intense when you leave the WT

Hopes, Goals, Ambitions. Prospects - all gone never to return - wasted years, wasted lives - make the most of the time OUT and work in any way whatever to release others earleir than we were set free

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I was never connected in the first place while inside, so leaving didn't add to that. But having been raised socially retarded it is hard to become socially adept. Its a continual learning process. Harder and harder the older I get, unfortunately.

Sherry

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Ballistic.. you've been talking to the USA too long. LOOSE your inernet connection????

Where did you let it loose? Come on now, we may be outnumbered but we're still British

Poppy xx

Huh? I talk proper English I do!

• atypical
    atypical

Very much so. It is getting very hard for me to stand lately. My wife is still active, so I have a constant reminder of all the people that don't hang out with me anymore. Also, I have some very, very close friends who are inactive or df'd, but amazingly they still think it is the truth, so I can't even be open and honest about how I feel with them. One of those friends even started going back to meetings last week after years of inactivity.

It has been so bad lately that I have even considered going to meetings once in awhile just to ease that stinking line in the sand (I know, I know, it won't make things better, that's just how frustrated I am).

• oldflame
    oldflame

NOPE ! I left with a smile on my face, saying all the while "you aint gonna get me suckers"....

• ferret
    ferret

I feel disconnected from many family members who are still in the lie. But for the rest I say

"GOOD RIDANCE" Did I spell that right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit