Another Newbie

by FadingAway 49 Replies latest jw friends

• FadingAway
    FadingAway
    Oh gawd I love George he is my favorite! We watch it also on Spike TV is that what you are talking about? Who is the guy you know, maybe I seen him!

Spike TV is it. His name was Tom Murphy and he lost to Rashad Evans. It was a lame fight, not much action. I didn't know Tom when I trained in BJJ in Vermont, I think he moved there after I left in 96.

I can't wait to see the new TUF with Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock. It will be interesting if the hatred for each other lives up to the hype they showed at the last UFC.

• atypical
    atypical

Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your experience. I am happy for you that your parents were understanding, and it sounds to me like your wife is taking it pretty well. I am in a similar situation, except that not only my wife but the rest of my family are active witnesses. Good luck to you and enjoy getting back into the martial arts. I have been seriously considering getting into that myself. Do you recommend any particular branch? From what I have read, I am interested in sho-do-kan karate (not sure about that spelling).

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Hi atypical,

Thanks! As far as what martial art to recommend, that is a hard thing to do. I guess it depends on what your goals are and what you want to accomplish in it. I didn't get into the martial arts until I was 19 years old. I was picked on quite a bit when I was in school, so I took Kuk Sool Won in the military because that was being offered at the base I was on. My original intention was to be tough and learn how to fight. I developed this false sense of confidence that I could handle myself in any situation and I always tried to instigate a fight to see if my techniques would work. I was humbled when I sparred a wrestler and learned that it would take more than a few weeks of learning to become proficient. I was also very immature then too but i did some growing up along the way.

After the military, I moved to Vermont to be with my parents and go to college. I found a Chinese Kempo school and enrolled there. I found Kempo by the movie "The Perfect Weapon" with Jeff Speakman. His demonstarion of Kempo techniques on film was very impressive and I was drawn to that. During my Kempo training, I started to read the "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee. Bruce was against structured systems or orginizations. He believed that the belt did not signify a persons level of mastery in the martial arts. He encouraged an abandonment of systems and encouraged freedom and creativity. My instructor also felt that way and encouraged us to pick up other martial arts to further our training. From there I picked up Modern Arnis (a filipino stick fighting system) and Brazilian Jiu Jtsu. This helped me to really open my mind and learn from all 3 arts instead of being bound and inhibiting myself in just one art. My base was in punching and kicking, but I also had skills in grappling and weapon manipulation. It is much like the way I feel about the WTS, you may think you learn the truth, but you may feel that you can't grow as a person and feel trapped inside by the contraints of the org.

What you may consider doing is investigating schools around your area. Finding a good instructor is key, you should be able to figure out which ones are in it for the money and which ones are sincere in their teaching. Once you find a good school, stay in for at least 1-2 years to develop a good foundation. From there you can start looking at other arts because you should know the basic punches, kicks, blocks and breakfalls. Your goal in looking at the other arts is to "fill in the gaps" that you think are there that would make you a complete martial artist. But most of all, the martial arts has given me a sense of peace and a sense of personal accomplishment. That is what I miss the most and I can't wait to have that back in my life!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome Fading, it's good that you saw the light about the WTS, on the internet there is plenty of info on their real nature and objectives.

Indeed I also found that most JWs were just as materialistic and money orientated as the world outside.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

welcome fading away

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi fadingaway, and welcome to the board, you will find true friends here.

• atypical
    atypical

Thanks for the input. I am going to start checking out some of the trainers in my area. I'll have to keep it on the down low, because I'm sure the elders would love to see me going to a martial arts class!! It's ok, I'll park in the back.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

WELCOME FADINGAWAY! Fellow fader...

(Sorry about the red I can't turn it off now...)

Great to have another newbie on board. I can tell you have truly thought your path through. I wish you every success with your wife. Perhaps when she sees you begin to overcome your depression and your life moving forward in such a positive nature it may begin to make her think as well. I got over severe depression when I began to fade as well.

And that's wonderful that you have been able to mend bridges with your family. It proves that so called wordly people really do know how to love one another unconidtionally.

I really do hope that all goes well for your family. Especially for your little children. Growing up as a JW is no easy thing let me assure you.

Looking forward to more from you!

• delilah
    delilah
    Welcome, Fading....I'm glad to read, that your "worldly" family is there with open arms...unlike the JW's....who so easily turn their backs on family. (Been there, done that, moved on) Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
  • Purza
    Purza

Welcome. I appreciated the honesty and openess in relating your experience. Good luck on the weight loss!

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit