Desolation of Jerusalem

by Alwayshere 240 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

ackack

I have read the flawed attempts to try to salvage the October date (and have referred to them in previous posts, but you probably ignored what I said), and they are quite weak. "Obstinacy" is not a word.
    Really? I haven't read any. Last time I checked, officially, the WT did not link WW1 and 1914 together per se. What has the society written about this one? I'm kinda curious.

The Watchtower alleges that World War I started during the battle in heaven before Satan was actually cast out:

*** w66 10/15 pp. 621-622 What Has God’s Kingdom Been Doing Since 1914? ***Inasmuch as World War I was already raging on earth when God’s Messianic kingdom was born about October 1, 1914, the war in heaven to oust Satan and his demons must have run for some time along with the international conflict here on earth.

Not only is this view entirely speculative, but it is also inconsistent with the order of events of Revelation 12:7-12.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

In 'scholar's' absence of any reasonable list of kings of the Neo-Babylonian period, or of the Judean Monarchy, I have constructed a complete tabulation in PDF format available upon request.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

The focus on Judah is clear in Jeremiah 25:8-11 and the immediate context.

Your flawed hypothesis mirrors the apostates and the higher critics and is disloyal to God's Word. Our chronology is abased on all of the biblical and secular evidence.

The period of seventy years is as Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezra, Zechariah and Josephus desribed. Your seventy is a work of fiction.

scholar JW

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Thank you scholar " Our chronology is abased on all of the biblical and secular evidence."

Couldn't have put it better myself.

steve

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    The focus on Judah is clear in Jeremiah 25:8-11 and the immediate context.

Only if you have the reading comprehension of a lettuce.

Your flawed hypothesis mirrors the apostates and the higher critics and is disloyal to God's Word.

You like to keep saying that, but you cannot really say how, and you cannot ignore the simple fact that I have made everything fit without even trying. Even the 182.5 years Josephus mentions from the end of the ten-tribe kingdom to the first year of Cyrus, which I hadn't even been aware of when I compiled the data, fits perfectly.

Our chronology is abased on all of the biblical and secular evidence.

LOL. It sure is.

The period of seventy years is as Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezra, Zechariah and Josephus desribed. Your seventy is a work of fiction.

The twisted view you hold to is simply based on misapplying their words, as has been shown many times on this forum.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    elderwho There is no great difficulty in reconstructing a schema for the Babylonian dynasty from 625 to 539 BCE. Wt chronology presents the reigns of these rulers in accordance with the secular records beginning with Neb's first year, Nisan 624

What, there is none, anyway:

: Nebuchadnezzer reigned 43 years fro Nisan 624-582

Okay.

Evil Merodach reigns of 2 and 18 years proposed,- 581 -?

Reigns? Whadya mean reigns, Proposed? What, by whom? 581 and a question mark? Huh?

Neriglissar reigns of 2, 4, 18 years proposed ?

What, more reigns? 2,4,18 whadya mean proposed?

labashi-Marduk reign of 9 months - ?
    More question marks why?
    Nabonidus reign of 17 years - 566- 539

Oh I see, Nabonidus/Nebuchadnezzers' rule by secular chronology can be taken, but the other kings rule cannot. Hmmm.

This is good here:

. Your turn to supply a chronology of the Divided Monarchy? scholar BA MA Studies in Religion
    Yeah, like you really supplied anything thats concrete. Just like the Towers, your chronology is shady/gray and all over the place. I dont need a degree in studies in religion to see this embarassing attempt to show proof. C'mon Neil.
  • scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

You do have the reading comprehension of a lettuce.

The 182.5 years of Josephus is irrelevant because Josephus clearly specificied a 70 year period from the Fall to the Return.

The application of exile -servitude - desolation is what the Bible writers referred to.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

elderwho

You can easily see that the secular data for the Neo-Babylonian period is very problematic especially with the case of two of those monarchs not withstanding Nebuchadenezzer's missing 'seven' years and the 'twenty year' gap. The whole thing is a 'dogs breakfast' so it is best to stick to Jehovah's organization and his sacred Word.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    You do have the reading comprehension of a lettuce.

Not a terribly creative come-back.

The 182.5 years of Josephus is irrelevant because Josephus clearly specificied a 70 year period from the Fall to the Return.

I am unfamiliar with the word "specificied". Perhaps you mean "specified". Obviously anything Josephus said has to be understood within the broader context of everything he wrote. His only reference to how long for which the temple specifically was desolated is fifty years, which agrees with the known facts. He also specifically indicates that 182.5 years passed from the end of the ten-tribe kingdom to Cyrus' rule. These facts, together with Josephus' references to the seventy years indicating a period of Babylonian supremacy during part of which the Jews were exiled is in complete harmony with my interpretation. It has become so important to you to take the 70 years as fully a period of exile that you are forced to deny and ignore the other numbers that Josephus mentions that make your interpretation irreconcilable. Saying that the 182.5 years is irrelevant is like a small child covering its eyes and believing he can no longer be seen.

The application of exile -servitude - desolation is what the Bible writers referred to.

No matter how many times you repeat yourself, you will never be right.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    You can easily see that the secular data for the Neo-Babylonian period is very problematic especially with the case of two of those monarchs not withstanding Nebuchadenezzer's missing 'seven' years and the 'twenty year' gap. The whole thing is a 'dogs breakfast' so it is best to stick to Jehovah's organization and his sacred Word.

This was quite amusing to read. 'scholar' has tried to imply that the "secular data" is a "dog's breakfast", when in reality the post he makes reference to was simply recounting the spurious years of reign as interpreted by the Watchtower Society (with a suspicious number of question marks). The actual reigns for those kings are known from extant cuneiform tablets, and are in complete agreement with all other sources for what is known of the period. The only thing they don't agree with is the Society's interpretation of the 70 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit