10 years ago today...

by funkyderek 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

You died along time ago and then took up smoking?

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Ah, memories. I was very newly baptised, almost 16 years old, and the cowardice of the timing just blew me away. It was the first time I dabbled in atheism. I mean, the Governing Body's thought process was transparent!

1914 + 80 = 1994. Then the end didn't come. "Dammit," said the GB. So they waited a few months. Still nothing. "Well, folks, since Armageddon didn't come, that whole "generation" thing wasn't literal after all."

But like the rest of you guys, I'm sure if I asked my family, they'd still profess the old belief.

• Satanus
    Satanus

When that wt was studied, i had already had my bubble popped a few months before, by the reading of ray franz' book. During the study, it seemed like noone really noticed the big change. Everyone seemed to be snoozing mentaly as usual. 'Course, if i hadn't already woken up, i would probably have sailed right through it as well, or maybe not. I don't know. I had been getting more and more objective, closer conscioussnes w regard to the wt. I applaud those people who did take note of it.

S

• carla
    carla

Re: the generation change, I was in a meeting with a MS and brought up that subject. He admitted to being 'disappointed' but did not elaborate, nor did he go on to explain to my husband who did not grasp anything we were talking about re:1914 generation. My husband was just first studying with them and I of course came armed with C of C, and literally a suitcase of info. (I know, bad mistake, didn't do any good). I found the fact that he admitted to being 'disappointed' quite an addmission on his part but also dishonest in a way because he didn't explain any of it to my husband. And the MS has/had more influence than I did, naturally. I don't think he still gets the implication of it all. (oh, I guess that's stating the obvious)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I haven't posted much here in ages...

FunkyD, that Watchtower started my exit. I saw the change in the generation teaching and while disappointed I also saw the huge consequences of the change. I also knew, since I'd been associated since a baby that the age of the generation had been modified several times. I seem to remember that the Watchtower also stated that the "separation" was still future and those who had died after hearing the teaching of JWs had still not been judged. A 'sister' (I don't know who I hardly knew anyone in my new congregation) in the congregation made a comment in the study that even Newsweek had written about the change. Whether she meant to or not that had as big an impact on me as the study article. (Thank you whoever you are in Eden Prairie, MN cong)

I never engaged in the FS after that date but it took a year for me to fade completely. I moved to a different cong then moved house. I cited this Watchtower to my parents when I explained the reasons for quitting.

3rd

• gumby
    gumby

Thirdson......just wanted to say hello to the old timer Nice to hear from you.

Gumby

• rocketman
    rocketman

Lonelysheep beat me to it, but I was thinking 'Generation' all the way. In a sense, it's probably an anniversary for many of us. Though many didn't leave right then and there, that set of articles got the ball rolling and/or greatly contributed to our decision to leave or fade away.

I was an elder at the time, and that set of articles went a very long way in sealing the deal for me. I always list that doctrinal change, and the ridiculous logic (I know, an oxymoron) involved, as among the main reasons I finally left.

I think Lisa's mom articulated it beautifully!

"I have been duped for 30 years and now I've been instructed to change my mind in one week, and DAMMIT, I is going to do it!"

Perfectly put, Mama LDH!

• gumby
    gumby

Wanna say hi to Rocketman too. Hi Rocketman!

Gumby

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Actually I'd started fading (after a brief zealous upsurge around 1978 - three years after 1975! - ; a true blue spot of pioneering that alas fell in rocky soil) around 1986 when common intuitive sense somehow seemed to have gotten the better of me because of unbearable boredom when I went to university. Of course, that is when I happened to meet my "worldly" girlfriend as well… but guess what? Around 1994 the guilt trip had again prevailed and I had started to come back! So there I was that memorable 1995-Sunday morning (twenty years after 1975) on the back row of the kingdom hall wondering what this esoteric newspeak in the Pravdatower was all about. I still remember elbowing this guy, sorry bro, on my right side what the **** this exegesis was all about, and between which lines (not having underlined unfortunately hadn't helped me either) I should actually read… As the big spiritual sleep also seemed to have infected deep into this small European bOrg chapter as well, his shoulders seemed to start shrugging almost as on cue. As the judicial committee had lovingly let me back in on the condition of marrying my girlfriend, you can imagine I was in the submit mode. A couple of months later she surprised me by proposing one Sunday morning at 09.00 hours a.m. to accompany me to the meeting. After one of the most imbecile public talks imaginable, she managed to make it through about the first ten minutes of the ensuing Pravdatower when she suddenly got up and left. The sound of the door slamming that must haven woken even the most persevering narcoleptics present initiated the divorce proceedings… Somehow she managed to pick up something that took a third generation zombie like me yet another ten celibate years to sink in. I guess I'll have to give her a call one of these days to ask her how she managed to perform this clairvoyant trick. My head is still spinning…

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hey van

she managed to make it through about the first ten minutes of the ensuing Pravdatower when she suddenly got up and left. The sound of the door slamming that must haven woken even the most persevering narcoleptics present initiated the divorce proceedings

Wow, she doesn't take kindly to krap. Another way of looking at it (i'm such a skeptic), is that you probably would have done something or other sooner or later that would have had the same results. Would have loved to hear the kinghell door slam, though, then see all the sleepers jolted

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit