10 years ago today...

by funkyderek 42 Replies latest jw friends

• wombat
    wombat

FunkyD..........I can't believe it.........I never knew about this generational change until I got onto this site.....Like, I've been laughing (quietly) for the past ten years about how stupid they are.......and I didn't realise that they had changed the rules.

How stupid am I?

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    I was far too bored at the meetings to notice.

I second that, i was 12 at the time when we studied the November 1st 1995 Watchtower. Didn't even know about the previous "generation" doctrine. Was too bored to notice anything happened... Was probably too concerned with why they say "Novermber 1" on the Watchtower, instead of "1 November"...

My father probably asked me something like: "Wasn't that a lovely meeting?" and i would have probably said something like: "Yeah, it was lovely"...... he would say: "So, what point did you like best?"...... and i'd reply: "Ummm... the one where he said that Jehovah was gonna bring the Paradise"... then i'd go and watch TV...

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Only 8 more years, and 8 months to go until October 2014, the next big milestone.

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ Dora and Wombat.

Yes, it was the generation change, specifically the Sunday when the Watchtower article was studied. As I hadn't prestudied, that was the first I heard of it. Nobody else at the meeting seemed to notice this major doctrine change at all, but for me it was the proof I had been waiting for. It took another six months before I stopped attending meetings, but mentally I was free from then on.

To my mother's credit, she had pre-studied this issue, and dropped the bomb on the congregation during the answer to that WT study. We had already discussed it at home.

Amazingly I remember how proud she was of herself; seemingly, she was the only one to catch on. What stunned me was how happy she was while announcing it, LOL. Summat line, "I have been duped for 30 years and now I've been instructed to change my mind in one week, and DAMMIT, I is going to do it!"

The reaction from the congregation was nil. Jim Smith, Elder who was conducting the study, had to do a double take, and then he agreed my mother was right (this was from the platform!!!!) Everyone else looked like they were on thorazine.

This was also one of my last meetings. I had decided it was bullshit at home. My quick fade began.

Lisa

Don't Piss on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining, Class

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I believe, if my elderly memory still serves me, it was the Watchtower that came out with the generation change, which, by the way, was the same information that had been covered in the summer District Assembly.........I heard that many of the teaching articles in the WT are direct reprints of word for word, i.e. manuscript talks given at the DA.

Terri

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    "I have been duped for 30 years and now I've been instructed to change my mind in one week, and DAMMIT, I is going to do it!"

(((Lisa))) I remember feeling intense betrayal, but, also a sense of "they've finally crossed the line where I will no longer swallow it". Truly, it was this moment in my JDubdom that made me begin seeking ways to exit.............with or without my then husband..........

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Happy Anniversary bro! Lets twist one up and celebrate!!

[email protected] heartily concur, altho I much prefer imbibing from a pipe.........

Terri of the "42 years old before she met Mary Jane class"

• ocsrf
    ocsrf
    Nobody else at the meeting seemed to notice this major doctrine change at all, but for me it was the proof I had been waiting for.

Yes, exactly that is how saw it, and I too notice the lack of people who it registered with.

I remember being so active after high school and preaching day after day taking great care to explain these scriptures surronding "this generation" and how all these signs are fulfillment of that end is near. Than in a wink of an eye they errased all my preaching effort, well, that is how I saw it on that day. Like, what the heck was I preaching back than, it was wrong and that made everything I said wrong, now I felt like an idiot, fool!

Oh well, live in learn, I rationialize that I could of been raised by a super patriotic family who believes in going to war. I could of lost my life or become a vegatable fighting for some corupt president who decides for the country to fight a loosing battle (Vietnam, Iraq...put in any war you like) its all the same.

OC

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Happy Anniversary, Derek.

And hats off to all those who noticed the generation change. Ashamed to say that if I had still been in, I probably wouldn't have put 2 and 2 together and realized the ramifications of it.

~Merry (of the "sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits" class)

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Happy anniversary FD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit