Is Christmas for Pagans?

by LittleToe 66 Replies latest jw friends

• IW
    IW

Christmas is for pay...agins! Walmart would have a divine fit if Christmas went out the window. It really has little to do with religion anymore.

Happy Holidays folks!

IW

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

i for one, acknowledge the changing of the seasons as well as the cycles of the moon. These both have a strong psychological and physical affect on us all. (i am on mozilla so formatting and spell check are non-existant) christmas for me is the end of the gregorian calendar year and the beginning of a new year of the same. a time for reflection and new beginnings. paganism is nothing other than ideas or beliefs which were prevelant prior to the biblical christ (whom it is unproven scientifically whether or not he actually existed.the many myths of the bible are very good for controlling the masses, or maybe i should clarify, keeping those whom a person of power has under him/her subserviant and for lack of a better description, worshiping) unfortuantely the dominating religious system had labeled and given paganism the label of being anti. that is anti 'them'. i do not believe there is any division of church and state per say the world over. the prevailing belief is that of the ones in control of the masses; those who are ruling and often with the force of military. so, christmas is what you choose to make it. although i admit it is hard in the u.s. to differentiate this time of year from the ruling 'christian' conotation. peace.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I say what's pagan? Huh? Sheesh, do we really know?

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

A long time ago, in the 60's and 70's, our generation believed that Christmas was extremely commercialized and that we all should shy away from that kind of thinking . . .which, in a way, was a good thing to do. Now, as a more mature adult, I still don't really care about the physical aspects of Christmas, ( the over-the- top gift giving baloney ) however, I love to watch children become enthralled with the majesty of it all. And, I also, try to suspend my disbelief - of humanity and all it's ills, and try to know, as in to fully feel and understand the spirit of love and sharing. Isn't that one of the messages of Christmas?

Don't spoil Christmas for whatever reason . . .it is a good thing.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

tigerman, i agree, it is a good thing. whether one decides to go overboard commercially or not it still is in the spirit of giving and enjoying for most. yes, there is much stress involved due to the need for gifting and spending time with family members that often elicit much emotion, but, overall, it is a time to light up, green up, and enjoy company and food in the cold, dark time of the year. hoplesslystained

• myelaine
    myelaine

I love celebrating Christmas, love the lights, put mine out before it went down to minus it doesn't matter any more....then it warmed up ...now its cold here again.

Anyway, I prefer the the term Cretin over pagan.

love michelle

• oldflame
    oldflame

Actually the pagans did not create Christmas, they celebrated a holiday that worshipped the sun on Dec. 25 It was the Catholics I think that actually started the holiday Christmas. So if the Holiday is a Christian Holiday then why wouldn't a christian want to celebrate ?

• RU Saved
    RU Saved

Hey guys,

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I was never really raised a certain religous way. So I was fairly ignorant

about religion.... although I did feel I had a personal relationship with the father growing up (I'm 22). When

my family celebrated Christmas, I viewed it as thanking God that he sent his Son to save me; and how

thankful I am for that.... THATS ALL. I never knew about the pagan roots that you guys discuss here. My

question is, do you think God will hold me accountable for my actions and my "heart condition" when I didn't

even know how people acted hundreds of years ago? Was my true "heart condition" evil like the pagans of

yesteryear? I'm thinking of an analogy like money (let me know if you think it's a bad analogy). Is the

money itself evil or the actions behind it? Is Christmas itself evil or the actions behind it? I agree that

Christmas has a lot of additional stuff in it, but to me, the only thing that is important is to thank God and

Jesus for what they did for us. I agree of course, that you should do this everyday, which I do. Do you guys

think it is wrong to celebrate Jesus birth on one particular day though, whether it's the 25 or any other day of

the year?

Thanks for your replies guys.....

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Christmas, like most things in life, is greatly influenced by how you choose to view it, and by how you were raised to see it. I feel sorry for those who can only see "pagan symbols" in Christmas, or "demons" in the trees, etc. How tragic! For those who were raised to see it, Christmas is a time of great beauty and joy, of love and sharing, of family, friends, and faith in Jesus Christ, the Babe of Bethlehem.

I'm thankful to have been one of those raised to see the good in the season. How you choose to view the symbols of Christmas as an adult is largly a matter of your own interpretation. To some the tree is pagan. I guess to certain Druids a couple thousand years ago, it was pagan also. I really don't care what the Druids did. I've never been one. They weren't Christians. They don't have the exclusive eternal right to say what lights on an evergreen tree has to mean. They only had the right to say what it meant to them, in their time and place.

What the Druids chose to do with their trees has no bearing on modern day Christianity's use of the tree, which symbolizes much more than the Druids could ever have imagined. The wreath (the neverending circle of God's love), the lights, the star, the candy cane, the presents ... all have profound and deeply moving symbolism for Christians that refer back to the Christ Child.

Like so much of life, Christmas is what you make it, and what it means to you. I'm glad I live in a country where we are still free to decide for ourselves. For me, I choose to see the season as one of joy and beauty!

Susan

• Honesty
    Honesty

What "true Pagan" would want to get mixed up in such a decadent celebration with such a history of Christian connotations?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit