should we pray to jesus?

by Cordelia 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mouthy
    mouthy

Jeffro!!! I looked for your profile -But I see you have no ears no eyes Pity your blind...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Altho we have been taught to expect only one opinion in the NT about such things we haveto realize that the writers each had unique vocabulary and idiom. They also had very different views of the role of Jesus. There are quite a few passages that equate jesus and god in that Christ was not necesarily viewed as an individual as much as an emmanation of divinity. That is why an Arian reading of Paul becomes a tangled mess. We as former JWs (modern revival of Arianism) assume that the two are separate beings. As far as the Acts story with Stephen praying to Lord Jesus, continue to the next chapter. Acts 8:16-24 explicitly says that prayers are to be addresssed to 'Lord' Jesus.

16 For He had (X) not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been (Y) baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

17 Then they (Z) began laying their hands on them, and they were (AA) receiving the Holy Spirit.

18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,

19 saying, "Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

20 But Peter said to him, "May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could (AB) obtain the gift of God with money!

21 "You have (AC) no part or portion in this matter, for your heart is not (AD) right before God.

22 "Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that, (AE) if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you.

23 "For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in (AF) the bondage of iniquity."

24 But Simon answered and said, " (AG) Pray to the Lord for me yourselves, so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me."

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

When Jesus was on the earth, we talked to Him, walked with Him, touched Him.

When Jesus rose from the dead we talked to Him, walked with Him, touched Him. (Thomas and many others)

When He rose to heaven the Bible says we (Stephen) talked to Jesus and He talked to us (Saul/Paul)

Jesus said where two or more are gathered in His name, He is there in the midst. So are we supposed to shun Him and act like He isn't there when He said He would be in the Spirit?

So I asked the elders wife who was studying with me "At what point did it become illegal to talk to Jesus?"

She looked at me with a blank glazed over emptyness.

• yucca
    yucca

Isaiah 44"24 I,the Lord am the maker of all things,streching out the heavens by myself,and spreading out the earth all alone. clearly ,this verse makes it impossible to argue that christ was created first by jehovah and then jehovah created all other things thru christ, the fact that jehovah is the maker of all things who stretched out the heavons by myself and spread out the earth all alone and the accompanying fact that christ is the creator of all things john 1v 3 proves that christ is god almighty just as god as the father is. So you can pray to jesus . hope this helps

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

yucca...that is an interesting verse. A great one to use to confound the JWs and their interpretation of John 1 and Col. 1. It would be a fun one to toss at them being the mischievous stinker I am.

• Cosmic Awareness
    Cosmic Awareness

you can make the bible say anything you like, why do you think there are so many religions?

Don't get caught up debating, really what's the point?

If you know what's right and good, then do it.

You wont find Truth in a book only glimpses, but if you look inside (the Kingdom within) you will.

The one thing WTS got right is that Religion is a snare and a racket!

Keep searching and you will find.

Cosmic Awareness never tells us what to believe, it suggests and indicates areas for us to look for likely truths. Above all else, above any other teaching It offers, It suggests that we question, doubt, explore, to discover for ourselves, to study different religions, sciences, psychologies and various fields of learning but to never assume we KNOW anything, for when we think we KNOW, we cease to be open to further learning except when that learning supports our assumed knowledge.

Ninety percent of all religious teachings are designed to manipulate minds and emotions to catch, hold and extract energy and devotion from its followers, while only 10 percent of such teachings are truly priceless and valuable to one's social, physical and spiritual welfare.

I encourage people to search out the highest and the best in every religion or science, to take the 10 percent that is priceless and throw the rest away as the garbage which it is, for it clutters our living space if we keep it around.

It's impossible to reason with a closed mind.

It's funny, Jesus said to keep searching, keep knocking and the door would be openned for you.
    The WTS on the other hand, says this is the truth, don't need to look any further, they ask you to believe without question any activity, book, method or personality who claims by Its own authority and that of Its followers to be the only answer, the only truth, the final word of wisdom.

They attempt to avoid any information that leads to questioning or doubting their beliefs.

Think for yourself, and Question Authority.

your brother in peace
    A child of Light

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I don't speak Greek but even in the NWT footnote it admits the word means pray at Acts 7:59. The NWT translated it as "made appeal" because of their already existant doctrine against praying Christ at the time they produced the translation.Just like they changed worship to obeisance when it referred to Jesus but left it as worship elsewhere. So much being a consistant translation. I think it is consistantly deceptive and the reader should beware.

Also in verse 60 they inserted Jehovah when there is no manuscript in the world that has the tetragrammaton there. It should be Lord and since Stephen was still talking this would be the Lord Jesus.

This another example of trying to insert Jehovah into the NT when it shouldn't be.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    Don't get caught up debating, really what's the point?

{{{{{{{Cosmic}}}}}}}}}}

The point is a question was presented "should we pray to jesus?"

GREAT OBSERVATION Yucca! Great Scripture. That is one passage I never think of.

• mouthy
    mouthy

If anyone has the 1953 edition of "Make Sure Of All Things"page 85 They will read that the WTadvocated worshiping Jesus....They later changed there teaching !! So I have another Question for our Jehovahs Witness Defd> If a married couple both loyal JWs believed in 1953 that they should worship Jesus Then the husband dies -Soon after the WT says that any who worship Jesus from then on must be D/F ,but suppose the wife disagrees & still believes as her husband did .Then she dies..They both died worshipping Jesus but only one was loyal to the Watchtower Society. When Jesus judges them ( John 5:22,23)will they be judged based on their worship of Jesus-& therefore receive the same judgement- or will they be judged on how much they followed the WT??? Which issue is more improtant & decisive ( Rev 5:13,14; John 12:32,48; Math 23;8)

I am sincere in this Question Derrick!!!! Please at least unswer this one

• yucca
    yucca

thank you Pete and cosmos your answer wont help with the question should we worship Jesus?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit