should we pray to jesus?

by Cordelia 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

i'm meeting with my dad tomorrow (prob for the last time) and i have been asking him different questions and one he has tried to answer is about praying to jesus, (as i brought up that at acts 7 stephen clearly did) id like to tell you what hes printed out for me as he wants a response tomorrow,

basiclly its all the same old :the scrips say jesus is the mediator we go to God THROUGH jesus (john-14:16, 1 tim-2:5,6)

in answering why stephen said 'lord jesus recieve my spirit' the wt says that God had caused stephen to see a heavenly vision (acts-7:54-59) he beheld the heavens open and saw jesus standing at gods right hand' so seeing jesus in vision stephen felt free to direct his request to him as the head of the cong,

that this is the correct conclusion can be seen from the fact that the only other instance in which such an expession is used in the bible is of a simliar nature when the apostle john saw jesus in vision and heard him say 'i am coming quickly' and john answered 'amen come lord jesus'

the wt concludes by saying that the only one to whom we can direct our prayers is godthis is because 'there is actually to us one God the father, out of whom all things are, and we for him, and there is one lord jesus christ, THROUGH whom all things are, and we through him,'

any one got any comebacks for that one?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sorry to break this to you, but Jesus died a long long time ago, unless you're referring to a bunch of Hispanic people who are also named Jesus, but praying to them won't help you much.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It's a side-step. They still prayed to Jesus.

Read the following passage in John 14:11-14 (from the NWT, incidentally) and ask yourself what Jesus was offering:

Believe me that I am in union with the Father and the Father is in union with me; otherwise, believe on account of the works themselves. Most truly I say to YOU, He that exercises faith in me, that one also will do the works that I do; and he will do works greater than these, because I am going my way to the Father. Also, whatever it is that YOU ask in my name, I will do this, in order that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son. If YOU ask anything in my name, I will do it.

I don't want to put words in your mouth or ask you to think in any particular way other than your own, however maybe you could ask yourself: How does it read to you? Is it appropriate to ask him something directly?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeffro:Have you bothered your ass to read up on what she's facing at the moment?

Your comments are not constructive in this context, so kindly butt out...

(all in love, of course, bro )

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The scripture in John is talking about asking for something "in Jesus' name", not asking Jesus for something. Asking for something in someone's name in this context indicates whose authority to give what is asked for, not who is actually being asked, so it does not lend support to praying to Jesus.

The accounts in Acts and Revelation involve visions where people were communicating directly with Jesus because they saw him in their visions. They are not the same as praying, and do not lend support to praying to Jesus.

• defd
    defd

any one got any comebacks for that one?

You cant have any successful combacks to refute what the bible says. Jesus taught us to pray to his FATHER. It is not hard. Jesus even prayed to his Father.

D.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Have you bothered your ass to read up on what she's facing at the moment?

Sorry, my donkey can't read, and it doesn't like being bothered. But apart from that, no, so I have given proper answers to the questions as well.

(all in love, of course, bro )

Of course.

• defd
    defd

Also, whatever it is that YOU ask in my name, I will do this, in order that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son.If YOU ask anything in my name, I will do it.

LT note that jesus said what ever you ask in my NAME, not whatever you ask ME.

D.

• defd
    defd

The scripture in John is talking about asking for something "in Jesus' name", not asking Jesus for something. Asking for something in someone's name in this context indicates whose authority to give what is asked for, not who is actually being asked, so it does not lend support to praying to Jesus.

The accounts in Acts and Revelation involve visions where people were communicating directly with Jesus because they saw him in their visions. They are not the same as praying, and do not lend support to praying to Jesus. Excellent reasoning and understanding. With this nothing more should be said about the subject. D.

• mouthy
    mouthy

If I own the store !!!! I put in charge of it all A Manager!!! When there is a complaint or vote of confidence who do I go to????The BOSS told the Manager "It is in your charge".... SO I must go to the Manager!! Who is GODS Mediator ??( Manager) Who's name is above all others. ?????JESUS ,Who is the First & the Last ?????Jesus.

DEFD how much time did it take you to type that lot -should have given the Bethel about 1 hour I surmize

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit