How do you give a cat a pill?

by Elsewhere 42 Replies latest jw friends

• skyman
    skyman

Legolas

I loved your post I'll copy link and send to my friends thanks

By the wasy has anything worked or is the cat hiding.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Okay, now I'm worried. I picture Elsewhere lying on the floor bleeding to death from cat tap-dancing on his major arteries. Pills scattered everywhere. Total carnage. Cat in corner purring.

Nina

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

lol very good Legolas

The vet told me that you put the cats head as far back as it can go (without killing the cat of cause) insert pill at the very back of the throat, close the cats jaw and rub its throat...

Evanescence

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

We area also pilling our cat right now--two pills, twice a day. It was a nightmare until we went to the pet store and purchased a plastic animal pill deliverer. It's a white plastic thing that looks sort of like a syringe. Pill goes in, plunger goes down.

We wrap the cat in a towel to avoid injury, hold her head steady, put the pill delivery system in just far enough to ensure that the pill goes in but not far enough to engage her gag reflex, and push the plunger. Quick, relatively easy (compared to every other method we've tried!), much less stress for the kitty, and no bloodshed.

I recommend it highly.

Jankyn, leather gloves for cat-pilling class

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've basically giving up giving her the pill... but I'm able to give her the liquid medicine using the "syringe" thing. I'm using the "Grab the cat by the scruff of the neck" Tecnique, which is working great! Thanks for the idea Jourles!

I might go by the store and buy one of those pill injectors.

Okay, now I'm worried. I picture Elsewhere lying on the floor bleeding to death from cat tap-dancing on his major arteries. Pills scattered everywhere. Total carnage. Cat in corner purring.
    Yup! That's about right!
  • fairchild
    fairchild

Legolas, that was hilarious, thanks for the laughs!

Elsewhere, I have given my cat pills on occasion. I really can't make her do anything she doesn't want to, just like any other cat I guess.

What worked for me is to crush the pill and put it in her most favorite food, which is tuna. Only serve as much as you know she'll eat.

• forsharry
    forsharry

Oh believe me, I who have four cats, one who weighs 24lbs. I highly recommend the baseball bat method. Knock cat out...deliver whatever you want into cat's mouth. Repeat as many times as necessary. ;)

Just Kidding! My cats would probably kill me for even writing the previous short paragraph. I recommend the towel thing...the cat piller contraption works on my smaller cats...the big boy? Well...it takes two of us to do it. lots of fun that is.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'll go buy some tuna tonight. I tried giving her a pill using the "scruff of the neck" thing and she ended up puking on the carpet and started drooling and foaming at the mouth profusely. I was not about to try that again!

I'm afraid my kitty is going to end up hating me.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I highly recommend the baseball bat method. Knock cat out...deliver whatever you want into cat's mouth. Repeat as many times as necessary. ;)

lol... I like your sense of humor!

*** Starts looking for my Golf Clubs ***

Fore!!!

• forsharry
    forsharry

No your kitty will not hate you. Believe me...I've had to medicate my cats in various ways on numerous occasions. You should try having to give them liquid meds...oh that's fun...can you say Exorcist? :)

I would tell you to crush the tablet up with the tuna then...that would probably be your best bet if your cat doesn't like the forced pilling. But trust me...you cat will not hate you. Sure, she'll hold a grudge for awhile...but she'll come around. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit