How do you give a cat a pill?

by Elsewhere 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Brenda's method is spot-on.

Two things that I had to learn - or rather, that my cats taught me -

1. You don't have to use overwhelming force & violence (shock &awe) to get this done. It can be done smoothly and professionally, and the cat prefers that you do it right. Gentle pressure on the side of the cat's jaw will open it.

2. anything placed at the back of a cat's tongue MUST be swallowed. The way a cat's mouth and tongue are made, the raspy grain points down the throat. If the pill isn't swallowed, you didn't get it back far enough.

That said, once in a while I will fail to get the pill placed properly on the first try, but the second try works.

Here's a bit of information that I think EVERY cat owner should know: If your cat is achey - from a fight or arthritis or a fever or old age, he will BENEFIT GREATLY from one half of a baby aspirin. Best of all, the pain relief and anti-inflamatory action last for about 3 days from a single half-tablet dose. I got a small bottle of enteric (coated) baby aspirin and a pill splitter that I keep in "the cat drawer." I don't medicate him just for the heck of it, but when he's feeling crappy - like after he's received three vaccinations at once from the vet - a half baby aspirin helps him feel better.

My vet also told me that cats enjoy the herb Valerian (from which valium was discovered) almost as much as catnip. I have not confirmed that yet.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

double post

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Here's a bit of information that I think EVERY cat owner should know: If your cat is achey - from a fight or arthritis or a fever or old age, he will BENEFIT GREATLY from one half of a baby aspirin. Best of all, the pain relief and anti-inflamatory action last for about 3 days from a single half-tablet dose. I got a small bottle of enteric (coated) baby aspirin and a pill splitter that I keep in "the cat drawer." I don't medicate him just for the heck of it, but when he's feeling crappy - like after he's received three vaccinations at once from the vet - a half baby aspirin helps him feel better.

DO NOT GIVE LESS THAN 3 DAYS APART! Cats kidneys do not process the asprin like ours do. Do not give to a diabetic cat or a cat that has kidney problems. Otherwise, on the rare occasion, it doesn't hurt. I use 1/4 baby asprin.

My vet also told me that cats enjoy the herb Valerian (from which valium was discovered) almost as much as catnip. I have not confirmed that yet.

Cats LOVE Valerian! (I've read that there is no tie between valerian and valium - only similarity in name) I found this out when I had bought some valerian root (smells like dirty gym socks) which was in a paper bag, and overnight my Frieda (goddess bless her) got on the counter where she (almost) never goes, and tore that sack and it's contents to shreds!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Elsewhere, maybe a little Valerian before you have to pill your cat? She will be so relaxed she won't care!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Brenda, thank you for the clarification about when a cat should not be given aspirin and also for setting me straight about the fact that there is no "link" between Valerian and Valium. I thought that valium was the synthetic active ingredient of Valerian. I can't remember where I got that idea from, but it is incorrect. Valium (diazepam) is entirely synthetic and not found in nature.

(That is not to say that Valium is always bad or that natural molecules are always good. There are plenty of poisons that are completely "natural.")

Here's a page that might interest anyone curious about Valerian: http://www.viableherbalsolutions.com/singles/herbs/s570.htm

I'm going to get some for the cat. Yeah, that's the ticket! FOR THE CAT! I wonder if the cat might like to try peyote?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Elsewhere, maybe a little Valerian before you have to pill your cat? She will be so relaxed she won't care!

lol... I keep some in the medicine cabinet to help me sleep sometimes. Maybe I can get her stoned out of her mind while I give her the pill.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I use valerian extract to sleep, too. Max loves to sit on my chest at night and purrr. He LOVES to sniff my breath after I've taken my valerian!

Nate, you're welcome. Having had cats for many years, AND being interested in herbal (hairball?) medicine, for many years, I've picked up a couple things.... It was my vet that warned me about asprin, and it's confirmed on several sites on the net. I also learned about the non-connection between Valarian and Valium.... a common misconception, even though they work similarly.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Else, just break open a capsule and let her at the poweder! She'll love it and you.

• forsharry
    forsharry

I used to give a persian we once owned valium to try to calm her down. She had some...uh...issues. Needless to say it was funny to have a stoned persian run all over the place, smack into a wall and just lay there for a bit cause she's too relaxed to get up.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I got her to swallow a pill last night!

Under the advice of jeanniebeanz I went out and bought a pill-injector-thingy-mabob-whatcha-call-it. Basically you put the pill in the end and insert it in the cat's mouth and then press the plunger forward, which drops the pill in the back of the throat.

I held her by the scruff of the neck and used the pill injector and that was that! Kitty swallowed the pill! (Then she ran away and gave me a very ugly look )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit