Attn: XJW Community--Let's not just complain about WT-Let's be ACTIVISTS!!

by AndersonsInfo 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• willyloman
    willyloman
    And just think, all of this because of one carefully drafted letter to the editor of a local paper!

And there's the key right there, "one carefully drafted letter...."

Whenever a thread like this appears, there are always people ready to jump on the bandwagon and make something happen. Unfortunately, most people are incapable of joining the battle and becoming EFFECTIVE activists (and letter writers). The inevitable result of encouraging this sort of activism, I've really sorry to say, is a slew of half-baked letters go out and the x-jw community becomes tarred with the same brush as the dub, i.e., we're viewed as equally crazy AND we're scary.

What's really needed, and I suspect this will happen one day, is for a professional organization to form that will put professional publicists and writers to work on this task and approach it nationally and in an organized fashion. The role all of us could play would be to forward news reports about JWs to this clearinghouse organization and let them go on the offensive with press releases and/or letters to the editor (organized from the local community through a network yet to be established). I suppose its even possible this forum could be the catalyst for such a thing.

This is a lot of work, of course, would require money, and would need a level of dedication on the part of individuals who have the professional expertise and credentials to carry this out effectively. Barbara's work (cited above) is encouraging and is encouraged. But she's an experienced researcher with gifts most do not possess.

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

Anonymous or out in the open, either or both, always makes a good activist.

I enjoy the anonymous type activity even now that I am exposed. Harra! lets hear it for the ACTIVISTS.

and

Merry Christmas Watchtower

• IT Support
    IT Support

I agree with willyloman:

For what it's worth, I'll put my neck on the block and offer for brickbats--or bouquets--my recent letter to Irish newspapers:

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Whoops, I think I may have scared some people from writing to newspapers because I used the word "well-crafted" letter. Let me explain something here, willylowman. I personally know that Joel Jahn's letter took a lot of forethought and time to carefully craft it. I bet Joel and the other's involved rewrote that letter many, many times to get it just the way it appeared in the paper. Of course, it takes work to accomplish what Jahn's accomplished. The Jahn's wanted to really impress the issue on their neighbor's minds so they enlisted help. Any XJW here on JWD can do this if they are unsure of their letter writing ability. PM me and I'll be happy to help you. And I know of other people who post on XJW who would be willing to help. Remember the axiom, "Where there's a will there's a way." If you have the will to write a good letter, we have the way!
    However, I think that maybe we are making a mountain out of a molehill here. I read the Letters to the Editor page in my newspaper regularly and I think ABOUT what people are saying, not reading to find fault with the writer's writing ability. Sometimes, people whose sentences are not grammatically correct or write like they speak (sort of uneducated) make the most sense about a subject that is important to them.
    A few months ago, about 5,000 letters and e-mails were sent in protest by XJWs to the KNOCKING producers and PBS because of our concern that the documentary about JWs was extremely one-sided. Consequently, PBS insisted that the producers remove from their website the statement that KNOCKING was absolutely going to be shown on PBS stations. See, we did accomplish something by our ACTIVIST work. And to be sure, most of the letters were not written by expert letter writers.
    willyloman, I know you meant well, but perhaps you might have scared people away from my suggestion with your comment that a poorly written letter will make the community think that former members of JWs are crazy and scary. Actually, the community thinks that Jehovah's Witnesses are crazy and scary, not former JWs. I think the community would welcome information from former JWs that would help them to see that JWs are a detriment to society because of their blood, disfellowshipping/shunning and sexual child abuse policies.

Your suggestion that what we really need is a professional organization to form, which would have professional publicists and writers to be activists for us, is interesting. I say let's start such an organization very soon. I'm willing to work towards that goal. If there are any of you out there that want to help, and not with money, just PM me.
    Maybe we can have such an organization up and running within a few weeks. Oh, you think I'm kidding? Just PM me and we'll talk. Let's view 2006 as the year that our activism will ruin WT's credibility. How about an activist slogan for 2006? Any suggestions? If you are reading this post to the end let me tell you that this month there will be one big reason for you to become an activist. Just sit tight folks and enjoy the ride!
    Barbara

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Okay, I received two PMs so far which I will answer shortly. Anybody else want to get involved with activism?

Barbara

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Well, four more people PMd me. Please keep those PMs coming. Are you really interested in doing something about Watchtower's power? If you are, let me hear from you.

Barbara

• TooOpinionated
  • AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

If I told you that something bigger is on the horizon than Dateline, BBC, CBC, Sunday (Australia), and all other TV programs which exposed the sexual child abuse cover-up by Watchtower in 2002-2003, would you believe me? Have I ever misled you? I'll answer that--NO! So believe me now and
    KEEP WATCHING JWD FOR THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

Barbara

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I agree with willyloman:

• DannyHaszard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit