What is on your 'current' reading list?

by AK - Jeff 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I mean stuff that is right now, this minute on your table or desk, not something you might read someday?

My desk is currently littered with;

• Why won't they Listen? Ken Ham
    • What the Cults believe. Irvine Robertson
    • Harron's Illustrative Guide to 140 Dog Breeds. Katarina von der Leyen
    • More Science Braintwisters and Paradoxes Christopher P Jargocki
    • Have You Seen My Mother Bryan Lee McGlothin
    • The Purpose Driven Life Rick Warren

Yours?

Jeff

• caligirl
    caligirl

Currently, I am in the middle of a book called A Breath of Snow and Ashes - it is the 6th installment in a series by Diana Gabaldon. Very detailed and very long, but I have loved the series since discovering it. Anyone with interest in historical fiction should find the series very addicting.

• Jourles
    Jourles

I can't seem to finish this damn Bourne Ultimatum book if my life depended on it. It's taking forever to get through it. Otherwise, I've got a couple Wine Spectator's, a few Wired's and a stack of LearnKey CDROM's for Cisco ICND which is a prereq for a class I need to take on their 10K routers. I guess you could call those CD's *reading* material. Reading on the computer at least...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

On my bedside cabinet:

• The Message - Peterson
    • Morning and Evening - Spurgeon
    • Dogmatics in Outline - Karl Barth
    • Magic an Occult Primer - David Conway
    • Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus - John Gray

And on the floor, stacked by my bed:

• The Practice of the Free Church of Scotland
    • Authorised Standards of the Free Church
    • A book of Sudoku puzzles
    • Post Graduate Diploma in Management Study Guide - Open University Press

On my desk in front of me:

• Enjoying the Presence of God - Martin Lloyd Jones
    • Mere Christianity - CS Lewis
    • The Mountain of Silence - Kyriacos C Markides
    • From Science to God - Peter Russell
    • Bible - KJV
    • The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    • Accounting and Finance - Open University Press
    • Mental Health Improvement: Evidence and Practice - Scottish Executive

Don't get me started on what's on the shelf on the wall in front of me - there's over sixty books at a rough guestimate!!!

Then in the living room I have a bookcase 8' high and 4' wide crammed. Then I have boxes and boxes upstairs. I love books!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ross - Is this really your B-day? If so, congrats.

Jeff

• Bryan
    Bryan

STATE OF FEAR Michael Crichton

PADDLING WITH KIDS Bruce Lessels

TRUTH BOOK Joy Castro

SWANN'S WAY Marcel Proust

OCCULT THEOCRACY Lady Queenborough

COMBATTING CULT

MIND CONTROL Steven Hassan

Bryan

Have You Seen My Family

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeff:
    Tomorrow; and I'm still claiming to be in my thirties, much to some of the more inquisitive gals' chagrin

I also forgot to mention that I have a tool catalogue on my desk. Every guy should have a tool catalogue on their desk, right?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Ross are you planning to do an OU MBA? Nearest Summer School to you would be Stirling university I think

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oops, forgot two more:
    On the desk "Focus on Leadership: Servant Leadership for the 21st Century" and on the bedside cabinet " Praying with the Orthodox Tradition".

Stilla:
    That's exactly what I'm doing. The postgrad Dip is the first year of the MBA. I then have another year-and-a-half to go for the Masters. The Summer School is indeed in Stirling, during April. The Stirling Management Centre is a good facility. I've been to meetings and seminars there on a number of occasions.

The course is a lot of hard work, and combined with a busy time at work at the moment it means that I'm posting a lot less around here.

Back to the studies...

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I just finished reading: Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman. LOL. I thought it would be Erma Bombeck-ish. It wasn't. But it was an ok read for me.

About this time last year I started Crisis of Conscience. Got enough info to confirm what I was learning about the org and just haven't felt a burning urge to plug on. But it still sits out. Highly visible and accessible.

Smart Women Finish Rich. Very practical and informative. I read a bit at a time. Make adjustments and then read some more. I made huge financial gains in just the past 18months and have changed my life dramatically for the better.

1984. Just started but only about 10 pages into it. I got this because I keep hearing about correlations between it and the org.

Brave New World. It was required reading in High School. I wanted to read it as an adult 30 years later.

Close the Deal. I'm relatively new to sales as a specific career. The info is practical without making me feel that I have to be an agressive jerk in order to make a living in my new career. It's great because I can open to any page and get something out of it. It's a good read first thing in the morning while getting my day started. Or in the afternoon when I need a little break. Sometimes I make photocopies of a few pages to take with me while waiting in doctor's office, etc. It helps me stay focused and get to the point so I'm not wasting my or my customer's time (with unnecessary chatter or with a product that is clearly not appropriate for them or will take too much of my time with minimal return.)

Soft-Selling in a Hard World. Much to the chagrin of our VP of Sales. He doesn't respect anything other than hard-core agression. (I took this book home after the first week.)

I have a very large custom-made book case 10' wide x 7' tall. At one time it was filled double layers with books. Last week I boxed up all my jw literature (whilst I decide what I want to do with it all) Ten years ago I gave away several sets of encyclopedias, W&A Bound Volumes (complete set from 1968 thru 1992), and nearly the full collection of Reader's Digest books going back to the 50's with quite a few from before then.

That's about it for me. I look forward to doing more reading once I get into my new home. Mid Jan is the move date. I just hope I get my present home sold in time or else, with two mortgages, I'll be using my books for heat...

-Denise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit