Hi, I'm very new!!!

by Rebekah 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat
    I'm wondering how it's become such a mainstream religion rather than labelled a 'cult'.

Time, Rebekah. Time. If a cult gets through it's initial growing pains, we get used to them. The JW's have been around for about 150 years.

Does anyone know why you can't play chess???? ; I won't even start questioning the rest of the list!!

This is variously enforced by the JW's. I heard it was a big deal back in the seventies when Bobby Fisher is in the news. In a nutshell, if it's fun, the JW's will have a rule about it. Except for drinking. Drinking is OK. How did they justify abstaining from chess? Pagan origin. JW's blame a lot on pagan origins.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Rebekah,

Chess is a game of strategy and therefore flies in the face of the Biblical admonition to "learn war no more."

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

However as a jdub I did play chess. And fairly often.

Those nose-in-the-air types regarded it as evil, but even a deck of playing cards has 'war' implications.

They don't enforce that one too much - but the do have a rule for about everything.

Jeff

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Rebekah! Welcome!!!

I can tell your a smarty already in the fact that you look into things before you take action.

Keep reading I hope you enjoy what you find here. Remember everyone is welcome. JW, exJW or never were JW. It's the diversity of this place that makes it really good!

Personally I grew up as a JW, believing it all to be true. When I discovered failed propehcies, invented dates, flip flop doctrines I was absolutely shattered. I invested my youth and up until age 28 being part of this religon. And it was very unhappy let me assure you.

Head on over to the Best Of section. Its incredible. Please stick around!

Miss Peaches

• On the Fence
    On the Fence

Legolas-

You're kidding right? You can't donate money to the Red Cross?!? Why the hell not?! What's they're reasoning behind that? I don't see the JW's there to help victims of anything unless they're helping other devout JW's.

No Garage Sales?! Really? Why. I hadn't heard that one before either. I guess I really wasn't in as deep as I thought I was. Whew!

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Legolas-

LMAO...Nope I am not kidding!

They can't give to the Red Cross because they are involved with blood, and garage sales...LOL...you might bring home something that has a demon in it!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    You can't donate money to the Red Cross?!? Why the hell not?!

Think, McFly, think! It's a CROSS, for christsakes!! Crosses are pagan! pagan bad!

...and according to the Witnesses, many of the items for sale at garage sales are DEMONIZED! Oooohh, scary kids!!!

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

In my experience garage sales were ok, but yes there was always that fear that some item could contain wicked spirits or demons. So a lot of JWs cast a wary eye at anything bought at thrift stores or garage sales. If it is a church garage sale, then the answer is absolutely definitely not.

If anything is church related, its pretty much a no-no, even if the cause is seen to be good and noble by persons who are not JWs. To JWs, all other religions are seen as Babylon the Great, controlled by Satan the Devil. So any efforts carried out by these agencies would be indirectly supporting an entity controlled by Satan in the mind of the JW.

Axelspeed

• daystar
    daystar

OTF

I don't see the JW's there to help victims of anything unless they're helping other devout JW's.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Bob, tell us what she's won!!

• Ellie
    Ellie

I think you can play chess, I know my brother has a chess set and hes a witness.

Rebekah, what I'd say to you is if you do decide to talk with the witnesses and it is your decision, then just make sure you do your own research and don't take anything they say as true unless you can prove that it is from other sources.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit