exjw, is there a script

by carla 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

Is there any one scripture (or more) that really suprised you once you took the wt glasses off and just read the Bible as is, without all the extra literature?

• Honesty
    Honesty

1 Cor 1:18 (HCSB)

For to those who are perishing the message of the cross is foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is God’s power.

• luna2
    luna2

This isn't quite what you asked for, but this is a scripture that was running through my head quite a bit just before I stopped going as it didn't seem to apply to being one of Jeboobie's Witlesses at all.

Matthew 11:28-30 28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

• anewme
    anewme

I agree with Luna 2....Matt.11:28 is a pretty appealing offer from Jesus to worship God in a way that brings contentment that you dont find in the reality of the witness lifestyle.
    All the mandatory requirements of attendance, performance, preaching time slips, behaviour create a tension and make the free expression of worship obligatory and a drudge. Might as well be Jewish for all the laws.

• carla
    carla

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. Any more? the only problem with Jesus' yoke being light, is I have tried that one too. You know how they drill in to their little heads that they really 'want' to do all the meetings, and it takes 'effort', etc....... But, I'm glad you found those scripts if they helped release your mind a bit from the stronghold the wt had at one time.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

After I felt free to look beyond the Society, I was surprised to find that Mt. 24:37 does not support the concept of Noah as one of the songs put it --'he built and he preached more and more.' Other Bibles & even the Interlinear indicate the people had no warning of the coming flood. 'They knew not', etc. NOT 'they took no note'. This is in harmony with the context descibing Jesus sudden return with no warning--no 'composite sign'. True, Peter called Noah a 'preacher of righteousness' but says nothing about him warning the world population of a coming flood. Maybe his 'preaching' is why he was chosen to be saved before he ever started the ark.

B.

• luna2
    luna2

I guess you have to be at the point where you are finding it all to be a real burden for that scripture to start to bother you, carla.

You tell yourself that if you keep at it and successfully put on the "new personality" that you won't find all of the JW crap so difficult. You expect that over time, you'll learn how its done; that it will get easier and easier until going to a billion meetings, out in service, fraternizing with only JWs, the weekly guilt trip, and following all of the suggestions from the WTS just comes naturally, and then you'll be happy, happy, happy in your abundance of spirituality all the day long.

It sometimes takes a while for it to sink in that it will never change, that it will always feel like you're carry a couple of hundred pounds of expectations, rules, disappointment, depression, and guilt on your shoulders, that there is no rest in this organization and the load is very, very heavy.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    John 10:16 '"..I have other sheep which are not of this fold...they too will become one flock.."

Back up and read the entire chapter without WTS blinders on and you will see JC is obviously refering to the conversion of the gentiles NOT two classes of people.

1st John 5 v1

'Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...."

Whoever is anybody and everybody, not a select few.

I love hearing JW's try and explain this one. The most common reply I've heard was "Yes, but that only applies to the anointed" So I had to ask "does that mean that all of 1st John is only talking to the anointed?" I was told yes, at first; until I pointed out that it was just encouragement to love God and your neighbor. Then I was told no all of 1st John was just for the anointed (same conversation mind you) only Ch5 v1. Then I asked for understanding on how you can pick and choose which verses are for the anointed and which are for the pawns. This of course led to the "Don't move ahead of the Organization", The FDS will deliver the proper food and the proper time", and my personal favorite---"We have scholars in

Anyway that was the first scriprture that made me start to open my eyes. It is so simple and to the point.

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

Ephesians 2:8-9 (New International Version) 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. ------- This one through me for a loop. When I stopped going to meetings, I looked at this scripture in a whole new light. (pardon the pun) I wondered why the word "grace" is not a Jehovah's Witness word. It's almost like saying "the lord" or using jesus' name too often. This scripture says a person can be saved through faith. This is the exact opposite of what I had been taught all my life as a witness. As a witness I was taught that you had to have "works" to back up faith to be saved. The Witnesses were able to stuff so many JW requirements in to that little word "works." But, that scripture clearly states that salvation is a gift. You don't do anything for a gift...it's just given to you. This scripture made me think a few things. First, I thought hey! why do the witnesses make people do back flips to be saved??? So many meetings, field service, rules, rules, rules. It made me doubt the witnesses. Like they used the Bible for their selfish reasons and not the way it was intended. Second, I thought...if there are scriptures that completely contradict this scripture it made me doubt the bible...examples: (Phil. 2:12 "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.") (Jas 2:17 "Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.") That one scripture gave me a lot to think about. First I was happy to find out that you don't need to go to meetings or field service to be saved. Then I was angry that the Witnesses had tricked me all my life. Then I was hurt to find out that the Bible had also tricked me all my life. In any event, I was glad to have spotted that one scripture on my way out. If you're interested in going round in circles....here's some more information:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit