Chewing Gum at KH

by stillajwexelder 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

It certainly was when I went. So that's why I always stuck it under the chair.

• TD
    TD

Chewing gum appears to be strongly frowned on at times in JW land: Apparently, it's considered an unnecessary distraction

*** km 11/95 p. 2 Behave in a Manner Worthy of the Good News ***4 Love for our neighbors should make us careful to avoid causing distractions during the meetings. Whispering, eating, chewing gum, rattling papers, and making unnecessary trips to the rest room may interfere with the concentration of others and detract from the dignity due Jehovah’s place of worship

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    making unnecessary trips to the rest room

That's why I always sat in the back, didnt want to distrub anyone while they were taking in such important spiritual food

• blondie
    blondie

Chewing gum through the years in the KM

km 8/01 pp. 3-4 Good Manners—A Trait of Godly People ***

During congregation meetings, Christian ministers of God are speaking in order to impart some spiritual gift to upbuild us. (Rom. 1:11) It would certainly demonstrate very poor manners on our part if we were to doze off, noisily chew gum, repeatedly whisper to someone sitting nearby, make unnecessary trips to the rest room, read unrelated material, or attend to other things during the meeting

km 11/99 p. 7 Question Box ***

Of course, all of us can lighten the load by not dropping chewing gum or litter inside or outside the hall.

km 1/98 p. 1 Show Respect for Jehovah’s Place of Worship ***

How

to Avoid Being Disrespectful: Appreciating the dignity and sacredness of our worship, undoubtedly we would not want to distract others by whispering, eating, chewing gum, rustling papers, making unnecessary trips to the rest room, or habitually arriving late for meetings.

km 11/95 p. 2 Behave in a Manner Worthy of the Good News ***

Love for our neighbors should make us careful to avoid causing distractions during the meetings. Whispering, eating, chewing gum, rattling papers, and making unnecessary trips to the rest room may interfere with the concentration of others and detract from the dignity due Jehovah’s place of worship.

*** km 7/86 p. 3 Not Neglecting the House of Our God ***

Each one should exercise neighbor love and be careful not to cause distractions. Whispering, eating, chewing and snapping gum, rattling candy wrappers, making unnecessary trips to the rest room, and habitually arriving late all interfere with others’ concentration and detract from the dignity due Jehovah’s place of worship. "Love . . . does not behave indecently," and such poor manners are out of place in the Kingdom Hall. (1 Cor. 13:4, 5; Gal. 6:10) Worldly meeting places are often unsightly and even damaged when people carelessly dispose of chewing gum, candy, and food. All of us, and especially parents of young children, should take care that we do not spoil Jehovah’s building in this way.—Compare Deuteronomy 23:14.

*** km 3/83 p. 1 Abound in Love Toward One Another ***

. Parents need to remind their children always to be respectful, not to run in the Kingdom Hall or put gum or candy on the chairs or on the floor.

*** km 5/76 p. 3 How Do You View Your Kingdom Hall? ***

Maintenance will be kept to a minimum if all are careful to avoid breaking equipment or damaging the furnishings. Chewing gum should never be disposed of by placing it under a chair. And you know that dropping gum or candy on the carpet or floor, or spilling the baby’s milk on it, or neglecting to wipe your feet on coming into the hall, are all things that make floor care very difficult

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Oh, so chewing gum is linked to "behaving indecently!" We had a couple of old coots who liked to clip their fingernails too, during the meetings. Woke me up sometimes, lol!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I chewed gum for years in the Kingdom Hall w/o being told not to. This was in the '80s. My mom used to give me Trident gum in the late '70s when I was a wee tot to keep me from being bored to tears. Then in the '80s a friend of mine and I experimented with new gums. The Kingdom Hall was where I had my first experience with Zebra Stripe Gum. I also had my Bazooka days and Tidal Wave days. My old green Bible still has pages glued together by old gum wads....

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    We had a couple of old coots who liked to clip their fingernails too, during the meetings.

We had one of those, too... yuck.

As far a chewing gum - big no-no. They announce it at the assemblies, even saying that if we see our brother chewing gum, we may want to lovingly remind him that chewing gum is not permited in the assembly hall.... Good grief.

GGG

• jula71
    jula71

YUP! Attendants would be on the look out and tap people on the shoulder and tell them to spit or swallow. Something about it being the long lost 11th commandment. and of course, big no-no at the assemblies.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

no-no or not....no-one should be sticking it under the chairs...kh or anywhere

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

*** km 8/01 pp. 3-4 Good Manners—A Trait of Godly People ***

During congregation meetings, Christian ministers of God are speaking in order to impart some spiritual gift to upbuild us. (Rom. 1:11) It would certainly demonstrate very poor manners on our part if we were to doze off, noisily chew gum, repeatedly whisper to someone sitting nearby, make unnecessary trips to the rest room, read unrelated material, or attend to other things during the meeting

How else were you supposed to stay awake during all those boring meetings???? I just chewed quietly all those years!!!

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit