Are their Any benifits to Churchgoing....even if you disbelieve?

by gumby 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

No....I'm not tellin everyone to start goin to church....so get off my arse already!

I did however find this article interesting. It suggests that social interaction of ANYKIND ( healthful I assume),....can be good a good thing.

I'm tryin to decide if I wanna go to a senoir citizens pow wow, or go to church this Sunday and listen to a sermon. Hows about if I went golfing with a friend or two instead.......does that count?

USA Today then quotes Duke University Medical Center's Dr. Harold Koenig as offering that "people who attend church are both physically healthier and less depressed." (Q: As compared with whom?) He acknowledges that those who shun church in favor of praying alone at home, with or without TV evangelists, suffer worse health than others. (Again, exactly who are the others?) Dr. Thomas Oxman of Dartmouth Medical School had earlier shown that people who participate in organized secular group activities such as a historical society, local government or senior-citizen center appear to accrue life-protective health benefits following cardiac surgery.[3] Taking all this into account, it appears that the social aspects of religion, rather than a deity, may be largely responsible for its beneficial effects on health. [This explanation has been reinforced by more recent research, as reported on Aug. 17, 1998, in USA Today's article, "Prayer can lower blood pressure." Quoting David B. Larson, co-author of a relevant study in the 8/18 issue of the International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, "There is something to the social part [of religion] that is very important, and you don't get that sitting on your couch. . . . If they relied on TV or radio, it wasn't as beneficial."]

Gumby

• jgnat
    jgnat

Also, it is very handy to be known by your community when you're filling out a passport application. How many people know you well for two years or more?

From personal experience.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

it's about interacting with other people ~ reminds me of a song:

PEOPLE

FANNY BRICE
    We travel single all
    Maybe we're lucky but I don't know
    With them just let one kid fall down
    And seven mothers faint
    I guess we're both happy, but maybe we ain't

People, people who need people,
    Are the luckiest people in the world
    We're children, needing other children
    And yet letting a grown-up pride
    Hide all the need inside
    Acting more like children than children
    Lovers are very special people
    They're the luckiest people in the world
    With one person one very special person
    A feeling deep in your soul
    Says you were half now you're whole
    No more hunger or thirst
    But first be a person who needs people
    People who need people
    Are the luckiest people in the world...
    Hum...mmm...
    A feeling deep in your soul
    Says you were half now you're whole
    No more hunger or thirst
    But first be a person who needs people
    People who need people
    Are the luckiest people in the world...

• oldflame
    oldflame

I heard on the news awhile back that those who attend church usually live longer, happier and healthier. It was said that there is only one record of anyone dying while at a church service. Most christians seem to be a more somber peaceful type of people. Most christians I know are not bitter, judgemental or sarcastic. So I guess it stands to reason for this.......

• gumby
    gumby
    It was said that there is only one record of anyone dying while at a church service

I know of more dubs that have died while at "church service." A governing body member collapsed on stage I believe....was it swingle? I don't believe that statement you heard to be true.....but I DO believe you heard it

Keep in mind, the study layed emphasis on the social aspect rather than the religious one. I think a study on health with a non-religious social group vs. a religious social group would be an interesting read.

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

So let's get this right, 'cos you being all grumblatious, you're asking 'biout people going alomg to church even if they think it's hooey?

Dunno why they'd go thru all that but I spose if they did, sure, they'd benefit from the "good association" (where've we heard that before?)

Really though, you might as well belong to the local chapter of the Klu Klux Klan or the local gun club or the local stamp collecting society - either way you'd get the association. Humans are social creatures, we need people to interact with, so yep, I guess going to church could do it too.

Why'd you ask Grumblestiltskin? Thinkin' of goin' but too scared to walk in the door?

• TopHat
    TopHat

From my observation: I have been to a few churches of different denominations and I know friends and family who belong to one church or another....I guess if you live in a blissful state and ignore what lies underneath, one can be happy with attending church and it's social gatherings..

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    ignore what lies underneath

Do tell. What have i been missing out on?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I went to an Easter service last year. It was a very surreal experience. Seeing all the sincere worshippers, praying and singing and sincerely loving what I believed was a non-existant deity... surreal is the only word that fits.

But for a freebie social circle, it's hard to beat. Some even have coffee bars!

Dave

• pc
    pc

I attend a great church. I am not sure what I believe, but all the people are great. There is one family who are EX-JW's and we love to talk about the lunacy of JW's. They serve bagels and Starbucks before and after service. My kids love going and hanging out with thier friends and playing football and stuff. It is a pretty great experience for us as a family. I have gotten into a great community service program in a very poor area not far from my town and love going to help people. I probably never would have gotten invovled if I didn't attend this church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit