Are their Any benifits to Churchgoing....even if you disbelieve?

by gumby 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

Church is good. The pot luck dinners are awesome. It beats sleeping in Sunday mornings. It's your duty to give people a context to be nice to you. If you never let them be nice to you, how can they be two faced?
    You should regularly be someplace where you can wish you were someplace else.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When selecting a church remember to find one that doesn't have a phobia about showing cleavage.

W

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Well... I have never been judged and kicked out of either my HR Society group or my Renaissance group and both have filled a social need... so...there are many ways to fill the social need without being a hypocrite.

I would have to say that if church does it for ya and you can swallow the bull, go for it. I'm with Dave though, last time I went to a 'church' service it felt like I was trapped in a Mr. Bean episode... It was very hard to keep a straight face...

J

• gumby
    gumby
    Why'd you ask Grumblestiltskin? Thinkin' of goin' but too scared to walk in the door?

Well, for your information Mr. Smartarse pants...I DID go. I went a couple of weeks ago for "obsevational" purposes. I wanted to see how I felt, see some old friends, see how the information presented would stike me since I've "drifted off". Sad to say, the dang pastor was out deer hunting and the youth pastor was doin the speaking .....so I just stayed for Sunday School and left.................so there!

I'd even go to the hall if the brothers wouldn't think Gumby was comin back in the truth......just to examine things and see what was what. It would be fun. I'm gonna do it out of town someday. Anyone wanna come with me?

Gumby

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Do tell Tophat, what do you think "lies underneath"?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Anyone wanna come with me?

I'd go with ya Gumbdude! Of course, you may have to carry me out of the building if I collapsed from the larfter... How much can you carry?

J

• anewme
    anewme

I agree with Jeanie and Dave, there are social benefits to church going, but NOT WITH ANY OLD CHURCH.
    Some are very aware of the social aspects of their endeavor and provide before and after refreshments and welcome a wide variety of people.

But the same benefits could be gained by any association that was welcoming and nurturing.

We like to feel part of a group and feel respected and welcomed.

That being said, the social aspects of a church are not enough to keep many of us continuing.
    It must have substance that satifies the mind too.

I have attended a couple of churches since my dfing at the request of work mates or family members.
    Each time I have been touched watching the attendees earnestly worshipping.
    It is a weekly affirmation and reminder and a communion of neighbors.
    It sometimes feels to me to be humans at their best while they are singing in church.

• gumby
    gumby
    what do you think "lies underneath"?

Mrs.Jones....get your mind out of the gutter. Your still thinkin about that love line you said you had on your belly in another thread and you just want to see if they have one too......doncha?

Gumby

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:They serve bagels and Starbucks before and after service.

Sweet, I'm in! Praise Jesus-ah!

GBL

• anewme
    anewme

Gumby, you still thinking about that????
    Good grief!!!
    That really got ya, didnt it?
    I'm still thinking of Tetra's!

I wonder how many of us are thinking these things in church????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit