Police caution woman for breastfeeding in public!

by nicolaou 99 Replies latest social current

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Europe laughed itself silly over the Janet Jackson tit-exposure thingy. A nation whipping itself into a frenzy over maybe some kids sort-of seeing a titty, when the self-same parents typically allow the self-same children to watch one violent act after another on TV; a typical American child will have see TENS of thousand s of acts of violence on TV by the time they leave home. Which is worse, a kid being exposed to a culture of violence where blowing someone's brains out is cool and glamourous or a kid seeing a tit sometimes. I think we BOTH know what the answer to that is.

Abaddon, I agree that the Janet Jackson thing was really overblown. But I have to say that media really pushed those protesters, which made it seem worse than it really was. I honestly don't think it was that big of a deal. I have many Christian friends (Baptist) that thought it was ridiculous that it got that much attention. The media made it seem like America is full of puritanical prudes, when I don't think that's the case at all. The percentage of those people are in the minority.

In the South of France in 90 degrees of heat it is SO nice not to bother with clothes

90 degrees? Ya bunch of wussies. Here in Texas, we'll go for two months straight in the summer when it's over 100. We're lucky if the temperature goes below 90 in the late evening!

I swear less men will stare at your tits round the pool in a naturist resort than if you had a bikini on round a normal hotel pool - funny, eh?

I imagine it's because men are imagining what's under the bikini, when it's hanging out for all to see it takes that away. What's the fun in imagining when it's in your point of view all day? I don't want you to think I'm a prude when I say that I just don't want to see a naked breast hanging out at a restaurant. It has nothing to do with sexuality. I guess it has more to do with nakedness. Some women just do not have pretty breasts to look at. And if the mother practically has it laying on the table for her child to suckle, it's just not appetizing to me. Perhaps if it were a beautiful breast I'd have a different opinion. I think it all comes down to courtesy going both ways. In spite of the fact that I don't like boobs at a restaurant, I am not offended by a woman breastfeeding in public and would never call the cops on her. But on the same token, I would hope that the mother has enough courtesy for the public around her to know to cover up as much as etiquette in that situation would call for. I don't see why balance on both sides of the issue are that difficult. Andi

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    But on the same token, I would hope that the mother has enough courtesy for the public around her to know to cover up as much as etiquette in that situation would call for

Absolutely well said. Theres just no need to get em out when you are breastfeeding. Its entirely possible to do the whole thing without flappin em about. I managed it. You'd have been hard pressed to know I was feeding. (apart from all the slurping and belching that went on under my jumper - but then I told my husband 'darling, no-one wants to hear that')

And you dont need to do that whole 'grabbing your nipple and aiming it at the baby' thing. The baby can find that big ole nipple itself without you waving it about like a fashion accessory.

I have to say I had a friend who used to get hers out in good witless company, but her nipples were like small south sea islands and it made me feel sick. I just wished she had subscribed to the big wooly jumper brigade, and not the 'I am an earth mother and you are my audience' brigade.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

kk, you are so funny :)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    (apart from all the slurping and belching that went on under my jumper - but then I told my husband 'darling, no-one wants to hear that')
    I have to say I had a friend who used to get hers out in good witless company, but her nipples were like small south sea islands and it made me feel sick. I just wished she had subscribed to the big wooly jumper brigade, and not the 'I am an earth mother and you are my audience' brigade.

LMAO!!!! *snort* LMAO!!!

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I think a mother can breastfeed without making it a tasteless production.

Katie, you kill me.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Actually urinating in front of others only came to be frowned on in the sexcrazed 19 christian century.

In 16th and 17th century London, the theaters had urinals at the walls. The globe had them behind the back row on each tier. Men went to pee and could watch the play at the same time. The puritans put paid to it.

In some parts of France you can still find urinals, where the upper body and legs are visible and the trough is there to catch the pee. In the street. Men go in and continue talking to their girlfriends and companions, and you can see it flowing away... Of course peeing is not a sexual signal except for the urolagially inclined.

Whee. AND: Littletoe, did you know that in Scotland a man can crap in public, and it is not illegal unless he pees, or shows his genitalia. Must be why you invented the Kilt...

HB

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Well I have to say I'm surprised at us Brit's. The Daily Mail ran a poll on it's website and it ranks 8th in the ten most popular polls. The question was Are you offended by seeing breastfeeding mothers? It has taken 5351 votes so far and the 'running result' shows 56% are offended with just 44% not offended.

Go figure.

Here are some of the comments the story generated, you can veiw them all here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to see this kind of thing. I think it's feminists trying to assert themselves.

- Anon, Liverpool, UK

Breast-feeding should be done in the privacy of public toilets or at home. When I come across an exhibitionist breast feeding in full public view I tend to stare - that usually moves her on.

- KS, Scotland

It is absolutely not on for a woman to breastfeed in public. The baby's needs should be attended to prior to taking the child out or if this is not possible then either an emergency bottle should be taken or arrangements made to feed the baby in an area of privacy. There is too much lack of good taste in society at present and a feeling anything goes without thought for anyone else.

- Michael Finlay, Penarth Wales

I'm offended by seeing mothers smoking cigarettes whilst in the company of their babies. Also babies left to 'feed themselves' with a propped up bottle in their little mouths, in a pram. Breastfeeding is perfectly natural, normal & better for the baby. The person who complained should be ashamed of themselves.

- Geraldine, Swansea, UK

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Billygoat,

I understand what you mean when you say the whole boob is exposed. I personally think there is a whole line of nursing/breastfeeding shirts designed by men for their pleasure only.

And I breastfeed my son and would never wear one of those shirts! It's like it unsnaps from the shoulder and lets you see the skin from the collarbone down to under the breast on one side! What The Helicopter is that about? It is definately not discreet!

Also, it'd be pretty stupid to wear in the winter...frostbite on one whole side of the body if you have to nurse your baby out in the cold!

I am more offended by big breasted women or fat women who pour themselves into a toddler sized piece of clothing and prance about the mall with half their butt, stomach, and breasts wiggling around for everyone to see....just because you have it doesn't mean the rest of us want to see you flaunt it...

WG - of the I've got em... but keep it under my very nice Old Navy T-shirt class of people!

• avishai
    avishai

\This makes me wonder...do most people find that ALL breasts attractive??? Maybe I'm in the minority that don't think that ALL breasts are attractive. Did anyone ever see that Tonya Harding video

No, but I don't find ALL faces attractive either. I put boobs in the same category as a face. I don't think a dog's or a cat's A-hole is very attractive either, but i'm not gonna lobby for them to be covered up because they "offend me". Attractiveness is'nt the issue.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

HB:

AND: Littletoe, did you know that in Scotland a man can crap in public, and it is not illegal unless he pees, or shows his genitalia. Must be why you invented the Kilt...

Have you ever tried to crap without peeing?

Apparently spitting on the sidewalk is a punishable offense, too!

• Ellie
    Ellie

If all the officer did was advise her that someone had made a complaint, why is she getting so arsey about it? Perhaps she should take up the issue with the person who made the complaint?

I haven't got a problem with breastfeeding and most right-minded people are the same. However, we live in a country where people complain about everything and it would appear that this woman has been a victim of such a narrow-minded soul.

Having said that, this woman has then gone on to prove she is no better than the original complainant, because she is complaining about the Police Officer doing exactly the right thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit