Jan 1st WT: Reaching out, Higher Education and Providing for one's needs

by truthseeker 70 Replies latest jw friends

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance
    The thing that bothers me the most is the premise that higher education is for greedy people that want material things in life. Education is about so much more than that, what about getting a fulfilling career, something that you enjoy doing, not 'have' to do for $, reaching your potential, expanding your mind, increasing your knowledge base, security, brain exercise, etc.

Very true. Although I didn't go to college, I ended up with a good paying job. However, it wasn't a fulfilling career for me. So when I could retire from the State of Washington, I did. I started college and am now just finishing my master's in applied linguistics. I'll probably never make what I made as a computer programmer, but teaching is something I enjoy doing. I certainly didn't go to college for the money!

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I would like to see some testimony or documents to prove this:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/101976/1.ashx

• VM44
    VM44
    The problem was that his secular work interfered with his regular meeting attendance. How did he address the situation? He simplified his life, resigned from his job, and in time found employment that did not interfere with his Christian activities.

The Watchtower is a hypocrite!

From postings on this board it has been well established that the secular work assignments of Bethel workers come first before meetings and field service!

Again, whatever benefits The Watchtower takes precedence!

--VM44

• blondie
    blondie

Rob Pollock would have to be licensed to be an engineer in New York State. Does the state have a licensing department with records? I'll check. But if someone can beat me to it...

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.nysed.gov/COMS/OP001/OPSCR1

Not listed unless Rob is not his first name.

16 001039 POLLOCK CLARENCE DUBOIS NOT ON FILE,

16 049339 POLLOCK JAMES R ROYAL OAK, MI

16 043114 POLLOCK JOHN A LIGHTHOUSE POINT, FL

16 067740 POLLOCK JOHN MICHAEL CLEBURNE, TX

16 024303 POLLOCK MICHAEL D SARATOGA, CA

16 068737 POLLOCK RICHARD CHERMSIDE SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY

16 048202 POLLOCK WALTER BLOOMFIELD, CT

16 057138 POLLOCK WILLIAM K HUNT, NY

• minimus
    minimus

How EXACTLY does Jehovah provide?? Does he perform a miracle? The WT. ALWAYS wants you to just barely make it, rely upon Jehovah and be thankful that you're still alive tomorrow.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Does the January 1 issue have the 2005 Service Year Statistics?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The society always points to materialism as the primary reson why it discourages higher education. However, just as detrimental to an individual's faith in the Wt society is that someone who goes to college learns how to think critically. Because, what we were taught to believe as witnesses falls completely apart if you begin to think critically.

• atypical
    atypical

Blondie, I second what you said - I know of so many longtime elders who now have no position in the congregation, they refuse to push themselves anymore,they sit towards the back etc. And most of them are extremely smart and nice people, they were sort of "power" elders back in the days I was a kid. Now, since the congregation where I live has mostly newly fired up ambitious types, the real "gifts in men" get hardly any respect. If this is happening everywhere, that the smart ones are stepping down and backing off in their activity, it has got to be getting to a near crisis point for the watchtower. Or do they just fill the spaces with the ambitious who have no brain but parrot what they read well?

NewYork44M - you are exactly right. How many people do you know who get a full university degree and end up still believing what the magazines tell them? That is the real reason the society discourages college. People will be much easier to control if they keep their fears and misconceptions in tact. Once they learn that the world is not so simple and black and white, they may begin to question what they have been taught by the society.

• LDH
    LDH
    where he told me that his keeping me from college was a "misinterpretation."

I have been told the exact same thing. Amazing how they will blame everyone but the bOrg.

Not that you can't be successful without a degree. I'm currently the Regional Manager of a health plan carrier, so it was clearly not about the money.

What's amazing is that during the 80's hype of NO COLLEGE the end will be here tomorrow--those kids never went to college. However, if they had younger siblings, ALL of them did. And the very elders who counseled *me and my friends* from going to college--some of their younger children are attending college right now! These are the younger brothers and sisters of those who were prevented from attending college.

When I questioned my father, he said in effect, that those kids were smarter than us. HILARIOUS. I won all kinds of awards and my older sister was on the high honor roll damn near consecutively. If my memory serves me correct--she scored a 96 on the trigonometry final--after missing 96 of the 185 days of school for "religious reasons". You heard me. She was pioneering in her senior year and still threw down. The school board tried to get her in trouble. She only missed being valedictorian by a few points and all of her absences were for "religion." I'm telling you this to expose the extent that a die hard JW will go to in order to convince themselves that there was some other reason than the bOrg that we did not go to college.

When I was 16 and about to graduate from high school I was doing everything I could to prepare myself. I was not allowed to take the SAT! Imagine! And so on and so forth. I was told by my mother that if I spoke of or tried to go to college I would be thrown out of the house. I was a sheltered 16 year old kid--how is that right?

There was a family that my parents "brought in the truth." --kids are now in their late teens. Where do you think those kids are now? Yup.

So here is the real reason the pioneer ranks swelled in the late 80's--generation of children were told that Armageddon is coming real soon now.

My twentieth high school reunion is next year.

Don't make me name names--cause I will.

Lisa

You can't keep a good woman down Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit