Jan 1st WT: Reaching out, Higher Education and Providing for one's needs

by truthseeker 70 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Well, as a nice start to the new year, the Jan 1st Watchtower article, "How Firm Is Your Trust In God" blasts those who live comfortable lives, those who don't reach out, and those who pursue higher education.

Definitely, they are taking a harsher stand, having completely painted themselves into a corner.

I highlighted the interesting comments. I did not include all the text for each paragraph, just the main points.

1 A young man wanted to be more useful to the congregation. The problem was that his secular work interfered with his regular meeting attendance. How did he address the situation? He simplified his life, resigned from his job, and in time found employment that did not interfere with his Christian activities. Today, he still cares for his family's needs and is much better able to support the congregation.

2 Do you understand why that young man took such a step? Can you see yourself taking a similar step if you were in circumstances like this?.....

3 In view of the difficult times we are living in, some may wonder whether that young man made a wise decision. Today, one section of humanity lives in the deepest poverty while another enjoys the highest standard of living in history. Most in poor lands would seize any opportunity to make thier life a little easier. On the other hand, many in wealthier lands feel the pressure of maintaining their standard of living in the face of faltering economies, changing job markets and even more demanding employers. In view of the pressure involved in making a living, some may wonder, 'Is it still practical to seek the Kingdom first?'...

Seems like some are having trouble "reaching out".

7 Anyone who does not trust firmly in Jehovah might think differently. The majority of humans viw material wealth as a major key to security. Hence, parents have encourage their offspring to invest much of their young adulthood in highed education, hoping that it will prepare them for well paying careers. Sadly, some Christian families have found the cost of such an investment to be very high, as their children have lost their spiritual goals and turned to pursuing materialistic goals.

Is pursuing materialistic goals the only reason? Or is it critical thinking?

12 If a person becomes attached to his possessions as that wealthy young man did, they could become a barrier to his serving Jehovah wholeheartedly. That could be true of one who is already wealthy and on one who is determined to be rich. Trusting too much in material things can lead a person to be less conscious of his spiritual need. As a result, he might not feel the same need for Jehovah's support. He might come to expect special treatment in the congregation. And he could spend most of his time enjoying his wealth than serving Jehovah.

18 Dilligence in Jehovah's Service: Paul linked confidence in Jehovah's promises with industriousness when he wrote: "We desire each one of you to show the same industriousness so as to have the full assurance of the hope down to the end." If we are busy in Jehovah's service, he will support us...

• blondie
    blondie

As a looked around the congregations in this circuit, the overwhelming group of brothers who were not "reaching out" were ex-elders or ex-MS who had "stepped down" voluntarily and did not have a black mark outwardly or behind the scenes on their record. They were just tired of the infighting, the ingratitude of the elders, the lies and deceit of some elders, tired of having their loyalty to God the WTS challenged on a regular basis by abusive elders.

I counted around 3 to 5 in each congregation. Hmmmmmmm

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

I am amazed how quickly you get the magazines, truthseeker. The congregations here don't even have the 1/1/06 yet.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I would be wonderful if we could gather all of these articles on avoiding higher education, and quitting jobs to serve the WTS and take all of these to the Courts and have the R&F that have been harmed by that BS, sue the WTS for monetary support, since they are the ones telling people to do these things, it really burns me up, when I think of all the harm they are causing, I wish someone would follow the money trail, because I have come to believe that this Borg is run by those people, the ones that are getting those billions, and I would not doubt that the Zionists have something to do with that, not to start a conspiracy theory, but there are interesting things that have been said here to that effect.

If indeed the Zionist's are behind this, the lack of mentioning Jesus Christ in the publications all the while hiding behind the "we are true christians" crap, would all make sense.

IC

• NestleBoy
    NestleBoy

My problem with those articles is not the blasting those who pursue higher education (ir really is up to each individual). The thing I don't like is how they couple that with "reaching out." Some of us who are still witnesses don't want to reach out to do more in the congregation. The majority of the brothers are just happy (at best) with where they stand. I wouldn't like the extra responsibility of being a ministerial servant, pioneer, etc... Some borthers do miss alot of meetings, but as long as they keey putting in some field service time.

And I have seen a few elders and ministerial servants step down over the past few years in my congregation.

NestleBoy

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hi Blondie, interesting insights there. We have a few ex MS's and quite a few ex elders. None seem to be reaching out - they seem comfortable enough in their status.

I guess congs. get the mags at different times.

• undercover
    undercover
    My problem with those articles is not the blasting those who pursue higher education (ir really is up to each individual). The thing I don't like is how they couple that with "reaching out." Some of us who are still witnesses don't want to reach out to do more in the congregation. The majority of the brothers are just happy (at best) with where they stand. I wouldn't like the extra responsibility of being a ministerial servant, pioneer, etc...

Interesting point. On one hand, the WTS tries to convince the JWs that one doesn't need to "reach out" for better jobs, better pay, a higher standard of living. Be content with "just enough to get by" is what they want JWs to do. But then, on the other hand, they push, beg, guilt-trip them into "reaching out" to do more for "Jehovah" (read the WTS).

They have tried to channel the urges of going to college, getting good jobs with better pay, into working full-time for the WTS. It has, in effect, backfired on them. All the while, telling the JWs to be content with what you have materially, they have unwittingly trained them to be content...period. Fewer and fewer brothers are reaching out to serve as MSs or elders. Fewer and fewer of the youth are reaching out to pioneer or serve at Bethel.

Without Armageddon looming around the corner (and the only way to impress upon the sheep that it is, is to promote a date or generation), most JWs are settling back into normal domestic life. They may not be going for the big paying jobs, but their concern is about having decent housing, a savings account, and a retirement fund instead of warning others of the impending doom that is about to fall.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Nestleboy, excellent comment. I used to want to reach out, but since learning of WT lies I have lost that desire.

Being a ministerial servant means a lot more work

1. Opening the Service Meeting with song and announcements

2. Giving teaching parts

3. Taking out the group on Saturdays AND Sundays

4. Attending the extra meeting twice a year with the CO

5. Attending the extra meeting for the Kingdom Ministry School

6. Conducting the book study

7. Going on shepherding visits with elders

8. Giving public talks

9. Giving parts at the convention

No wonder many brothers, who perhaps have families choose to remain just "brothers."

The WT though, makes it seem obligatory that brothers HAVE to reach out, they put us under compulsion.

What, you don't want to be a ministerial servant? What's wrong with YOU?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Grrrrr:

If we are busy in Jehovah's service, he will support us...

I can point out a FEW destitute widows in our local congregation where Jehovah the WTS is supporting very poorly indeed. It's like the WTS is saying,

"Work hard for us and our invisible friend here will give you magic beans in your old age."

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I should mention the usual "Carrot on a stick" paragraph at the end of the article.

20 Patience: The disciple James urged fellow Christians: "Exercise patience, therefore, brothers, until the presence of the Lord." In this fast moving world, it is difficult to be patient. We want things to happen quickly. But Paul urges us to imitate those who "through faith and patience inherit the promises." Be willing to wait on Jehovah. Everlasting life on a paradise earth - surely that is worth waiting for!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit