Sexual Abuse Memories are implanted by Satan, so Forget & Endure Them

by Gerard 53 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Gerard
    Gerard

This article is ourageous! And it is on the first page of the WT's web site!

Comfort for Those With a "Stricken Spirit"

It states that many repressed sexual abuse memories are false, unfounded and a "product of Satan". And it asks JWs to not discuss them:

In the world, there is much controversy as to what these "memories" are and to what extent they represent things that actually happened. Jehovah's Witnesses are "no part of the world" and take no part in this controversy. Legitimate evidence to the contrary made it clear that these "remembered" details could not be true.

...because most likely these "memories" are product of Satan and must be ignored and be endured :

Can we doubt that the Devil now plays upon child abuse and the "downhearted spirit" of many adults who suffered this (or are troubled by "memories" of having suffered it) to try to weaken the faith of Christians? Like Jesus when under attack by Satan, a Christian who suffers pain but who stalwartly refuses to abandon his integrity is saying: "Go away, Satan!"—
    When dedicated souls endure in the face of great physical or emotional pain, what an evidence it is of their inner strength and love for God! And what a testimony to the power of Jehovah's spirit to sustain them!—

The WT goes on to blame the Devil as the ultimate enemy, not the abuser! And suggests to drop the matter:

If there is some valid reason to suspect that the alleged perpetrator is still abusing children, a warning may have to be given. The congregation elders can help in such a case. Otherwise, take your time. Eventually, you may be content to let the matter drop.
    ...The question of his guilt or innocence can be safely left in Jehovah's hands.

The Elder's duty is not to report it to the authorities but limit their involvement to:

"...encourage the afflicted one to focus for the time being on coping with the emotional distress.

If there is a confession, the matter must be dealt with internaly .

If the accusation is denied, the elders should explain to the accuser that nothing more can be done in a judicial way. And the congregation will continue to view the one accused as an innocent person. The Bible says that there must be two or three witnesses before judicial action can be taken.

Have they learned anything?

• luna2
    luna2

Apparently not. This sweep it under the rug and hope Jehovah deals with it counsel is hideous. How can they keep attacking the Catholic church, when they are doing the same thing?

Would the real Satan please stand up.

• sir82
    sir82

Ignoring the specious "Devil implanted the memories" argument...

Suppose you have this scenario:

A 29 year-old woman suddenly remembers abuse at the hands of her father 25 years ago. No one witneseed it, none of her siblings report any abuse, father denies it, of course there is no forensic evidence after 25 years.

Accuser is in therapy.

It is one person's word against another's. One of the 2 is either lying or has a faulty memory--could be either one. There is no evidence other than one person's memory of events that occurred when she was 4 years old.

What could/should elders do in such a situation?

• metatron
    metatron

There are two sides to this molestation issue - and as an elder, I was experienced in both.

In general, I concluded that:

Recovered memories - and the "therapy" that goes with them is worse than worthless. It wrecks families and health

while offering nothing in return other than needless pain.

and

Lots of Witness congregations have covered up real sexual abuse - that requires no "recovery" to recall. The Watchtower

Society has been dismissive and careless about countless of these incidents.

The problem here concerns two extremes - both of which hurt people and families.

metatron

• TopHat
    TopHat

When was this info on the front page of the www.watchtower.org?

• delilah
    delilah

Sir82, I was a 21 year old woman, who suddenly remembered everything...my abuser was my grandfather.....the elders did not do anything but tell me to get to all the meetings and go in the field service....they did not like the idea of me seeing a therapist or being on any medications to help me through. All I needed was Jehovah, according to them....not once, did they stop by to encourage me. My mom believed me though, I was afraid she wouldn't.

I worked through it on my own, and with the love of my "worldly" husband.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    When was this info on the front page of the www.watchtower.org?

It is in the front page right now. Comfort for Those With a "Stricken Spirit The issue is not when it was written but that they have it now on their front page and that they keep on promoting the 2-witness doctrine and discourage taking such matters to the police.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well we all knew they weren't going to change anything.

BUT the plus side of this is that when the deaf dumb and blind JWs show up at the door and say the elders say that everything is reported we have some pretty solid now that not one single thing has changed

the perps are still in the halls and going door to door and the victims get no help

• steve2
    steve2

Hello Gerard,

I follow your link which takes me to the official Watchtower site but nowhere on the first page is there an article on child abuse. Could you help us locate it because I agree it's worth reading.

On a related issue, the controversy over "recovered memories" focuses primarily on therapists who help clients recover memories. The research in this area suggests that therapist-assisted recovered memories may be unreliable.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

absolutely fuc---g disgusting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit