Comments You Will Not Hear at the 11-13-05 WT Study (Education)

by blondie 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 11-13-05 WT Study (October 1, 2005)

Review comments will be in red

WT material from today’s WT will be in black

Quotes from other sources will be blue

PARENTS—WHAT FUTURE DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR CHILDREN?

"You young men and also you virgins…Let them praise the name of Jehovah."—PSALM 148:12,13 (NWT)

www.biblegateway.com /cgi-bin/bible

Opening Comments

As you read through this article (if you can), ask yourself, "Don’t the ‘reasons’ for not going to ‘higher education’ apply to working secularly? Does that mean that the WTS is encouraging people not to work but to find a way to support themselves without working?

I can remember when single mothers were supported by the government until their children started school under the reasoning that it was better than paying a stranger to raise their child while they were at work. Some sisters never tried to get a job, taking advantage of the government’s money to pioneer. I can remember some pioneers who volunteered to work part-time and technically qualified for government aid, were the first ones in line to collect their welfare perks, some times depriving a truly needy person who couldn’t find work.

Or perhaps, they expect the parents to support their children as the pioneer? What happens though when the parents can no longer afford to do so?

w97 8/15 p. 20 "Soundness of Mind" as the End Draws Close ***

In the world it is common for parents to lay up money for their children’s future education and marriage so as to give them a good start in life. Have you given thought to laying up for your child’s spiritual future? Suppose, for example, that a grown child is pursuing the full-time ministry. While full-time servants should neither demand nor expect outside support, loving parents might choose to ‘share with him according to his needs’ in order to help him remain in full-time service.—Romans 12:13; 1 Samuel 2:18, 19; Philippians 4:14-18.

START OF ARTICLE

(Paragraph 1) What concerns do parents have for their children?

What parents are not anxiously concerned about the future of their children? From the moment an infant is born—or even before—the parents start worrying about his welfare. Will he be healthy? Will he develop normally? As the child grows older, there are additional concerns. By and large, parents want only what is best for their offspring.—1 Samuel 1:11,27,28; Psalm 127-3-5.

Infant…his welfare…he be healthy…he develop

Have you noticed how gender biased the WTS still is in their pronouns? Is the hidden message that only male children matter, have any real "spiritual" future in the congregation? Who is encouraged to go to Bethel, to ‘reach out’ for additional privileges, to be MS or elders, to go into the circuit/district work? Sisters/women?

The WTS can use pronouns in a less gender biased way it if it so chooses.

w04

2/15 p. 14 Maintain Chastity by Safeguarding Your Heart ***

He or she

may develop expectations about courtship and even an eventual marriage

w04

4/15 p. 20 Pursuing Kindness in a Hostile World ***

A young Christian has to beware that he or she does not imitate those individuals

w04

8/1 p. 29 What Gives Life True Meaning? ***

Is that all there is, then, to life—each one of us doing what he or she wants?

(Paragraph 2) Why do many parents today feel strongly about having their children enjoy a good life when they grow up?

In today’s world, however, it is a challenge for parents to provide what is best for their children. Many parents have gone through hard times—wars, political upheavals, economic hardships, physical or emotional traumas, and so on. Naturally, it is their heartfelt desire that their children not go through the same things. In affluent lands, parents may see the sons and daughters of their friends and relatives move ahead in professional careers and enjoy seemingly successful lives. Thus, they feel compelled to do everything they can to ensure that their children too will be able to enjoy a reasonably comfortable and secure life—a good life—when they grow up.—Ecclesiastes 3:13.

Demonization of professional careers

w96

10/1 p. 27 Serving Jehovah as a United Family ***

We were overjoyed when Gerson, soon after completing a course in data processing, said he wanted to serve at Bethel, thus choosing the full-time ministry instead of a professional career.

w84

11/1 p. 29 Build and Apply Your Faith With the Judges ***

Perhaps as a young person in school you face intense pressure to experiment with drugs or sex, or to seek a career as a well-paid professional.

g75

5/8 p. 3 Life with a Satisfying Purpose ***

People need to feel that they have a real purpose in life, for that results in satisfaction. Likely, the desire for a purposeful, satisfying life moves many to select careers involving service to their fellowman. Yet, even seemingly successful persons often find life unsatisfying. In fact, some apparently have viewed it as an intolerable burden. For instance, consider a very prosperous American manufacturer whose estimated philanthropies exceeded $100,000,000. Surely, one might conclude that this man would have a sense of accomplishment that would make him satisfied with life. However, he committed suicide after leaving a statement saying he was ill and tired of life. Another example is that of a British actor who died by his own hand. Why did he take his life? "Because I am bored," he said.

Yet

g89

1/8 p. 24 Recordings That Bring Praise to Jehovah ***

Harold, a pianist, has had many fine privileges of responsibility as a minister of Jehovah’s Witnesses. He has always kept his professional music career secondary to his ministry. He says: "Recording music for Jehovah’s Witnesses is one of the most enjoyable privileges I have had in Jehovah’s organization."

Comfortable (normal) lives?

w04

9/15 p. 12 "Go On Acquiring Power in the Lord" ***

In a similar way, the anxieties of this system and the quest for riches and a comfortable life-style can gradually absorb more and more of our time and energy.

With our attention diverted to the things of the world, we might easily neglect personal Bible study and make it a custom to miss Christian meetings, thus being cut off from spiritual nourishment. Materialistic goals now replace spiritual pursuits, and we finally become easy prey for Satan.

w01

11/1 p. 27 "The Blessing of Jehovah—That Is What Makes Rich"

Abraham left a comfortable life

in Ur and later in Haran because he had faith in Jehovah’s promise that his seed would become many and be a blessing for all nations.

Choosing a Good Life

(Paragraph 3) What choice have Christians made?

As followers of Jesus Christ, Christians have chosen to dedicate their life to Jehovah. They have taken to heart Jesus’ words: "If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake day after day and follow me continually." (Luke 9:23; 14:27) Yes, a Christian’s life does involve self-sacrifice. Yet, it is not a life of deprivation and misery. On the contrary, it is a happy and satisfying life—a good life—because it involves giving, and as Jesus said, "there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving."—Acts 20:35.

Christians

only JWs, other people are just "so-called" or "professed" Christians

w04

11/15 p. 22 Search for Jehovah, the Examiner of Hearts ***

Although some professed Christians accept the truth of God’s Word, Christendom’s worship itself is not motivated by genuine love for God.

w97

12/15 p. 5 The Roots of Modern Christmas ***

The willingness of the so-called Christians to adopt pagan celebrations now brought a measure of acceptance within the community

w01

6/1 p. 16 "If God Is for Us, Who Will Be Against Us?" ***

Is it presumptuous of Jehovah’s Witnesses to point out that they alone have God’s backing?

Actually, no more so than when the Israelites in Egypt claimed to have God’s backing in spite of the Egyptians’ belief, or when first-century Christians claimed to have God’s backing to the exclusion of Jewish religionists.

w95

9/1 p. 18 Christian Witnesses for Divine Sovereignty ***

Since only genuine Christians share in the preaching of the good news, this important work helps to distinguish the true Christians from the false.

I guess the preaching of other religions such as the Mormons, Baptists, or evangelical religions, doesn’t count.

Self-sacrifice…not a life of…misery

w87

8/15 p. 13 Youths What Will You Do With Your Life? ***

Living a true Christian life involves self-sacrifice, yes, even suffering. It is not an easy course, but it is the one to which we were called as Christians. Accepting it involves ‘no longer living for ourselves, but for him who died for us.’ (2 Corinthians 5:15) Keeping in view good role models will help us to

use our lives in this self-sacrificing way.

Happy and satisfying life

w03

3/15 p. 25 The Early Christians and the Mosaic Law ***

When Jehovah provides direction by means of his Word, his spirit, and his earthly organization, let us listen carefully. If we do so, Jehovah will bless us with endless life that is both happy and satisfying.

w00

11/1 p. 20 How Do You Measure Success? ***

Amy, for instance, holds a university degree in commerce and another in law

. She once had a lucrative job with a law firm, but today she serves as an unpaid volunteer minister in one of the Watch Tower Society’s branch offices. Here is how Amy describes her life now: "I believe that I have made the best possible choice in life. . . . I have no desire to change places with any of my university peers. I am proud of my chosen course. I have everything I need and want—a contented, happy life and a career that is fulfilling and satisfying."

(Paragraph 4) What did Jesus urge his followers to pursue?

People in Jesus’ day were living under very difficult circumstances. In addition to making a living, they had to bear the harsh rule of the Romans and the oppressive burden of the formalistic religionists of the day. (Matthew 23:2-4) Still, many who heard about Jesus gladly set aside personal pursuits—even careers—and became his followers. (Matthew 4:18-22; 9:9; Colossians 4:14) Were those disciples taking a risk and endangering their future? Note Jesus’ words: "Everyone that has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive many times more and will inherit everlasting life." (Matthew 19:29) Jesus assured his followers that the heavenly Father knew their needs. He therefore urged them: "Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you."—Matthew 6:31-33.

Did these people "gladly set aside…careers"?

w04

2/1 p. 6 How You Can Satisfy Your Spiritual Needs ***

Marina,

a medical doctor, says: "I never really thought about my spirituality until I started working in a hospital and began to feel deeply the suffering of others. I then realized that I had to acknowledge and satisfy my spiritual need if I was to gain contentment and tranquillity, since the pace of life and the demand of caring for people’s concerns can become overwhelming for someone in my profession.

"I now study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses. This study helps me examine my actions and motives in a constructive way and trains my thought processes to be more positive, so that I can keep my life in perspective. I do find great satisfaction in my secular career. But it is my Bible study that has improved my emotional health, helping me to control negative feelings, reduce tension, and be more patient and compassionate with people. Applying Bible principles has also benefited my marriage. Most important, I have come to know Jehovah and to experience, in a small measure, the free flow of his spirit, which has given my life greater meaning."

Nicholas, an architectural designer, says: "Before studying the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses, I had no spiritual interests. My sole aim in life was to succeed in my chosen profession. My Bible study has taught me that there is more to life and that doing Jehovah’s will brings true and lasting happiness.

"My secular career does bring me a sense of satisfaction, but it is the Bible that has taught me the importance of keeping life simple by focusing on spiritual things. By doing so, my wife and I have avoided much of the stress that comes from a materialistic life-style. We have also made many real friends through our association with those who have a similar spiritual outlook on life."

CARROT—Everlasting life

Does Matthew 19:29 mean that every Christian should be a "full-time" preacher? Were all the early Christians full-time preachers in the WTS sense?

(Paragraph 5) How do some parents feel about Jesus’ assurance that God will care for his servants?

Things are not very different today, Jehovah knows our needs, and those who put Kingdom interests first in their life, especially those pursuing the full-time ministry, have the same assurance that he will care for them. (Malachi 3:6,16; 1 Peter 5:7) Some parents, however, are ambivalent in this regard. On the one hand, they would like to see their children make advancement in Jehovah’s service, perhaps in time entering the full-time ministry. On the other hand, considering the economic and employment situation in the world today, they feel that it is important for young ones to get a good education first so that they will have the necessary qualifications for a desirable job or at least have something to fall back on if needed. To such parents a good education often means a higher education.

Especially those pursuing the full-time ministry…he will care for them

Does God care more for "full-time" ministers than "part-time" ministers?

Desirable job

What is a desirable job—one that pays for the basics? Or is the WTS saying that some JWs are job snobs?

Something to fall back on if needed

Such as the advice above from the WTS that parents support their children in the "full-time" work; what happens when their child wants to move out and/or get married. Will they still need daddy and mommy’s help? At the age of 30?

Preparing For the Future

(Paragraph 6) In what way is the term "higher education" used in this article?

The educational system varies from country to country. In the United States, for example, public schools offer 12 years of basic education. Thereafter, students may choose to attend university or college for four or more years, leading to a bachelor’s degree or to postgraduate studies for careers in medicine, law, engineering, and so forth. Such university education is what is meant when the term "higher education" is used in this article. On the other hand, there are technical and vocational schools, offering short-term courses that result in a certificate or diploma in some trade or service.

Basic education—12 years is all that the WTS allows plus one or 2 years in technical/vocational schools.

Medicine, law, engineering— but that doesn’t stop the WTS from sending Bethelites to law school.

University/college = bad

Technical/vocational = good

Of course, the association and "environment" is the same.

(Paragraph 7) What pressures are students exposed to in high school.

The trend today is for secondary schools or high schools to groom their students for higher education. To this end, most high schools focus on academic subjects that enable the students to score well in university entrance examinations rather than on courses that will equip the students for the workplace. High school students today are under tremendous pressure from teachers, counselors, and fellow students to aim for enrollment in the best universities, where they will hopefully earn the degrees that can open for them doors to promising and well-paying jobs.

Equip students for the workplace— but does that mean that JWs should reach out to repair computers, autos, cut hair, work at Walmart. Is a well-paying job based on a high school education a goal for a JW? Can the average young JW fresh out of high school afford to live on their own, let alone support a family?

Well-paying jobs— is there something wrong with getting a well-paying job? I have looked around congregations and seen real estate agents, firefighters, carpenters, accountants, engineers, EMTs, etc., all who pursued education as an older adult, missing meetings and FS and not a word, not a word, all of them elders. No one expects them to be regular pioneers for a career.

(Paragraph 8) What choices are Christian parents confronted with?

What, then, are Christian parents to do? Of course, they want their children to do well in school and learn the necessary skills for maintaining themselves in the days ahead. (Proverbs 22:29) But should they simply let their children be swept along by the spirit of competition for material advancement and success? What sort of goals do they put before their children, either by word or by personal example? Some parents work very hard and save so to be able to send their children to institutions of higher learning when the time comes. Others are willing to go into debt for this purpose. The cost of such a decision, however, cannot be measured merely in dollars and cents. What is the cost of pursuing higher education today?—Luke 14:28-33.

Necessary skills for maintaining themselves— does that mean not buying a home, a car, new clothes, living with parents, having mumsy and popsy buy them a car, not having to pay rent so that the little money they do earn part-time can be spent on fun things?

Spirit of competition— of course such a spirit doesn’t exist at the KH! As the elders and their wives suck up to the new CO handing him cash under the table hoping that the husband will be picked to give talks at the conventions/assemblies.

Save for higher education/go into debt— why not save and give to the WTS and go into debt for the WTS?

Is the WTS suggesting that going into debt is a bad thing; how else can the average person buy a home or a car? Should JWs not buy those things?

The Cost of Pursuing Higher Education

(Paragraph 9) What can be said about the financial cost of higher education today?

When we think of cost, we usually think of financial expenditures. In some countries, higher education is government sponsored and qualified students do not have to pay fees or tuition. In most places, however, higher education is expensive and is getting more so. A New York Times Op-Ed article (see URL below) observes: "Higher education used to be regarded as an engine of opportunity. Now it’s certifying the gap between the naves and have-lesses." In other words, quality higher education is fast becoming the domain of the rich and influential, who put their children through it to ensure that they too become the rich and influential of this system. Should Christian parents choose such a goal for their children?—Philippians 3:7,8; James 4:4.

But is the author advocating not going to college?

What's to be done?
    An infusion of need-based aid is critical for public universities. The market would be fairer if rivals committed themselves to recruiting at working-class and inner-city schools; to democratizing access to good college advising; and to making need, not market savvy, the basis for financial aid.

http://home.att.net/~profmulder/Rich_Get_Smarter.htm

(Paragraph 10) How is higher education closely linked to advancing the present system?

Even where higher education is free, there may be strings attached. For example, The Wall Street Journal reports that in one Southeast Asian country, the government runs a "pyramid-style school structure than unabashedly pushes the cream to the top." The "top" ultimately means placement in the world’s elite institutions—Oxford and Cambridge in England, the Ivy League schools in the United States, and others. Why does the government provide such a far-reaching program? "To fuel the national economy," says the report. The education may be practically free, but the price that the students pay is life engrossed in advancing the present system. Though such a way of life is highly sought-after in the world, is it what Christian parents want for their children."—John 15:19; 1 John 2:15-17.

Pushes the cream to the top-- Doesn’t the WTS push the cream to the top, to Bethel and in appointed positions such as MS, elders, COs, DOs?

Engrossed in advancing the present system— isn’t any secular work that a JW does "advancing the present system"?

http://www.ttlearning.com/en/resources/archives/000173.shtml

(Paragraph 11) What do reports show regarding alcohol abuse, and sexual immorality among university students?

Then there is the environment. University and college campuses are notorious for bad behavior—drug and alcohol abuse, immorality, cheating, hazing, and the list goes on. Consider alcohol abuse. Reporting on binge drinking, that is, drinking for the sole purpose of getting drunk, New Scientist magazine (see URL below for whole article) says: "About 44 per cent of [university students in the United States] binge at least once in a typical two-week period." The same problem is common among young people in Australia, Britain, Russia, and elsewhere. When it comes to sexual immorality, the talk among students today is about "hooking up," which according to a Newsweek report "describes one-time sexual encounters—anything from kissing to intercourse—between acquaintances who’ve no plans to even talk afterward." Studies who that from 60 to 80 percent of students engage in this kind of activity. "If you’re a normal college student," says one researcher, "you do it."—1 Corinthians 5:11; 6:9,10.

New Scientist

http://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0408&L=kbs-list&T=0&F=&S=&P=9097

In this article talking about binge drinking among students or binge-drinking in general?

Newsweek

http://episcopalsingles.org/displayarticle254.html

I can tell you some stories about young JWs who were discovered to be doing the same thing—hooking up. And they had never been near a university.

Binge drinking and "hooking up" are not behaviors that end in college. Any job I have ever had had people who "behaved" the same way. Should JWs avoid secular employment because non-JWs behave this way?

(Paragraph 12) What pressures are college students exposed to?

In addition to the bad environment, there is the pressure of schoolwork and examinations. Naturally, students need to study and do their homework to pass the exams, Some may also need to hold at least a part-time job while going to school. All of this takes a great deal of their time and energy. What, then, will be left for spiritual activities? When pressures mount, what will be let go? Will Kingdom interests still come first, or will they be put aside? (Matthew 6:33) The Bible urges Christians, "Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune time or yourselves, because the days are wicked." (Ephesians 5:15,16) How sad that some have fallen away from the faith as a result of succumbing to the demands on their time and energy of getting entangled in unscriptural conduct at colleges.

Pressure of schoolwork and examinations— the WTS has even recommended that schoolwork at the lower levels not be done when it conflicts with meeting times.

km 2/04 p. 1 Regular Meeting Attendance—A Priority ***

Schoolwork can also pose a challenge. "I do some of my schoolwork before the meetings and the rest after I come home," said one youth. If all assigned homework cannot be completed on meeting nights, some parents have explained to teachers that attendance at Christian meetings is a priority for their family.

Some have fallen away from the faith…succumbing to the demands on their time and energy…unscriptural conduct at colleges

Of course, secular jobs will not be demanding and people at your secular job don’t have "unscriptural conduct" according to the WTS.

(Paragraph 13) What questions must Christian parents consider?

Of course, immorality, bad behavior and pressures are by no means limited to the college or university campus. However many worldly youths view all such things merely as part of the education, and they think nothing of it. Should Christian parents knowingly expose their children to that kind of environment for four or perhaps more years? (Proverbs 22:3; 2 Timothy 2:22) Is the risk involved worth whatever benefit the young ones may receive? And most important, what are the young ones learning about things that should come first in their life?* (*For accounts of those who valued theocratic education more than university education, see The Watchtower, May 1, 1982, pages 3-6; April 15, 1979, pages 5-10; Awake! June 8, 1978; page 15; and August 8, 1974, pages 3-7) (Philippians 1:10; 1 Thessalonians 5:21) Parents must give serious and prayer consideration to these questions, as well as to the danger of sending their children away to school in another city or another country.

Disclaimer: Of course, immorality, bad behavior and pressures are by no means limited to the college or university campus. However

That’s right, the vast majority of JWs that are disfellowshipped for drunkenness and immorality are college students, not.

1974, 1978, 1979, 1982— I guess the WTS couldn’t find any newer examples of JWs that "valued theocratic education more than university education."

What Are the Alternatives?

(Paragraphs 14,15) (a) In spite of popular opinion, what Bible counsel applies today? (b) What questions can young ones ask themselves?

14 Today, the popular opinion is that for young people to succeed, the only option is to get a university education. However, instead of following what is popular, Christians heed the Bible’s admonition: "Quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Romans 12:2) What is God’s will for his people, young and old, in this final stage of time of the end? Paul urged Timothy: "Keep your senses in all things, suffer evil, do the work of an evangelizer, fully accomplish your ministry." Those words are surely applicable to all of us today.—2 Timothy 4:5.

Popular opinion…instead of following what is popular…quit being fashioned after this system of things

Well, if the WTS and JWs really followed that consistently, they would be more like the Amish or the Mennonites.

Prove to yourselves— or can it only be proven through the WTS?

(1 John 4:1) 4
    Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

(Galatians 1:7-8) 7
    But it is not another; only there are certain ones who are causing YOU trouble and wanting to pervert the good news about the Christ. 8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed.

w94 10/1 p. 8 The Bible—A Book Meant to Be Understood ***

All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave.—John 6:68.

Final stage of time of the end— so how many stages does the end have, 1914, 1915, 1925, 1940’s, 1975?

Yet 21 years ago, the WTS said:

w84 4/1 p. 17 Heed God’s Prophetic Word for Our Day ***

Nevertheless, they do heed God’s prophetic word, and this has enabled them to see how Daniel’s prophecy now moves into its final stage of fulfillment.

According to the WTS, we are in the "toes" of the image (toenails?).

15 Rather than be caught up by the materialistic spirit of the world, all of us need to ‘keep our senses’—our spiritual bearings. If you are a young person, ask yourself: ‘Am I putting forth my best effort to "accomplish my ministry," to make myself a qualified minister of God’s Word? What are my plans for pursuing my ministry "fully"? Have I considered taking up full-time service as a career? These are challenging questions, especially when you see other youths, indulging in selfish pursuits, "seeking great things" that they think will lead to a bright future. (Jeremiah 45:5) Christian parents, therefore, wisely provide their children from infancy with the right kind of spiritual environment and training.—Proverbs 22:6; Ecclesiastes 12:1,2; 2 Timothy 3:14,15.

Materialistic spirit of the world— of course, the KHs and assembly halls built today that are worth $300,000 or more are not materialistic. Congregations that remodel halls in the US when JWs in African and SA countries are sitting on logs in structures with no walls and a flimsy roof, are not materialistic.

Best effort— as judged by the elders using your monthly time slip; national average is 10 hours, less than that…

Qualified minister of God’s Word— despite the fact that few scriptures are read, let alone discussed at the meetings and the fact that less than ¼ of JW families actually have a home family study.

How many JWs are in the full-time service? What is holding them back? Why are those reasons not acceptable for young JWs? Are those older JWs "indulging in selfish pursuits" and "seeking great things"?

(Paragraph 16) How can Christian parents wisely provide the right kind of spiritual environment for their children?

"Mother watched our association very closely," recalls the eldest of three boys in one family in which the mother has been a full-time minister over the years. "We did not associate with our schoolmates but only with those in the congregation who had good spiritual habits. She also regular invited those in full-time service—missionaries, traveling overseers, Bethelites, and pioneers—to our home for association. Listening to their experiences and seeing their joy helped to implant in our hearts the desire for full-time service." What a joy to see today all three sons in the full-time ministry—one serving at Bethel, one having attended the Ministerial Training School, and one pioneering!

Bad association = anyone not in full-time service

Missionaries, traveling overseers, Bethelites, and pioneers— elders not mentioned, aren’t they good association.

Aren’t all Christians, full-time Christians serving God? 45 years ago the WTS understood that, or at least tried to talk around it.

w60 1/1 pp. 12-13 Do You Let Your Light Shine? ***

An individual who has dedicated himself to Jehovah’s service and has been baptized in water cannot say that he is a part-time Christian. He must be a full-time Christian. He may not be able to spend all his awake hours preaching from house to house and conducting Bible studies as do pioneers and missionaries. But that makes no difference as to being a Christian.
    God’s commandments are the same for all Christians. Many Christians among Jehovah’s witnesses are referred to as pioneers and missionaries, full-time preachers. These individuals have been able to arrange their affairs so that they can spend all their time in teaching and ministering to other persons by going from house to house and conducting Bible studies in the homes of believers. It is easily seen that not all persons who have dedicated their lives to Jehovah God and have been baptized can devote all their time to the preaching work, but certainly they must devote all their time to the Christian life. They must prove that they are ordained ministers before God just as surely as one who evangelizes all his wakeful hours. All Christians must be full-time light bearers just as Jesus was, because they are walking in his footsteps.

(Paragraph 17) What guidance can parents provide young ones in their choice of school subjects and vocation goals (see box on page 29—see below)

Besides providing a strong spiritual environment, parents must also offer their children, as early as possible, proper guidance in their choice of school subjects and vocation goals. Another young man, now in Bethel service, says: "Both of my parents pioneered before and after they got married and did their best to pass on the pioneer spirit to the whole family to the whole family. Whenever we were choosing subjects at school or making decisions that would affect our future, they always encouraged us to make a choice that would give us the best opportunity to find part-time work and pioneer." Rather than choose academic subjects that are geared toward a university education, parents and children need to consider courses that are useful in pursuing a theocratic career.* (*See Awake! October 8, 1998, "In Search of a Secure Life," pages 4-6, and May 8, 1989, "What Career Should I Choose." Pages 12-14)

Proper guidance— doing what mom and dad say or you’re moving out at 18.

Both of my parents pioneered before and after they got married— I know of many people who stopped pioneering after marriage, the vast majority. Occasionally, if the husband had a power job, the wife could stay home and pioneer. But when children came along, they both went off the list .

Additional Section (page 29): What is the Value of Higher Education?

Most people who enroll in a university look forward to earning a degree that will open doors for them to well-paying and secure jobs. Government reports show, however, that only about one quarter of those who go to college earn a degree within six years—a dismal success rate. Even so, does that degree translate into a good job? Note what current research and studies have to say.

"Going to Harvard or Duke [universities] won’t automatically produce a better job and higher pay…Companies don’t know much about young employment candidates. A shiny credential (an Ivy League degree) may impress. But after that, what people can or can’t do counts for more."—Newsweek, November 1, 1999.

http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~mcguire/worth_college_leagues.html

Are the saying don’t go to college or that Ivy League schools are worth the money you pay for them and that less expensive colleges can give you a good education?

It's no guarantee of success. Podunk's competent grads will beat Princeton's incompetents.

"While today’s typical job requires higher skills than in the past…, the skills required for these jobs are strong high school-level skills—math, reading, and writing at a ninth-grade level…,not college-level skills…Students do not need to go to college to get a good job, but they do need to master high school-level skills.—American Educator, Spring 2004.

http://www.aft.org/pubs-reports/american_educator/spring2004/collegedegree.html

Unfortunately, over 40 percent of high-school seniors lack ninth-grade math skills and 60 percent lack ninth-grade reading skills (Murnane and Levy, 1996)

But, employers argue that they cannot trust that the high school diploma certifies knowledge of these high school-level skills. As a result, employers report using college degrees to signal that applicants possess high school skills. If, instead, the high schools provided trusted signals of high school competencies, the pressure to send all students to college could diminish.

"Most colleges are seriously out of step with the real world in getting students ready to become works in the postcollege world. Vocational schools…are seeing a mini-boom. Their enrollment grew 48% from 1996 to 2000…Meanwhile, those expensive, time-sucking college diplomas have become worth less than ever."—Time, January 24, 2005.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:7_7uMbdlb08J:timecanada.com/printstory.adp%3Fstoryid%3D1+%22Their+enrollment+grew+48%25+from+1996+to+2000%22&hl=en

"Projections from the U.S. Department of Labor through 2005 paint the chilling scenario that at least one-third of all four-college graduates will not find employment that matches their degrees."—The Futurist, July/August 2000.

http://www.bestwebtraining.com/help_wanted.htm

In view of all this, more and more educators are seriously doubting the value of higher education today. "We are educating people for the wrong futures," laments the Futurist report. In contrast, note what the Bible says about God: "I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causing you to treat in the way in which you should walk. O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.""-Isaiah 48:17,18.

But is God educating JWs or the FDS?

Or does God = FDS?

(Paragraph 18) What job opportunities might young ones consider?

Studies show that in many countries, there is an acute need, not for university graduates, but for people to work in the trades and services. USA Today reports that "70% of the workers in the coming decades will not need a four-year college degree, but, rather, an associate degree from a community college or some type of technical certificate." Many such institutions offer short courses in office skills, auto repair, computer repair, plumbing, hairdressing, and a host of other trades. Are these desirable jobs? Certainly! Perhaps they are not as glamorous as some might envision, but they do offer the means and the flexibility needed by those whose true vocation is service to Jehovah.—2 Thessalonians 3:8.

How many people can afford an apartment on their own, a car and the expenses, food, health expenses, etc. In this area many people cannot afford these expenses without 2 jobs or living with other people. What happens when the young JW meets the person they want to marry, can they support. Is this focused on young JWs living at home and pioneering but not their future after that?

True vocation— full-time pioneering or full-time Christian ?

Plumbing— BTW the average plumbing apprenticeship takes 4 years.

(Paragraph 19) What is the surest way to a life of joy and contentment?

"You young men and also you virgins," entreats the Bible, "let them praise the name of Jehovah, for his name alone is unreachably high. His dignity is above earth and heaven." (Psalm 148:12,13) Compared with the positions and rewards that the world offers, a career in full-time service to Jehovah is without doubt the surest way to a life of contentment. Take to heart the Bible’s assurance: "The blessing of Jehovah—that is what makes rich, and he adds no pain with it."—Proverbs 10:22.

You virgins— does that mean only women?

Aren’t all JWs supposed to be full-time servants of God?

Concluding Comments

Yes, the young JWs are dropping like flies by the wayside and their parents are doing it knowingly. As was commented on this DB elsewhere, the parents of today were some of the ones whose JW parents followed the WTS advice about college and now they are struggling to support their families.

Are today’s JWs obedient to the slave? Considering the last district convention’s theme and content, Godly Obedience, I think not. And I think the rank and file and not obediently giving money to the WTS.

I won’t say that they only way you can succeed is to go to the university, but education is important and it doesn’t stop when you graduate from school, whether that be high school or the university. Not all education needs to lead to a job or a career, just for the joy of learning itself. I went back to college as an older JW. I found that I enjoyed the learning process actually more than the goal.

Love, Blondie (cleaning the basement/garage this weekend)

Can You Explain?
    • In what do Christians put their trust for a secure future?
    • What challenges do Christian parents face regarding their children’s future?
    • What must be considered when counting the cost of pursuing higher education?
    • How can parents help their children to pursue a career in Jehovah’s service?
  • Soledad
    Soledad
    High school students today are under tremendous pressure from teachers, counselors, and fellow students to aim for enrollment in the best universities, where they will hopefully earn the degrees that can open for them doors to promising and well-paying jobs.

Oh yes damn those teachers for pushing their students to do well!

While I was in high school almost all of my teachers commented on how they saw "real potential" in me. I could have started succeeding earlier, or at least given more credibility to what my teachers and couselours were saying. But then the big A was just "right around the corner" right? An elder and then my mother both proclaimed, in 1992, that they were "so certain" that the end would be here in "less than 10 years, I guarantee it!" I compromised and went to a 2 year business school just to make all around me happy. Later on I did eventually go to a 4 year school and graduated, top honors. But I received no kind of support from anyone, financial or otherwise. Thanks Blondie great review!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I encourage everybody to round up this magazine from laundromats and other dumping grounds and send it to your non-JW friends and family, to local college student unions, and to high school counsellors. Let them see how the Watchtower society is encouraging children to downgrade their talents and futures.

"Toenails of the image" LOL, Blondie, priceless. I have this picture of a statue up on his tippie toes...allllmost there.....

This article is almost too easy to rip apart. And I want to. Badly. Is it not an important principle to help our children reach their full potential and develop all the talents God has given them? To do less is a sin against God's creation. It is inconcievable that God created six billion people to be magazine salespeople. Careers specifically targetted as being unneccessary include medicine, law, and engineering (para 6). Specific careers are also mentioned as WT-approved; trades and services, office skills, auto repair, plumbing, hairdressing (para 18). Were early Christians condemned for having satisfying secular careers, or being wealthy? Who paid for Jesus' tomb? Even Paul made tents.

What a waste of human talent if all JW parents heeded this terrible advice. In my opinion, the only "proper guidance" for a young person is to encourage them to reach their full potential. To try and fit them in to a mold of my making is to kill the God-given soul inside. What is wrong with serving God in whatever profession you were made to excel in? Bikers for Jesus. Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Doctors Without Borders.

I am so very impressed with the JW youth who pursue their talents in spite of the derision or outright opposition of their congregation and family. These kids are a powerfully strong-minded bunch.

The parable of the Talents http://www.xenos.org/teachings/nt/matthew/dennis/mat25-2.htm

I also marked all the adjectives designed to instill a bias in the reader against higher education. The message is that people who pursue higher education are doing it for financial gain, are selfish, and are not spiritual.

Here are the carefully chosen adjectives, against parents or children who desire higher education:

"seemingly successful lives...compelled...ambivalent...tremendous pressure...well-paying...swept along...spirit of competition...material advancement...dollars and cents...domain of the rich and influential....should Christian parents...life engrossed in advancing the present system....highly sought-after in the world...is this what Christian parents want...environment...bad environment...pressure...time and energy....pressures...succumbing to the demands...entangled in unscriptural conduct....worldly youths...should Christian parents...knowingly expose....risk involved...danger...following what is popular....quit being fashioned after this system of things....final stage of the time of the end...materialistic spirit...indulging in selfish pursuits....seeking great things...think will lead to a bright future...glamorous...positions and rewards that the world offers."

For parents or children whose highest ambition is Bethel, lowest, magazine sales:

"set aside personal pursuits...do the work of an evangelist...best effort....pursue my ministry "fully"?....full-time service...proper guidance...part-time work...surest way to joy and contentment.."

• Ozner
    Ozner

As an - active thinking and not so active preaching - JW, I have to reject this article of the watchtower strongly.

I posted earlyer that you have to beware wearing glasses / spectacles in the kingdomhall, because it shows you can read. Didn't we learn from the 70's?

Sorry, I have much shame about this watchtower-article and it shows that the writers are still fundamental and not going in the direction of any reform of WTS doctrine.

Ozner

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Wow! This article reminds me of what the JWs were like back in the mid-eighties when I was a young JW and discouraged from going to college.

I wonder how successful they will be with this since the cat is now out of the bag so to speak.

Jeff S.

www.catholicxjw.com

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

It's sad that some Witnesses will decide to forgo college and end up in very trying circusmstances later in life. That's one of the reasons I'm at where I'm at. I did well working for 15 years after high school but now that I'm disabled and can't do the hard work I used to, I have nothing to fall back on (no 'higher education').

In the last congo I attended, a fellow who went to college and had a well-paying job had to work Saturday nights and didn't get home until 8am Sunday morning. So he was 'too tired' to make Sunday meetings. I heard grumbling from some brothers who weren't as well-to-do that he didn't have to have such a high paying job while they passed up opportunities and made ALL the meetings. Yet none of this prevented him from qualifying as a ministerial servant. When he got a promotion at work and didn't have to work Saturday nights any longer he was instantly promoted to elder and even conducted the WT study, though he hadn't actually been to one in years.

JWism just gets messier and messier and thank Yahweh I'm no part of it.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Thank you ... Blondie

Pushes the cream to the top

I love your comments on that, the wt sets the example, .. how true...they also push the cream to the top.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

My high-school senior daughter, who is applying to colleges at the moment, is already freaking out about this study article. I soooo want to keep my husband from going to the meeting tomorrow...

Great review, Blondie - yet again! GGG

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Thanks Blondie- I love to read these! It makes sitting through it at meeting slightly tolerable when I can pick the article apart with your help!

This is a VERY soar subject for me, so I'll be interested to see how many other people have trouble swallowing this one down! "New light" on education!......AGAIN!!

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

Blondie,

As usual, thanks for a well done job.

This article and its pompous selfservice has me purple with rage! If I wrote all of what I felt, it would be longer than the article.

"Higher" education has been an ongoing argument in the WTS for at least the 25 years I was in the org, and I could never really understand why. If God is really with you, who can stand? What is most hypocritical (and downright phony) is that the same dildoes who wrote this article will stand flatfooted and swear that JWs don't tell other JWs what to do; that its all a "matter of conscience".

Para 16 made me physically sick.

In total, this makes me think of George Carlin's famous line about the people who oppose abortion being people you wouldn't want to f*ck anyway. It always seemed like those in the Borg most opposed to "higher" education were people who couldn't count the semester hours in a four hour course.

Rivet-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit