Have you ever just wanted to pick up and leave?

by destroyedbyhate 40 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I have lived on the northeast and east side of Columbus Ohio my entire life. Lord how I would love to go live somewhere else for a while, like California or Alaska or something, just to get some different experiences, different vibes.

If only I was more of an adventurous, risk-taking type.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

As far as escaping the Dubs is concerned you really dont have to move far. A simple move across town and a little facial hair was all it took for me to become a total strainger, a worldly man that has never heard of the "truth".

Now I do think about picking up and leaving all the time when it comes to my job. I think I'd like to go south, somewhere a little more warmer in the fall and winter months. Although with a wife and three kids it's not as easy as that.

• Carmel
    Carmel

hmmm...thinking about that Harley....

carmel

• atypical
    atypical

I am definitely considering moving and starting over somewhere else. I live in the same area where I was born and I can't even go to the store without seeing several people from the congregation. Makes trying to fade extremely difficult. Been working on finding a place my wife would like to live and then selling the house and going. It's hard to have so much history with so many people and then try to make a dramatic change (not attending meetings or going in service) without starting a crapstorm of problems.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

If I get my hands back I want to join the band. I have all the instruments -- Ibanez electric guitar, two acoustics, RP3 digital processor, 160 watt Peavey amp, Williams electric piano/synthesizer, Ludwig drum kit and Zildjan cymbals. Had to sell my 12 string and Yamaha acoustics, but we could make up for that. :)

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    yes, i know just exactly what you are talking about. i have fantasies of just taking a bow and arrow, and a big bowie knife, and a 4 season tent, and a backpack full of survival gear, and just walking into the mountains for a couple of years. by myself. shed this old skin.

If it is not too strange for a girl... I think about this a lot. I used to repel (spell), hike, camp, ski,bike, race. Really burn up the energy. My 1st husband was an extreme outdoorsman. So we would camp with no tent. Just build a shelter, catch fish by hand and roast them on the fire. Kick around in the woods and just enjoy a good beer and nature. Which order is not important. I love a campfire and I love the sky at night and the sounds of the woods. I miss doing that...but not so much him.

Run away, start over? I have done that and it is the best thing. To be away, have a chance to grow without rumors etc. I would move on still, but I think my kids having roots is very important. Someday though, they will grow, and can come visit me where ever I should land. I am hoping to travel a lot when they are grown.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome, Destroyed.

From your past posts it looks as if you have lost both your religion and your wife. This is a mighty big hit.

The problem with running away is that if it is emotional turmoil we are trying to escape from, chances are we will carry it along with us. We just can't run, we can't hide, from the demons within. This, may not be such a bad thing.

What if I told you that the universe gives you whatever you need to awaken to the inner peace that you desire. Stop attempts of escape and instead sit and meet with what you are running from. Use inner turmoil as a doorway leading you inwards. The peace and freedom we seek, we already possess. With sufficient self examination, it can be realized.

Good luck to you. Glad you are here.

j

• atypical
    atypical

James, I love your posts. Do you mind if I ask, how did you get to where you are philosophically? Do you recommend any certain reading, or did you manage to do it on your own? I appreciate the way you seem to be able to eliminate any superstition, but at the same time do not have a materialist / dog eat dog mentality.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but I just had to ask.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I did and have no regrets!

• Gerard
    Gerard

Yes. Best thing I have ever done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit