Would you give blood now? Would you accept it?

by sass_my_frass 29 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

How do you feel about blood now? The thought of taking a blood transfusion still gives me the creeps... but now I know that I'd take one if my life was on the line. I'm thinking about giving blood too.

• TopHat
    TopHat

What is wrong with taking a substitute....I don't want someones blood...nor will I give blood. Not a religious thing...just like you say...it gives me the creeps thinking of taking real blood.

• Purza
    Purza

I have a hard time giving blood (have not yet done it) and I although if I were dying I would probably accept blood, it still grosses me out. I would try all other measures first. But I did just redo my Advance Health Care Directive and I chose an agent would consent to a blood transfusion for me if I was unconscious.

Ironically, my husband and his father are listed as "record donors" at one blood bank.

Purza

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Id give it and take it on an assembly hall parking lot if the local news would cover it.

GBL

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'm not sure what I would do, it's not something I've really thought about yet, but seeing this thread has reminded me to sort out my AMD, so thanks.

I love your idea though GBL.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I have given blood - some years ago, stopped giving: the last time it started bleeding again .....after I left the building

As for receiving - I prefer to get a substitute. I won't receive transplants (but that's what i am thinking now, I am not sure if I change my mind in case of an emergency but I don't think so)

• blondie
    blondie

I have been giving blood since I decided that I would accept blood products (18 months). Fortunately, I qualify physically to do so, not everyone does.

If you will accept blood products, think of the people who probably were not gungho at first that have donated. I have feared procedures with needles all my life. But if there is a good reason, my health and the health of others, I found I can get past it. I have learned not to look. It only takes 8 to 10 minutes once I reach the nurse.

If it starts bleeding after you leave, in this area anyway, there is a 24-hour number and nearby location to go to. It is important to follow all the directions, keeping the bandage on the required amount of time.

I just want to be sure, that when the day comes and I see a blood product flowing into my veins, that I have done everything I can to be part of the donation process if medically possible.

Love, Blondie (no lover of needles)

• greendawn
    greendawn

I would certainly take blood if I had to in order to live if blood substitutes wouldn't work. They can save worries about AIDS and hepatitis but they don't always work.

Once an efficient artificial blood is produced there will be no need for donors or fear of infection or need to know blood type.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

How do you feel about blood now? The thought of taking a blood transfusion still gives me the creeps... but now I know that I'd take one if my life was on the line. I'm thinking about giving blood too. Hello Sass, We are no longer under Law. Giving blood will not violate scripture or count against your salvation in any way. The life you save may even count in your favor. But it gives me the creeps also. Most medical procedures do that, not just blood. Giving and or accepting blood has inherit risks of infection so we must determine if the good outweighs the risks. For some people giving blood is helpful in reducing iron and improving health. Blood substitutes may not work as well as blood and like everything else such use depends on the circumstances. So it is your call. Anyone that eats meat also eats blood so it is not as if anyone truly abstains. T here is no need to be concerned over the letter James wrote in Acts 15. He was the ringleader in keeping the Law and used this very same letter (Acts chapter 21) to chastise the Apostle Paul and threaten him into keeping the Law. Using the threat of bodily harm he coerced Paul to take Nazarite vows and he needed time to reason with them but to no avail. The law keeping disciples in Jerusalem that supported James even tried to kill him afterwards because of his opposition to them. Paul under armed Roman protection barely escaped from them with his life. While such verses were used to coerce you into not using blood, they were the doctrines of James and the apostates of the time just like they are used by apostates in our time. James many years later finally repented of this outrage under heavy pressure from Paul and his teaching. Joseph

• blondie
    blondie
    efficient artificial blood

If you are thinking about hemoglobin-based products, they are made from expired stored human blood (Polyheme) and from cow's blood (Hemopure). The manufacturers have not been able to assure 100% safety from AIDS, hepatitis, or CWD (chronic wasting disease).

While the Biopure company thinks their product is safe because it is from US cows, this year has shown that the cow population in the US is not free of CWD.

I remember too that similar scientific processes, scientists, companies are behind these products for financial gain as well not humanitarian reasons.

Be sure to investigate the origin and safety of a product apart from the manufacturer's statements and anyone who will profit from it.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit