What are the most stupid JW rule?

by beroea 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Thirdson and all,
    Good morning from the rocky mountains!!
    Okay, along the same line as jackets being official attire: DRESSES for all the women. AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! Whenever I would question this, even the slightest, I was always given the official party line about our dress should follow the same pattern as what the world would consider business attire. Okay, I worked at a bank at the time and saw ALOT of pants on women.
    It all boils down to CONTROL.
    B.
    BTW, the slippers thing was too funny!

• Faraon
    Faraon

troucul

the only rule i hated was the no masturbation rule...how gay is that?!

Masturbation is gay only if someone masturbates someone of his/her own sex but not him/herself.

JRP

• Faraon
    Faraon

Sex rules. Specially between married people. People marry in order to legally have sex. They try to even control your life in your own bedroom.

JRP

• onelove
    onelove

Just thought I'd get this off of my chest... (&it's so great to know how many others are out here)
    *college education discouraged
    ----most people in our congregation were encouraged to be janitorial workers so that they could work at night and pioneer in the daytime. my mom was raising 3 kids on a bank teller salary after my dad was disfellowshipped and wanted to go to school. It finally became o.k.
    *no sports in school
    ---------I was being recruited to play basketball from my p.e. teacher and won hoop shoots, my sister was supposed to go to nationals but the elders decided it would be better if she didn't since they would play the national anthem, and hand out medals in a ceremony
    *shouldn't attend weddings or funerals in other churches or of people who are not witnesses
    ----------my mother became a witness at age 13 on her own will and was raised by witness friends and family, after my dad cheated and was disfellowshipped and she went through various witness men dates she found her true lovethat wasn't a witness, people we had grown up with our whole life wrote my mom a nasty letter on why they would not be attending her wedding because he was not a witness
    *no foreplay/sex before marriage
    ----------this forces young witnesses to get married unprepared because their hormones are raging to have sex. I was so sad at my only choices in the small town kingdom hall, assemblies were the only chance to meet other guys
    *no masturbation/ discouraged from wearing tight pants
    -----------yeah right, I was masturbating at like age 7, how can you say its wrong when I didn't even know what i was doing WAS masturbation, How else would young witnesses satisfy their urges not having sex?
    *can't say "god bless you" after a sneeze, "gee" "gosh" "good luck" "oh my god" (my boyfriend that im living in sin with by the way just sneezed and I couldn't pass up the chance to yell god bless you to him,,,ha ha) blasphemy!
    *no gifts for birthdays or holidays,
    ------that was so hard going back to school the day after christmas, everyone had new stuff, going home for holiday parties, passing up cupcakes (or sneaking them home in your backpack and getting caught when they were smeared in your bag) hiding in the house for halloween when neighbor kids yelled "we know you're in there" for xmas the whole congregation was at the ski area and santa claus would pass out candy canes , they stopped hiring him, cuz we all had to refuse, we had to cross out the birthday picture in a coloring book, we couldn't wear green on st patrick's day so of course we got pinched
    *no watching smurfs
    ----they were casting magic and lived under magic mushrooms
    "oh lord", no not that
    *no reading horoscopes, no gambling,
    *no hanging out with friends from school that weren't witnesses:
    ------the funny thing is that those are the one's who corrupted me, the witness kids, were always taking me as an accomplice and alibi so they could smoke, have sex, cuss, drink with college guys, sneak out and drive their mom's car, etc.

god, how i used to sleep through every meeting, when i was young my legs would fall asleep and id wake up screaming, I think i got most of my spiritualism through my dreams at that time. During assemblies, I would just draw the whole time, and who could forget sitting next to your best friend and busting out laughing during the meetings,or like when the district overseer had mashed potatoes on her glasses that were hanging around her neck and then she put them on and didn't even notice or snoring myself awake, or racing down to the front of the assembly to buy the paper flowers before the last prayer was over, or playing footsies with the guy you grew up with under the chairs, Sometimes I'm glad I grew up in the religion, cuz it gave me a morale basis from which to build, and it made me who i am, but I don't know how many people in my family have been disfellowshipped, dad, step-sister, cousins, uncles, friend's mom, and how my dad would write them letters to tell them our names at meetings and then expect us to answer and make him look good while he was trying to get reproved. and my cousins and sister I tell them to rethink before they get reinstated, They are so pressured to get baptized at an early age before they ever know that they may want to be on the swim team or have a boyfriend, because then they'll end up like my dad reinstated and disfellowshipped again for the same thing, because nobody ever really fixed or solved the problem in the first place, just felt sorry that no one was talking to them from their own family. My poor dad was probably emotionally sick from when his mother was jehovah's witness and ignored the molestation going on in the home.
    ooh and the spankings, horse whips from other people's parents, "pick a switch" from the tree from my grandma, what the hell?

• SYN
    SYN

Looks like a lot of the people on this board have had some pretty rough experiences during their Dub lives. Now that I think back, some of the rules were some of the silliest things imaginable. Unfortunately for me, I never saw or heard of ANYONE questioning Societal doctrine...maybe I would have left sooner had it happened, and if I'd been given a chance to directly see the underhanded mind control so prevalent in the BORG.

OneLove: Damn, your story reminds me of my childhood, literally word for word. It's amazing how close your 'experiences' are to mine.

The absolute silliest thing I remember was from my middle childhood, when I was about 7, and I went on field service with my mom, and there were no brothers to 'take the lead', so one of the oldest sisters in my KH had to say the prayer with a doily on top of her head, simply because I was there (I was the only male present, in a group of 20).

Today when I think about it I laugh, because it seems so ludicrous, but the people involved took it rather too seriously for my liking.

Once when I was at an assembly, I was busy putting some small muffins + other delectable, home made items on my paper plate during lunch (that was when food was still served at the Assemblies), and an older brother came trundling along and reproved me, saying I should "leave some for the other brothers", when in fact there was so much food that a lot of it got thrown away.

What else...hmmm...lemme see...I also wasn't allowed to go to any extra-curricular activities, which resulted in me taking several nasty steps down on the social ladder at school usually. I changed schools quite often, and each time I would usually have to introduce a whole BUNCH of people to the WTBTS doctrines in my new school, and this all landed up being quite a painful experience.

But you should see the expression on a chyq'Z face when I'm lying next to her in bed the morning after and I tell her I was in a high-control Cult for most of my life! HEHE! Totally freaks them out...they think I'm a psycho or something, then I prove them right

[SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa - For Great Justice![/b]

• Latte
    Latte

It's got to be that of banning marriage between anyone who is a non- believer. I accept that you dodge many, many marital trials by marrying someone who is of the same faith, but lets face it, there is hardly any 'choice' in the org.

It is quite a cruel rule, as I know of many who have endured much depression due to their being unable to find a partner. The latest W/T (which I know has already been highlighted) re-inforces most strongly that one should not marry out of the borg.
    WT. May 1st 2002. P.17 para 13 onwards.

Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit