What are the most stupid JW rule?

by beroea 65 Replies latest jw friends

• beroea
    beroea

What are the most stupid JW rule?

What do you consider to be the most stupid rules or tradition of the JW lives? I’m thinking about any kind of rule or regulative that only has one answer to the questions WHY:

“I don’t know why it’s just the way we do and have done for a long time”

In my case one could be the “name plate” to carry personal at the summer convention. It’s expected to have it on all the time also on the way to and from the convention. If you come without it you are consider as a bad guy. I thought that if some interested ones came to have a look at what the JW was about they should be met by understanding and welcome. But they are looked at with suspiciousness.

What about you?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

How about all of them?

Why not encourage ones to read the scriptures and decide for themselves. As one matures spiritually, they would naturally give up things harmful to them.

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

i think you mean suggestions and not rules.....congergations shouldnt really have rules
    I have never worn a name badge and, and have never been veiwed as
    a "bad guy".......maybe its something else for you?

Bethel on the other hand has rules a plenty....

NO SHORTS near the Home...

• open_mind
    open_mind

I personaly think that the rule that drove me CrAzY is the no beard rule. I had many conflicts with the elders regarding this issue................But I find that many of their rules are pretty stupid, and very unbiblical.

• beroea
    beroea

My message is that we don't need rules. Rules are in general only a matter of power one man to another

Beroea

• mommy
    mommy

One I just heard about, my brother had a head injury and he had a few staples put in his head to close a gash. At the hospital they shaved that part of his head. He decided to be more uniform and shaved all of it. After the wound had healed, he continued to shave his head, because he had gotten use to the look. A month later the brothers took him into the library and threatened his priveledges if he did not grow his hair back! Of course my brother did, grudgingly. I guess it can't be too long, or too short, it must be just right.
    wendy(wondering where in the bible it says that)

In a controversy the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hello Beroea,
    I think that perhaps the silliest rules are those arbitrary ones of dress and grooming. The only true Scriptural parameters on dress are neatness and modesty.
    Apart from that, the continuing disapproval of beards is but one indication of how sadly out-of-touch the leadership. It's common knowledge that a well-tended beard bears no stigma whatsoever.
    However, with this issue as with so many others, money often influences the Society's attitude. I recall one specific, prominent instance of this in regard to facial hair.
    Remember the Society's film ``Heritage'' of the early sixties? It was produced by a local brother, one Timothy Galfas, St. Galfas, a wealthy, highly successful photograper and producer (he even did several of Rod Serling's ``Night Gallery'' episodes).
    He sported -- and flaunted -- a goatee in the early sixties, when it was considered particularly abhorrent, conducted the WT and gave talks on the circuit assemblies. Why? Because of his prominence, wealth, and generosity to many high-level Bethelites, including Knorr and Henschel. His colleagues on the local servant body couldn't understand how well regarded he was since months would go by without his having gone out door to door.
    I understand he later crashed and burned, ``truth''-wise.
    Also, I love the semantics used to justify the use of ties and suits... when is it ``adhering to local standards for businessmen''
    or ``conforming to worldly standards?''..... Whenever the Society says it is, of course.

• joelbear
    joelbear

How bout,

Whenever people become weak spiritually or get involved in some personal problem area we will stop having anything to do with them and leave it up to 6 to 8 overworked guys to get around to all of them and spend enough time with them to actually help them.

Makes sense to me.

I have no idea and never will know how my own personal path would have been shaped if instead of shunning me all my friends and family had said, you know, Joel is about to go down a path that we think will be really bad for him, lets really rally around him, spend a lot of time with him, keep him busy, maybe we can get him out of his depressed state and he can be happy being celibate and surrounded by his friends.

Now, you can say, oh, see, you are blaming others, your faith in God and your knowledge of the Bible should have sustained you. Possibly, but the Watchtower organization itself states that our brothers and sisters are a large component of our relationship with god, thus the need for meeting attendance, etc.

peace

Joel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Wendy,

Nice to hear from you. I guess what your brother needs to be concerned about is, what leads the elders to take the position with him that they did? It's not the Bible as you have rightely questioned, so is it in The Watchtower? If not, then where was the encouragement to the elders from? Could it be from secret instructions from the Society perhaps relayed by travelling overseers at elders meetings? It has to come from somewhere, doesn't it?

G'day Room 215 too,

Always make a point of reading your posts. Thanks for contributing. I suppose in a sense it's appropriate for the "adhering to local standards for businessmen" because it's God's business corporation, isn't it?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Evil is the absence of empathy"
    Movie (2000), Nuremberg

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

*No blood transfusions (IS that still the rule this week?)
    *No organ transplants (Oh wait, that's an old rule...)
    *No beards (well it all depends which congregation you attend)
    *No flag salute
    *No Military service
    *Alternative service is ok as long as you get arrested first (huh?)
    *No skirts with high slits (if you want to keep the privledge of giving those acadamy award winning talks on the ministry achool)
    *No Birthdays, Christmas, Easter, etc. (wouldn't want to be like those pesky pagans would we? Well actually yes...)
    *Make Sure Of All Things! (Just don't you dare use non-JW publications to do the making sure, consarn it)
    And there's so many more, but I have to go get the kids breakfast now

BW don't play dat! (Anymore)

BW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit