What are the most stupid JW rule?

by beroea 65 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

The rules on "counting time" were the most pathetic.

We had a territory that included lots of out-lying villages. So in order to count the time, we had to do some local return visits first and then travel.

In our congregation you could only count time from the first door knock to the last.

• justhuman
    justhuman

rules? what rules? do we have rules?

• more2C
    more2C

I remember growing up in Upstate NY, when there was a controversary over whether or not to use a pen or not when underlining a WT. At the time, it was almost like defacing a "holy" document by marking it all over in pen. Eventually, it was the norm to underline your WT in pen. Otherwise, it would look like you didn't study it. "To pen or not to pen, that was the question."

• teejay
    teejay

Sorry I missed it earlier, Joel, but that was a nice post.

Whenever people become weak spiritually or get involved in some personal problem area we will stop having anything to do with them... I have no idea and never will know how my own personal path would have been shaped if instead of shunning me all my friends and family had said, you know, Joel is about to go down a path that we think will be really bad for him, lets really rally around him...

I don't see your viewpoint as blaming others for your mistakes or how your life has turned out. We all need help sometimes. Doesn't the bible speak of 'good associations', and wouldn't they be useful when we are going through tough times? Even animals in the wild rally around weaker members, especially when a serious threat is present. The Society encourages their members to ignore the bible's message and take a different approach, as you've pointed out. I don't recall it being a Christian concept, but we've gotten used to that from the WTS, eh? It's a shame.

tj

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    The Society encourages their members to ignore the bible's message and take a different approach, as you've pointed out. I don't recall it being a Christian concept, but we've gotten used to that from the WTS, eh? It's a shame.

Too true. I think when a good hearted person realizes the reality of that, thier WT career is over.

• beroea
    beroea

To Moxy

See post earlier.1985
    Beroea

• VM44
    VM44

Timothy Galfas made the "Heritage" movie? That is interesting.
    Checking online, I see that the Presiding overseer of the
    Peachtree Congregationis Timothy Galfas, same person?

• troucul
    troucul

the only rule i hated was the no masturbation rule...how gay is that?!

we had an elder known for asking young brothers about that...supposedly of the 'anointed'...sounds highly suspicious if you ask me...

hey eyebrow where in new england you from?

je pense, donc, je suis

• jurs
    jurs

I didn't care for having to wear a dress and the rule about kids not playing sports. also I had a problem with the unspoken rules or rather the things that were discouraged, for example I knew a witness family who didn't Encourage their children to read anything except what the society provides.. Now thats a stupid rule
    jurs

• patio34
    patio34

One that always annoyed me and seemed exceptionally prudish was that young couples could not sit together at the meetings unless they were engaged. My son was engaged but the engagement ring hadn't been purchased yet, so the elders forbade them to sit together!

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit