Skirting the issue

by Virgogirl 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• riko
    riko

The 'curt' answer I always used to get was that it's out of repect for God...but shouldn't our respect for God be a personal thing, doesn't mean too much when it's forced and resented. In your heart, you could be being respectful to God in whatever you wear, whatever feels appropriate to you, and with God being able to read your heart condition and all....there shouldn't be limits.

I can understand where it's come from in a way but I still don't agree, if the 'truth' is meant to be so personal a thing, why won't the society let us make up our own minds?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Well, we are all born without any clothes on at all! I just don't see where God would be impressed by what clothing mere humans put on.

well yea Adam and Eve were naked for the lonest time until they sinned and God gave them fig leaves to wear. Hmmm seems to me that God decided the attire for his worshippers. And from the sound of it he didn't make a difference between make and female fig leaves

Now all I want to know is:

l

v

l

v

l

v

Where can I buy my fig leaf?

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Well, you'll be happy to know the good news Lady Lee!!

We are starting a new church called the "Blinding Light of the Fig Leaves", and we'd love you to join. And, because we "know" God wants men to wear one fig leaf, and woman three, we will have to insist on unity in this issue. Otherwise, we will be forced to exhibit one of ways we keep our little flock pure, it's called "shedding". Yes, if you are rebellious, you will find yourself in a very embarrassing situation, to say the least!!!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    I've never seen a man in a Pant Suit before

Well I'm dating myself now, but if you were around in the 70s and saw leisure suits you'd think they were "pantsuits". I mean lime green polyester with dark overstitching or powder blue with navy overstitching.... ewww.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a certain cognitive dissonence about a god that would look at your outward appearance and be impressed by it even if you were thinking about video games??!! wtf? I'm glad that isn't my god. Number one, if that god is that superficial he deserves what he gets, but then he would be forgetting that other scripture where he talked about whitewashed graves being so pretty to the eye but full of dead men's bones.

The bottom line is, the marketing firm is patriarchal, the old man's club. They would have us in burkhas if they had thought of that first.

Sherry

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I want to tell everyone I appreciate all the clever and thought provoking responses! But I'm still wondering, how do they convince the woman of 2005 that the Christian female must only wear skirts and dresses to the Kingdumb Hell or in Witlessing activities? Most of us have been out for awhile, but I'm curious...how did they convince us? Guys, did you agree at the time, that your female family members ought to go along with this? How did you convince them?

Lady Lee, great point you made! I doubt if Adam received a men's size XL fitted figleaf, and Eve got a thong and 36B figleaf matching set! Must've been a one size fits all leaf!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I don't think it's just a bunch of crotchety old men forcing their outdated views upon hapless women. In some cases, yes, but like I said before, must JW women seem to conform to this aspect of the JW code without reservation.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

aaaack They beter be veeerry big fig leafs otherwise people will go blind and mad with the shock shudder

Well you know women just have to be modest and not stumble anyone and lord knows we can't befuddle a poor man's brain (I won't say which one) if we are showing cleavage and a bit of thigh.

Personally I have to wonder how many times a female was sitting in the seats with her knees spread a bit too wide giving a view to the speaker on the platform. Makes me wonder why pants weren't mandatory.

Hmmm maybe that's exactly why pants weren't allowed

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Dan, spoken as a male. I know you don't pretend to speak for all women or even know what we think in the privacy of our own heads. I know a lot of the women in the congregations I went to grumbled about this one.

Lady Lee I think you hit it exactly!!!

Sherry

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

When we used to freeze out in service, my mom would say something like, "Heavens, it's COLD out here!" My dad would reply, "Hmm, I don't think it's that cold!" Mom:"Well, of coures not, you've got PANTS on!" He would just smirk.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Sorry Gretchen, I'm sure you're correct...l'm in a shitty mood tonight and my posts are reflecting it...LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit