Skirting the issue

by Virgogirl 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's the result of getting involved with a high control group they want to tightly control their members lives, it's a case of spiritual bondage and domination.

Women after all don't have to wear tight sexually provocative trousers (pants), I wonder what they do in Alaska in the winter.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches
    this really shows how the WT twist the scriptures. If its detestible to Jehovah to wear the opposite sexs clothes why is it only valid in the Hall and not when we are out shopping or socializing ?

You know what!? You are completely right!!

Seriously if you want to prove an instance of the WTBTS twisting the scriptues here is shining example!!

In my personal opinion I honestly believe its because the leaders of this organisation wanted to make a distinction between the sexes (yet again...). So its like some sort of honour to be able to wear pants or something... Good grief...

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Wearing uniforms / dress codes etc.. is part of identification with an organisation. There are many in our society who get off on achieving personal liberty at the expense of breaking organisational standards.

The army won't stand for it, many companies have dress codes that don't involve 'wear what the heck you like' attitudes. If you go out to a high class restaurant , go golfing or visit an exclusive night club you'd be expected to conform to a certain dress standard. It is indicitive of our current lack of respect and seriousness about anything official that we want to worship God in sneakers and t-shirts when we are perfectly willing to make an effort for other far less important occasions.

How we dress directly affects how we act and think - we seem desparate to show disrespect for God at every chance by dressing down and then arguing that God is no respecter of persons, we want to erase a God worthy of utmost respect and create some nice imaginary being who is impressed that you binned His commandments, is chuffed by down dressing, loves it when you bad mouth him, is satisfied that you look upon the death and sacrifice of his son as some fairly trivial act that gives an excuse for any kind of behaviour as long as you say the right things like 'I believe.'

Sorry to whoever this offends - dress how the hell you want but as for me and my house I still try and dress my best for God, it a very small act that reflects how grateful I am.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Qcmbr - My favourite Mormon!!!

Seriously think of it from a girls perspective. If you are going out witnessing and its freezing cold outside and you are not allowed to wear pants that's horrible. Trust me we have very long cold miserable winters where I live. Why would God not want you to dress appropriately for the season.

Just so you know where I stand in light of this comment:

How we dress directly affects how we act and think - we seem desparate to show disrespect for God at every chance by dressing down and then arguing that God is no respecter of persons, we want to erase a God worthy of utmost respect and create some nice imaginary being who is impressed that you binned His commandments, is chuffed by down dressing, loves it when you bad mouth him, is satisfied that you look upon the death and sacrifice of his son as some fairly trivial act that gives an excuse for any kind of behaviour as long as you say the right things like 'I believe.'

Actually I still believe in God. I don't go about tarted up. I would hate to think I would do anything that would disrespect God!

Our grievance here is that the WTBTS applies this scripture to meetings and field service but not to normal day to day life. It is twisting them. Where is the consistency?

I don't think God would care if a female wore ladies pants...

P.S. Not offended...

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

qcmbr: how we dress is how we act

Very true. Observe your friends and yourself at a masquerade party and you'll see the characters played out. The conservative look of the JDubs is no different to many other organizations and churches. I own my company, and I can wear whatever. But, if I'm pitching an idea, or bidding a contract, I always wear what I think will give me the edge.

I think the JDub style is having an effect on recruitment. The mantra is to appear clean, smart and tidy, so as not to offend / 'put off'(insert trademark symbol) the potential enlistee by diverting 'the message' of representing God, works against them. You can spot a JDub a mile away. When my producer was in town, I showed him around the JDub facilities here in Brooklyn, and within a couple of hours he was able to spot who were the JDubs in the neighbourhood. The outward symbolism of what it is to be a JDub to the layperson, is, to be a drone. All cut from the same cookie cutter.

Who would want a bite of that!

steve

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Well, we are all born without any clothes on at all! I just don't see where God would be impressed by what clothing mere humans put on. That can't be what's important. I do agree it's disrespectful to be sloppy in a place of worship, whether that would be in hygiene, behavior or clothing. However, I have some navy, gray and black pantsuits that are more dignified than some of my dresses and in my opinion, I look more dressed up in them. As others have said, we just don't understand why there's no consistency to this rule. Seems like a case of "adding to the word" the opinions of men. When I argued this point with the elders and they ran out of reasons, it usually came down to, "because we say so!"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    it was a publication or a scripture (but I'm pretty sure it was a scripture) about not adorning yourself in clothes that are typically worn by the opposite sex....

I've never seen a man in a Pant Suit before and I certainly hope I never do!

• TopHat
    TopHat

Men would look rather womanly in my pants suits

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Exactly, lol! So a woman in a nice pantsuit at the Hall really wouldn't be adorning herself in the garb of a male, because males don't wear pantsuits!

• Terry
    Terry

I remember once asking a Circuit Servant (do they still have those?) why such an emphasis is made on there being "Neither male nor female; Jew nor Greek" and yet so many rules seem to turn on nothing but the sex of a person. The idea that the great, great, great, great grandmother Eve was a woman seemed to always be the answer.

I recall saying rather vocally that this wasn't much of an answer.

"Wait on Jehovah" was the admonition.

In other words, nobody knows, cares, reasons or considers things; they simply ape them, repeat them and enforce them.

Bah!

T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit