Skirting the issue

by Virgogirl 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Yep! My last, best and final answer was, "Stop arguing with the elders!" (and gitcher little skirt on, sistah!) haha!

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

Qcmbr, I seem to remember a scripture from the Bible that states that God doesn't care about the outter appearance of a man. I wonder what that meant? Now, before you get to the next, inevitable, statement, i.e. "We are showing respect for our brothers and sisters." If God doesn't care what we wear, why should they. It would gain more for them to respect me and my right of personal choice, than deciding that I'm dressing the way I do is because of them. It isn't always about them.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

peaches

Oh, they twist away.

Of course, in THOSE days men didn't wear trousers. Hell, the Roman's (obviously a fhousand years later) thought wearing trousers was effeminate!!

So the Dubbies obviously interpret this as 'wear culturally appropriate clothes for your gender'.

Of course, being stuck in a 1950's cultural time wharp where someone with a beard is a beatnik, and women didn't wear trousers, they have failed to notice that standards have changed and beards and women in trousers don't mean what they used to mean.

In today's society trousers are culturally appropriate.for women.

It's just typical of the Pharasee-like attitude of adding laws to burder those they are meant to guide.

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

I think it mainly has to do with social custom being projected on to god. Many of the leaders in any church are older. They take the social customs of their day and believe that's what constitues
    something being right. Since in their time a woman dressed a particular way they then go through life thinking that that's the only right way for them to dress. You'll notice the same with men's style in the org.

This is an example of the commandment "thou shalt not take thy lord's name in vein"

It is vanity in the extreme to project ones own thoughts onto god and put words in his/her/it's mouth and pretend that god said so. This one command I found to be the least understood as people asways project the content of their own mind upon so-called holy scriptures and then speak for god. This issue with skirts reminds me of how they say it's wrong for men to have long hair. Jesus did...so what's up? It's a modern "worldly" social custum for men to have short hair. Both issues wind up being one and the same when you look at what operates behind them.

Dez

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

When Deuteronomy 22:5 says that a woman should not wear a man’s clothes, does it mean that women should not wear slacks?—J. P., Pennsylvania.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (Da) reads: "There shall not be a man’s apparel on a woman, neither shall a man put on a woman’s clothing; for whoever doeth so is an abomination to Jehovah thy God." This text certainly was not recorded with the thought in mind of preventing modern women from wearing slacks. Men did not wear slacks or trousers when this was recorded, but what we would view as dresses today. In parts of the Orient, in fact, the men wore dresslike robes and the women wore pajamalike trousers of varying styles. So the wearing of slacks or even work pants, such as around a farm, is not forbidden by this text and is an individual matter. The women can use good judgment as to time and place and what is accepted as proper in the section where they reside. In some sections where winters are severe many women wear trousers or ski suits or some similar garment that covers and protects their legs. Such is not Scripturally wrong.

At Deuteronomy 22:5 the Bible is not dealing with fashions or fretting over styles, but apparently it is here forbidding persons of one sex from wearing the clothing of the opposite sex for purposes of deceit, to appear of the opposite sex, to hide the true facts. Men should not try to deceitfully dress like women to hide the fact that they are men, nor should women try to dress in men’s clothes to hide the fact that they are women. Being more specific, the Bible seems to be striking a blow against the sin of sodomy. It was a disgrace for a woman’s hair to be shorn like a man’s, and it was a dishonor for a man’s hair to be allowed to grow long like a woman’s. (1 Cor. 11:6, 14) The woman was not to appear masculine by having short hair like a man’s or by wearing clothes like a man’s. It might suggest to others that she was available for unnatural sex uses. Likewise the man. If he wore long hair like a woman’s or garbed himself in women’s clothes he would certainly appear effeminate and open to propositions from men for unnatural sex use. So it is this deeper meaning with sodomy in view, and not a mere switching of clothes in itself, that brings this practice under prohibition and makes it deserve the severe judgment: "Whoever doeth so is an abomination to Jehovah thy God."

In view of this prohibition, is it proper for a woman to wear slacks?

The evident purpose of this law was to prevent sex abuses and confusion of sexual identity. In appearance and attire, normally a man wants to look like a male and a woman like a female. For an Israelite to act contrary to this internal sense of propriety could have led to homosexuality. Although both men and women then wore robelike garments, there was a difference between the garb of males and that of females. Similarly, in some parts of the earth today, both men and women wear slacks, though the styles differ for each sex. The principle in this text would not rule out a Christian woman’s wearing slacks sometimes, as when working around the house or on a farm. And according to local custom and necessity, slacks may be the desired attire in very cold climates. The Bible counsels women to "adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind."

so there you have it...the wts does not condemn the wearing of trousers by women...but obviously if you dont live in a cold climate (note not nessercarily a cold day) or if you dont work on a farm, then any woman wearing trousers outside of the house is obviously not of sound mind
  • BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

What?! Has no one hear heard of wearing 2 or 3 pair of pantyhose under your below-the-knee skirt to help keep your legs warm in freezing weather? Panty girdles that come down almost to the knees help keep warm too.

My mom even bought an extra large pair of pantyhose for my dad (an elder) to wear in service during one below-freezing winter! And he wore them. Afterall, no one could see them.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Its a selling point - some men like women in skirts all he time - the sort of old fashioned repressed types of men that fit nicely into the organisation. Plus how they gonna pull any men in without the sisters showing a little bit of leg!

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

When I was a kid my mother wore pants to the KH when we lived in Japan.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's simply the "custom."
    Many things in the organization are custom and nothing more.
    For example, men not growing beards.
    Or... stopping for coffee out in service, now that one NO ONE'S GOING TO TAKE AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I last time I went to a kingdom hall I wore pants...no lie!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit