Skirting the issue

by Virgogirl 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

What argument is put forth that women must only wear dresses or skirts to the meetings or in service and are not permitted to wear slacks? Where does it say it's wrong for sisters to wear pants, and how are they convincing women in 2005 to buy into this? Anybody know? I remember many bitterly cold Chicago mornings with frozen legs running to doors and back to the warm car as quickly as possible, wearing a skirt which was ridiculous and inappropriate to the weather conditions. Regardless, we were never allowed to wear pants.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Good topic Virgogirl!

I am most likely wrong on this but I remember bringing this up with an elder when I was in my teens. I can't remember if it was a publication or a scripture (but I'm pretty sure it was a scripture) about not adorning yourself in clothes that are typically worn by the opposite sex....

Damn I wish I could remember this clearly but its been so long now...

And too many good times has my memory shot to pieces!

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I think i remember something along those lines too, Miss Peaches. My comeback as a mouthy (and very cold) teenager was, "Well, then shouldn't you guys be wearing togas? And long hair? Besides, didn't Jehovah give us brains and the common sense to dress for the weather?" But aside from bad weather days when it would be logical to cover the legs, how can a working woman, for example, wear a pant suit to the office, then switch gears and tell herself she's gotta put on a dress for the meeting, because now pants are wrong? It was fine to come home from service and change into Levi's when i was a kid.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember hearing a lot of "respect for god's house" and not much else. No real explanation for why tasteful pants couldnt be respectful. =P

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

yeah, im a hundred percent sure it had nothing to do with the fact that all the JW brass are male, and that theyre all horny bastards....

the infamous one

• young hearts, be free..
    young hearts, be free..

Well, I'm really glad now that I can wear a skirt and boob-tube without getting funny looks from the C/O when he's delivering his talk directed at Local Needs:Dress and Grooming.... I was always pissed that girls weren't allowed to wear pant suits etc, could never see the sense in it myself......My girlfriend wore one to work, and was tempted to wear it to the meeting as well but mother superior put a stop to that

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Ah huh!!!! FOUND IT!!

The scripture is Deuteronomy 22:5 from the New World Translation

5 “No garb of an able-bodied man should be put upon a woman, neither should an able-bodied man wear the mantle of a woman; for anybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah your God.

No doubt though the WTBTS have twisted this one completely out of context!!!

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

i guess women cant wear boxers either, or any kind of sports jersey, umm t-shirts, shorts...

WTF!!

the infamous one

• vitty
    vitty

Miss peaches, this really shows how the WT twist the scriptures. If its detestible to Jehovah to wear the opposite sexs clothes why is it only valid in the Hall and not when we are out shopping or socializing ?

It for show and nothing more !

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I just wonder why they only applied this scripture to meetings and service? It doesn't specify WHEN this rule is supposed to be effective... to me it implies all the time. If they're going to apply this scripture to modern days, I would think it would mean NEVER wear pants, not just to meetings.

Goes to show another case of pulling scriptures out of their posteriors to make a point that wasn't intended to be made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit