Franz' statement is outrageously unreasonable!

by Schizm 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

Eternal Life On Earth? God told the first human couple their destiny if they disobeyed. He did not discuss their eternal future if they obeyed. -- http://www.commentarypress.com/essay-lifeonearth.html
    The above statement was made by Raymond Franz--which is the most unreasonable thing I've heard anyone say in my entire life! The man is actually suggesting that the Bible holds no sure promise of living forever on planet Earth. "[God] did not discuss [Adam & Eve's] eternal future if they obeyed," Franz says. What nonsense! God created Adam and Eve to live, not to die. Obviously, it wasn't God's wish for them to die! God preferred that they obey and live, not disobey and die. Thus, it stands to reason that had Adam and Eve been obedient to God's command they would have never died. And, if they had never died, where would they have lived forever? On planet earth, of course!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Schizm:

Where exactly in Genesis did God discuss what Adam and Eve's future would be if they obeyed?

• Schizm
    Schizm
    16 And Jehovah God also laid this command upon the man: “From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. 17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will positively die.” -- Genesis 2:16-17.

Your question is every bit as unreasonable as Raymond's statement above, funkyderek. You been attending Raymond's Sunday School?

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Schizm, I suppose I'll be the first to point this out, but surely not the last: Your post actually confirms Ray Franz' statement. If you want to refute an argument, you don't do it simply by tossing around adjectives such as "outrageous" and "unreasonable" (in any case, there are MANY more "outrageous" statements both in the Bible, and in the writings of WTBTS). Instead, you are supposed to support your position by providing evidence. If you are going to cite a scripture, one which actually says something different from what Ray Franz said would have helped. The cited passage from Gen 2:16-17 speaks about DIS-obedience and its consequences, EXACTLY what Ray Franz said. Not exactly a compelling argument.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Schizm:

Your question is every bit as unreasonable as Raymond's statement above

My question is unreasonable? How so?

You took issue with the claim that God "did not discuss [Adam and Eve's] eternal future if they obeyed". You claimed it was "outrageously unreasonable", in fact the most unreasonable thing you had ever heard. Obviously then, unless you're a liar or an idiot you believe God did discuss what Adam and Eve's future would be if they obeyed. I don't recall any such discussion in the Bible so I asked you to point it out. I'd still like you to do so if you don't think that's unreasonable.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Schizm, I suppose I'll be the first to point this out, but surely not the last: Your post actually confirms Ray Franz' statement. -- gaiagirl.

Of course it does. How stupid of me to think otherwise. Duh!

• Schizm
    Schizm
    I don't recall any such discussion in the Bible so I asked you to point it out. -- Funky Derek.

Neither do I. Now quit being so outrageously unreasonable!

edited to remove insulting version of poster's ID ~ Scully

• vitty
    vitty

Schizm Where you being sarcastic, I dont understand your point !!!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Schizm:

I don't recall any such discussion in the Bible so I asked you to point it out.

Neither do I.

So where is this discussion if not in the Bible? For you to think Franz's statement that there was no such discussion is unreasonable, you must have reason to believe there was such a discussion. Are you privy to divine revelations? Please share whatever you know on this subject.

vitty:

I think it may be some kind of joke, but I don't really get it either.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Where you being sarcastic, I dont understand your point !!! -- vitty.

"Where"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit