How the Internet Means 'The End' for Apostates and Opposers of the Society

by slimboyfat 89 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The received wisdom is that the Internet has dramatically damaged the ability of the Watchtower Society to gain and retain followers. There was a very eloquent article to that effect written some time ago by a commentator who attempted to buttress his argument with reference to the postmodern condition and the breakdown of metanarratives in today’s secular society, nay, even the come-back for Enlightenment notions of “truth”.

In the 1970/80s there were major challenges to the Watchtower’s theology (great crowd in heaven) and chronology (1914) in Norway, Alberta Canada, Dublin Ireland and in the NewYork Bethel itself: but the damage caused by those involved in the dissent was limited because knowledge was dispersed merely through personal contact and minimal use of obscure publications that seldom met the eyes of Witnesses innocent of the Watchtower’s doctrinal and chronological vacillations in any case. During the 1990s this all changed, and now most Witnesses have access to all the information involved in those earlier disputes, plus many more recent “scandals”, at the click of a button in the privacy of their own homes. Surely this must open the floodgates of mass exodus? Wrong! Let me explain why: The Internet has in truth proved a very mixed blessing for apostates indeed; in fact I will argue that it has proved a positive disadvantage in the furtherance of their cause. Here are some of the main reasons for this:

In the pre-Internet age apostates would engage much more with their ‘brothers’ in the faith about the doubts they were having and dissention spread more productively. This was because defectors simply did not have the support networks available to them that they can now find on forums such as this: they were forced to work away at their issues with fellow Witnesses, and were often far more effective in convincing others in their congregations to join them as a result. That is why major regional defections (such as in Alberta and Norway mentioned above) happened in the pre-Internet age and are not likely to be repeated. Whereas pre-Internet apostates would extract themselves from the community with much struggle and bloodletting, a key buzzword for apostates in the Internet age is the “fade”. Apostates now simply slip away from congregations without dragging others with them because they have another option than going through all the trouble: they simply immerse themselves in the online apostate community instead. The Internet is truly a blessing for the Society in this respect: apostates are causing less trouble in local congregations than they once did.

But surely even if apostates are less vocal locally, this is more than made up for by the fact that most Witnesses worldwide now can access apostate literature (sometimes even accidentally) on their home computers. Don’t the numbers of those here on this forum who learned the “truth about the troof” in that way testify to the danger the Internet poses for the Society? Not really. Most Witnesses are too busy to look up apostate sites; many who do come upon them casually make fun of them and, most importantly, those Witnesses who are very active online have been effective in recent years at creating protected online communities. They have learned from the mistakes of the early days of greatcrowd.com and such like. Apostates often pride themselves in their exploits of infiltration into such “moderated” Witness groups. But the truth is that even the most active online apostate aggressors have only a limited grasp of the scope of the online Witness community. They are only biting at the ankles on the periphery.

There are no great apostate conventions anymore. In Britain there used to be great ex-Witness conventions: now all but disappeared: thanks to the Internet. Penton Stafford, Bergman, Johnson, Franz and others simply message each other on Channel C rather than meet up for grand discussions. The “Apostafest” of lesser apostates is the poor relative in the Internet age of the great ex-Witness gatherings in the pre-Internet period. Apostasy is all but dead: in the flicker of a hyperlink.

The Internet spells the end for effective apostasy and should make the Watchtower Society have one huge sigh of relief.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Your comment shows how completely you are out of touch with reality!!! Get your head out of the sand...what planet do you live on???

Swalker

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Is this a cut and paste? I know you're not an apologist...so that does create a differnet slant on this. Do you think this is what the Witnesses are saying amongst themselves?

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

I've got to say, I disagree with your reasoning.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It is cut from my word document. I wrote it in a hurry and then pasted. The thoughts are inalienably my own.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Well, all we need to do then, is create more trouble, share our doubts and info and not just roam around web sites. That's what I've been trying to do anyway..those who have family menbers and friends in the cult will always be trying new and creative ways to pass the word. Sure it takes a bit of time, but in my opinion, it's totally worth it.

• metatron
    metatron

Nonsense.

What you assert would be akin to saying that the USSR was stronger due to defectors getting away. You also need to examine

your definition of "apostate" more carefully. It doesn't matter if Witnesses drift away into official 'apostate' groups as long as

they drift away! Most Witnesses leaving these days are soured on organized religion and unwilling to commit themselves.

That's OK! The internet has rapidly eroded the whole doctrinal structure of the organization such that they are remarkably

unwillling to debate or even defend their beliefs with any depth or rigour. Take note of how 'defenders of the faith' have vanished

in defeat from this and other boards! The internet has also intensified a 'snapping' behavior that theatens the very existence

of the Watchtower Society - wherein one careless "visit" to an apostate web site can have devastating effects on a Witnesses'

faith. This happened to me and many others! Just imagine the possibility of "someone who knows too much" suddenly

defecting and dragging the Watchtower deep into legal trouble!

The internet will eventually bring the Watchtower down because we are like a guerilla force that cannot be defeated

and whose sanctuary cannot be seized. We are always here to fight them and can't be stopped or eliminated,

rather like jihadists crossing a border or VietCong infiltrating from Cambodia.

As a centralized opponent, the Watchtower faces doom.

metatron

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

slimboyfat, if not for the Internet I would know 1% of what I know now. I may still be an active JW. I disagree with your conclusions. There are thousands of avenues that will be looked at by the young, the young will use the Internet. The young will challenge authority. And the young are leaving in droves.

A friend expressed to me the other day that although he has never talked to an apostate before he never knew they were reasonable intelligent people with serious doctrinal problems with the Org. He thought they were all deranged lunatics foaming at the mouth. He said he wished that he had left before he married and had kids, and that if he knew then what he knows now he would have. I only put him onto researching three issues, and in two days he knew the schmere was a crock.

He was able to this because of computer technology, the WT CD-ROM is the apostate's best friend. The Internet is the exiting JW's best friend.

AuldSoul

• Terry
    Terry

The greatest danger to the Watchtower Society is that which they do to themselves by tightening the controls on the rank and file. By wringing every last drop of obedience and conformity from them, the FDS burns them out. The burnout reduces them to a cinder useless to their own selves, their family and to the Kingdom Hall.

Just like alcoholics, the mind-controlled Jehovah's Witness has to hit the very bottom of their existence to seek an alternative. Only the most empty-of-self non-person clings to the fantasy hopes of the New Order now. Busy-busy-busy....tired...sick...exhausted....faltering...WARNED!....slow...slower......DISFELLOWSHIPPED!

The ranks of the EX-JW are a kind of corollary to this natural sifting process.

The utter failure of Watchtower policies automatically increases the ranks of the Ex-JW. But, not all Ex-JW's become apostate!

The craving of a person who has lost "self" is to be told what to do by an authority figure! That is how the churches will benefit from this winnowing process of Watchtower failure.

Only the THINKING few who examine the cause of their plight will ever escape the mind-control destiny and become Apostate.

From the state of Apostacy, only a few will linger to battle the giant feckless machine of Watchtowerdom.

Such sites as this, The Jehovah's Witness Discussion Forum, afford a glimpse to the confused, the sick, the faltering and pig-headed. The glimpse is a damning one!

Ultimately, only a thinking mind can see the way clear of control is to control yourself.

T.

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

My brother is a District Overseer in one of our fine northern states. He recently came from a meeting of District Overseers and the first thing he said to me upon his return was "It's official. The Society is afraid of the Internet!"

If you think about it, if what you say is true the Watchtower would be promoting Internet use instead of telling witnesses to stay away from it.

Many of us choose to "fade" because of the consequences of just abruptly leaving. We love our families and want to keep them in our lives. It is just a choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit