How the Internet Means 'The End' for Apostates and Opposers of the Society

by slimboyfat 89 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    On the other hand the Internet has tended to promote the "fade" as the form of exit from the Watchtower, which in many ways helps the Watchtower to silence local voices of dissent.

Interesting thought. A couple of opinions of mine on the value of dissent where JW's are concerned.

• We all know that dissent has long been handled by disfellowshipping for apostasy, esp since 1980. So there is no such thing as a real dissent movement.
    • In the past, people who decided that JW's weren't the "truthâ„¢" simply left. Any attempt at talking about personal doubts or efforts to expose factual history regarding WT lies always resulted in disfellowshipping, thus limiting said dissent. If a few people left on the way, well, to the GB, that is the cost of doing business. (i.e. leave all you want, we'll baptize more teens )
    • Many who were distressed JW's prior to the internet often stuck around, emotionally going through weeks where they psyched themselves up to convince themselves, and spent other weeks depressed. Dissent never was at the top, or even bottom, of these people's lists.
    • Prior to the internet, these distressed JW's were stuck. Post internet, they are either faders or potential faders. The internet gives them the one option they didn't know they had pre internet, the information to keep their friends and family, the only reason that these distressed JW's ever wanted to really stay in.
    • There is only one reason to fade, and that is to avoid shunning via disfellowshipping, thus keeping friends and family. These ones are not interested in dissent, they just want to have access to loved ones. It is the only option, it is a loophole, and it really wasn't a relevant idea until the mid 90's, where 2 JW/Dickinsonian coincidences occurred: 1) The teaching of the Generation that saw 1914 changed, causing a noted loss of zeal and motivation. 2) The internet exploded. The mix of the 2 roughly at the same time caused fading to be a theory/option that many who wouldn't have thought of it for themselves now had as an option introduced by others.

Dissent is totally a different subject imo. Dissent is a misnomer. I think "protest" more accurately describes what we internet apostates engage in. In short, thanks to their own bylaws, there exists no real way for dissent to occur. Thus a JW who wants to leave has two options, leave with both middle fingers in the air or fade. These are the only purposeful, proactive exits a JW who wishes to leave can engage in.

Sorry for the dry language, it just helps me to organize my thoughts....

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The Internet meant "The beginning" of my apostasy. Had it not being for this website I would probably be in the meeting right now and thinking how evil the apostates are.

Is good to be wrong. It gives you room for growth. The title was wrong and I am glad it was

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Actually posting that question on this forum is illogic. If you look at this forum postings 9 years ago it was mostly JWs posting and the forum apostatized itself until turning itself into an apostate forum....thanks to what? to the internet. Ha not even this forum could maintain itself a faithful servant of jehova

• agonus
    agonus

Are you serious? JWN started out with sincere Dubs? Hard to imagine...

• agonus
    agonus

(i.e. leave all you want, we'll baptize more teens )

I think the word you're looking for is "pre-teens"

• agonus
    agonus

"•There is only one reason to fade, and that is to avoid shunning via disfellowshipping, thus keeping friends and family. These ones are not interested in dissent, they just want to have access to loved ones. It is the only option, it is a loophole,"

Well, they must be the lucky ones. I was not afforded the luxury of an "inactive" option. It was basically, "We don't want you to 'serve Jehovah' (remain active) for the wrong reasons. However, if you DON'T 'serve Jehovah' (i.e. fade/go inactive) for the right reasons, well, then, er, fuck off."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Do we have evidence that this promotion has translated into more faders than in the past?

Only anecdotal LWT, but having read this forum for nearly ten years it seems to me there has been a large number of people who have used the information and social network on this site to fade rather than be disfellowshipped.

dinah commented on another thread:

It seems like since I left 25 years ago the whole fading away thing got big. Wish I woulda known that before I got df'd. I thought that was the only way out. DF or DA, both have the same consequences.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/188972/4/Finished-Ex-Jehovahs-Witness-Survey-Please-fill-out-for-help-with-project

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I have to say this is another interesting, thought provoking essay you have written. So the argument is that face to face contact is more effective than an online presence, and that information on the internet is more easier to filter and ignore. Although I can see what you are saying I don't agree that over all the society is better off, in that now ex-JWs choose just to slip away and say nothing, while frothing at the mouth on line. This argument doesn't stand up by the fact that increase has dramatically slowed down since the introduction of the internet.

i am in the early stages of fading, and wishes to keep his contact with family. So I am choosing to say nothing and fade. i have traveled extensively and have built up many JW contacts over the years, and these are the ones I am working on. Its a fine line between placing doubts in ones mind and getting busted, so the internet has given the apostate community the ability for covert operations e.g been more cunning. The things that i have done and said on the internet I probably would of never been able to get away with in my local congregation. Well that my take on it.

ve

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

If you click on the very first posts, 13 years ago, you see jwn started out as somewhat a JW forum.

I'm curious was Simon a JW or EX JW at that time? Is he the one who started this site initially?

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Yes Simon started the forum while a JW .

Read his old posts http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/member/5866/started/1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit