I've been debating on whether or not to share this...but here goes

by findingmyway 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nellie
    Nellie

FMW - Welcome to the Board (I love LL too!)

You've received some good advice here. You haven't really addressed your relationship with your parents. Do you live with them? Are you dependent upon them? Can you pull your son away from the organization and yet not pull him away from your parents? Can you speak with your parents directly? Will they respect your wishes not to study with him (because even if he isn't at the meetings, I'm sure they'll talk to him about the Truth when you're not around)?

Leave the Truth - YUP - Leave the Organization - ABSOLUTELY - Leave the FAMILY - ONLY AS A LAST RESORT

• caz
    caz

I am new here too and came to vent about my own experience with the witnesses re: my brother in laws recent suicide.

I am sorry that they made you feel this way, you are not to blame for allowing him to give his talk. He will never be able to say to you that you stopped him from doing what he wanted, but it is probably best to keep him away now.

At my bro' in laws funeral, the elders took over, even though they had not been any support to the deceased throughout his living with a mental illness.

What I can relate to from your post is where they practically insinuated that your son was an orphan!

The elder giving the talk at the BIL's funeral called his sons orphans in front of everyone!! Even though their ( disfellowshipped mother was sitting right along side them arm in arm on the front pew!!!!!! It was discusting!!!!!!!!!

I wish you well and happiness to both you and your boy!

CaZ

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I do not live with my parents, but being as extremely dependent as I was a few years ago, I bought a house 1 block away. I have a very weird relationship with my parents and siblings. They are all baptized, and they are on the fence when it comes to shunning me. I know that they are torn, but they will not fully compromise. It is confusing and frustrating for me because I never know how they are going to be. They don't hesitate to call when they need me and, although I try to keep it to a minimum, I call them when I need them as well. For example, my mother called me to ask if I could go to the home of my youngest sister (who has two children - one who is currently suffering with asthma) to teach her how to use the nebulizer (asthma treatment) for my nephew. Of course, I'm going to go. Until recently, I have always depended on my mother to assist me with child care for my son. I recently enrolled him in a boys and girls club with a stellar afterschool program (they pick the children up from school, do homework, and have activities). So I no longer need her, except occasionally when I have to work late and need her to pick my son up from the aftercare program. Now that she doesn't keep my son after school, she doesn't have many opportunities to "witness" to him. Thankfully. We don't engage in meaningful conversations, but we do speak when necessary. It seems that they try to find reasons to call or speak to me. The weird part is that whenever their conscience starts to eat at them, they shut down and shun me as they should as good JWs. I was at my parents house the other day to pick up something for my son and my mother had twisted her ankle. They were trying to remember if they had crutches in the house. I remembered that there was a walker in the basement, so I joked that she could use that. They laughed and carried on a brief conversation about what I had just said as though I wasn't in the room. It's weird. But no matter how you spin it, in order for me to have a "normal" relationship with my family, it would have to be on their terms. That's the painful part. I love them regardless of anything else and nothing could change how I feel for or behave towards them. Will they respect my wishes not to study with my son? I believe so. Will they respect my wishes not to discuss any topics of religion with him? I doubt it. Can I separate him from the organization without severing his relationship with my family? It's hard to tell since they always send mixed messages (talking sometimes and ignoring me other times). It's just a matter of mustering up the courage to say those things to them.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

your staying busy and keeping your child busy in after school activities, giving him a normal full life will help take the power of your parents preaching attempts away. i say your doing pretty good!

• mouthy
    mouthy

I can't bear a tongue lashing right now, so please...if you must, DON'T

I sure wont!!! Boy you are a balanced person. I would have said "Flattery is evil" That is what they were doing. Sure -he did well.!!! But the love bombing was intent 1st to make you mad! 2 .to hang on to your son... I do hope & pray the flattery has not hooked the boy- so he wants to get more !!!! God be with you both ((((HUGS)))

Grace/Mouthy/ Granny

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    "It feels like he belongs to us." And everyone joined together in applause again.

I had to leave the room.

I can't bear a tongue lashing right now, so please...if you must, DON'T. I just needed to vent.

Holy fu..., that`s probably the worst thing I ever heard. That`s just horrible. I don`t know what you should do, but try to look at it this way: Now you know! After something like that, now you know what this cult is all about, there`s not a shred of doubt left in your body! And then you deal with it from there. I can imagine that you might even have violent thoughts, after something like that, but try to keep you head cool. Try to think long-term. What`s your long-term goal? To save your son from the claws of this horrible cult? If, think long-term. Make plans.

No tongue-lashing here, just best wishes.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good to know your a Mummy- but hey! the picture of the DADDY on your site is HOT!!!!Yes shame on me I am 78 but I couldnt resist. ( oops is this a d/f offense) even to LOOK at a man with lust !!! Yes I guess you all will D/F me LOL

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

Caz,

Thanks for your support. I am so sorry to hear how the elders have and are continuing to handle the situation with your brother-in-law's suicide. It is simply deplorable. How are the boys holding up?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mouthy: you are too cute. If you want, I'll send you some more pics of LL Cool J (Ladies Love Cool James).

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

So sorry about that... and do give your bub an alternative to the love bombing. He might have been overwhelmed by it, not realising that the rest of the time at the meetings is just sitting around being very bored. Being banned from going might make it look like it's the real deal ('I'm being persecuted, it must be the truth!'). You could consider letting somebody take him to meetings three times a week, or even dropping him there three times a week yourself, and talk to him about it afterwards - 'what did you learn tonight hon?', 'does this make sense to you?', 'do you want to not have a birthday present?'. Don't worry, it won't take long for him to get very bored with it.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

FMW: Good luck with your situation. How about getting your son his own Bible, a student bible, Walmart has excellent inexpensive ones...or ask at any church, they'd be glad to help you out.

Show him right away the false words in the NWT, how they have changed their words to reflect what they want it to say.

You don't need to do much, just tell him you don't want him getting involved with anything that teaches lies....and give him a little

understanding of what a cult is, on a level that he can understand. (They use ONLy their own teachings; they pull people away from family by

giving up celebrations...that is enough).

I would have been totally infuriated at the KH, too. But you must take the reins and teach hiim the reasons why he shouldn't study anymore with them.

Best to you, AJ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit