guys i really need your help

by Cordelia 99 Replies latest jw friends

• Michelle5480
    Michelle5480

I send you a big hug cordelia,

Ive been there and my mom begged me not to leave the elders came over a million times and asked me not to leave.

How can you live on like this, you'll resent your dad always for making you lose your boyfriend. You already know what life is like in the organization but you'll always look back to now and ask yourself how would life had been if you had left when you had the chance. Things will seem bad and hopeless and feel like they get worse but they'll eventually get better. Its been 7 mths since I was disfellowshipped and Im still recovering but Im happy now. No one will live your life but YOU, you already have doubts about the organization and you always will. That will never change. Other aspects of your life you can change if you want to.

Best of luck to you, keep us posted.

• Legolas
    Legolas

((((()))))

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Cordelia -

I have been following your situation, and I feel terrible that you are going thru this.

You said your dad was willing to come around and 'answer your questions', right?

Could you use this opportunuty? Tell him you will listen to his answers to your questions - but in return he has to really answer them. From the Bible. Not from the Watchtower. Make him work to find the truth he wants you to believe.

There have been innumerous questions posed here on this forum that could set up a discussion between you and dad. Maybe he would start to understand why you don't believe it is the truth, while he tries to prove it is?

Prove 607.

Prove that the FDS was ever appointed by God.

Or similar.

Just a thought. I know if it was my daughter -and she was in a similar situation not to long ago - I would do all I could to answer those questions if I thought I could get her back to the 'truth'. I know now that I couldn't have answered them, and it might have started me down the pathway out of the the organization sooner than I took it. It could start the first honest discussion/exchange you ever had with dad about your life and the 'truth'.

Wish you well, dear.

Jeff

• horrible life
    horrible life

Stand up straight. Look in the mirror. Make your decision. Love yourself. ((((((((((HUGS))))))))) hl

• garybuss
    garybuss

Your parents are cultists in a cult and they are all blackmailing you. Take care of your children, keep them away from the cultists. Take care of yourself, get away from the cultists, get counseling, wait to worry, take a health break and get healthy. Blackmailers are bad people. Stay away from bad people. Keep your children away from bad people.
    Your mother's crazy and your father's a jerk. I'd NEVER let him see my child again, ever! Whenever anybody threatens me, I always challenge them to see of they are serious. If they are not serious, I drop them like a bad habit. If they are serious, I retaliate.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Well, it's after 7 (your time) now, and I am thinking of you (((((Cordelia))))) and hoping for the best

~Merry

• thom
    thom

Michelle5480 makes a good point:
    "you'll resent your dad always for making you lose your boyfriend. You already know what life is like in the organization but you'll always look back to now and ask yourself how would life had been if you had left when you had the chance."
    Though your parents may be pleased if you return to the org, how will you feel? Do you think the resentment of them taking your life away will affect your relationship with them?
    They want you back in the org and everything to be back the way it was, but it won't be the way it was. If you're unhappy to lose your boyfriend and your life that you choose, would you really be able to have a good relationship with those who did that to you? I would think you'd develop anger toward them and you would no longer appreciate a relationship with them. But if you live your life the way you want to and they gradually come to accept it, you may recover your good relationship with them and maintain it.
    If they choose to shun you for good, would that be worse than a relationship with them where you resent them?

• Sirona
    Sirona

I'm thinking of her too. ((((((((Cordy)))))))))

I am nipping out in a few minutes but will be back if she wants to call me later. Earlier on the phone she was devastated - crying etc. and really really confused.

The boyfriend wasn't being 100% supportive, who can blame him I suppose, he knows nothing of JWs? but anyway, she was feeling really alone.

Sirona

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

You've had a lot of good advise here!

I understand the mix of feelings you have for your parents and this situation.

I regard myself as having two sets of parents; the genuinely wonderful mother and father I love, and two people in a high control group.

They will sometimes act in a way controlled by their "programming", rather than one controlled by their real emotions.

They are the victims. They are two victims that royally piss me off at times, but I am the adult, and they are the ones in a high control group.

I had the advantage of "walking away", and waiting long enough before I got divorced so that I could argue (using Society literature) I effectively wasn't a JW anyway, so they logically couldn't df me. I avoid my parent's "hot buttons", and if they preach at me, I either (if its something inconseqential or in passing) ignore it or politely dissemble their arguements until they give up. It's taken a little more than a decade, but now they respect me and really try to avoid confrontation themselves.

I could take a blow-torch to their entire belief structure, on a scientific, historical, Biblical or logical basis. But they always veer away from getting deep enough into it to really undermine their faith. As they are both in their eighties, I see no reason why I should deny them their hopes by forcing the issue - although my dad did once after a few beers, admit that we didn't really know (if there was a god), but he thought he'd rather be wrong and not know it than discover there was a god and that he'd pissed god off. It's called "Pascal's Wager", but of course the idea a hundred pounds or so of human being could piss god off (especially if they lived their life trying to be a good person even if they didn't do x, y and z) is rather silly.

So, I get what you mean on several layers

However, even though you could jump through the Elders' hoops and get reinstated and then drift away, as you are where you are already, I would "stand firm".

You are now living a real life. A difficult one at the moment, but a real one. Going back to fantasy land even though you KNOW it is fantasy land now is not a good idea.

By living well, showing them how happy you are with your life, and how confident and free of "guilt" you are, you will show how silly all the JW propoganda about people who are no longer Witnesses is. This will in time hopefully modify their attitude.

Even if they do carry out with their threat (that the cult makes them do, not how they would act if they were free), it might be worth just doing what you would normally do as a good daughter (in your eyes) even if it is turned away at first, or not acknowledged as it should be. The JW's talk about "winning people over without a word", and it's actually something you can do too.

"Be excellent unto them", to quote Bill and Ted, even if they do act unreasonably.

You can always choose attack as the best form of defence. Many JW parents DO keep contact with DF'd kids. The literature (as I read it) is confusing over whether one HAS to cut off contact with family memebers, and the position has changed to some extent over time. You can actually attack their personal decison to shun you (if they do) and maybe through your arguments, based on Society literature, make them feel they can still be a "good Witness" and see you as they normaly would.

But good luck to you, and well done so far; you're showing courage and brains. People here can advise you, many of us have been down similar paths, and even though there is NOT "one way" to go after leaving the JW's (as reading this board for five minutes will show you), that is part of the joy of leaving a cult.

You become responsible for your own life. Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose" (lyric from 'Me and Bobby McGee). Freedom and responsibility are essential to realising the potential we each have as a human being.

One more thing. You shouldn't not go back for your boyfriend. You should not go back for you. I probably don't need to make the point, but it is an important distinction.

All the best

Gyles

• anglise
    anglise

Cordelia

I am sorry you are going through all this misery.

You are a mum. Would you do to your daughter what your parents are doing to you? If you could then go back if not then stay for you and your little girl, it is her future as well.

Anglise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit