Sect or cult?

by Cady 65 Replies latest jw friends

• chrissy
    chrissy

For me, in reading Steven Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control and other choice books such as Kingdom of the Cults, both of which are quite in depth and good, I'm convinced that the tower is a CULT. not sure if i could be convinced otherwise. there should be more information available in regards to cult dynamics so as to not make any mistake about it...the witnesses are very dangerous people from a psychological standpoint and I wish that more people were aware that they are a CULT.

The word, cult, once made me cringe. Likely because I was once a cult-member in denial at the end of my witnoid days. Today I kind of like using the word. lately, In certain situations when it feels safe to reveal my past jw experiences, I am certain to drop this word in a few times here or there...it makes a big impact. i find that people think the witnesses are weird, certainly, but also never quite sure if they are officially worthy of cult-status.

Not sure that I told you this but we met this couple for dinner tonight that are sort of wealthy I guess, and flashy about it...and anyway, not the sort of people I would want to "hang" with normally only because they are obsessed with stuff like investment real estate and italian motorcycles and who knows what other sh%t, so my husband understands this and on the way there says..."so, you're not gonna like...tell them all about how you grew up in a cult on the wrong side of the tracks tonight, are you?" hehehee. i might be using the tower's long ago instilled fear tactics. oh no!!

but seriously...great points made from your research, cady.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Jehovah's Witnesses are certainly not the worst cult on the planet, (as there are some other groups that actively promote child sex abuse as part of their beliefs, deny all medical attention, etc), but that doesn't mean they aren't a cult at all.

• heathen
    heathen
    as there are some other groups that actively promote child sex abuse

Would you like to tell us which ones those are ?

I do think it a horrible thing for a child to be abused sexually and don't think it would be something I could just get over , I would most definately hunt the abuser down and make him the most miserable soul on the planet before I exterminated him off the planet .

I think j-dubs are one of the worst cults in the world . They are dangerous in that they demand people including women and children go out into hostile environments to sell magazines . They don't even have life insurance in fact I'm certain they condemn the use of any sort of insurance unless told to by law .

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Would you like to tell us which ones those are ?

I saw a report on television about a group called "The Family" that specifically involved child abuse being openly carried out and that taught that sex with children is normal behaviour. More information is available at http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/60_Minutes_Australia:_Sinful_Acts

I think j-dubs are one of the worst cults in the world . They are dangerous in that they demand people including women and children go out into hostile environments to sell magazines . They don't even have life insurance in fact I'm certain they condemn the use of any sort of insurance unless told to by law .

Though there are very definitely significant problems with Jehovah's Witnesses, they can't honestly be classified as the worst. If only 'going out into hostile environments to sell magazines' was the worst thing happening in the world, both among the Witnesses, and everywhere else.

The Watchtower Society does not at all condemn life insurance. On the contrary, it suggests each year that " The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or in a retirement/pension plan."

If you are going to say negative things about an organization, you should get your facts straight, or you diminish the reliability of anything you say.

• heathen
    heathen
    The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or in a retirement/pension plan."

Yah that's precious there . The end is near , don't forget to make us your beneficiary on the life insurance .LMAO It looks like things have changed quite a bit since I had anything to do with the cult . I seem to remember people saying they had full coverage life insurance just by being a j-dub. So let me guess they carrey mutual of WTBTS ? LOL

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I think an organization or group that suppresses freedom of thought, expression, and research under penalty of expulsion, rejection, and shunning -- is a cult. JWs incidentally happen to promote other awful things but it boils down to information control, and that is the greatest crime that can be committed against a human soul. As proplog suggests, evil happens to occur to just about everyone. It's best dealt with as much processed information as possible, and not just a Watchtower index and advice from people in the same proverbial boat.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

On that, we agree completely, Cygnus.

That is what constitutes the worst kind of cult, in my opinion. The worst practices of any cult grow from the environment created by the basic policies regarding information.

proplog2, I would say Judaism does that, some Muslim cultures do that...but that is only if you consider any alteration to be equivalent to "mutilation." I don't. That is a JW belief that I do not agree with.

What would I call a religion that in my opinion engaged in mutilation of sex organs? Odd, bizarre, eccentric, cruel...but whether they are a cult is dependent on other things besides just this.

I noticed you didn't respond to my comment that your anti-anti-cultism is even more foolish than anti-cultism, since you acknowledge you are fighting against fools. Maybe I made you think about something? Just hoping here.

AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    There is money in the anti-cult business. There is power and fame in the anti-cult business. There are anti-cult gurus.

So you're saying you don't make any money as an anti-anti-cultist? In what way do you benefit? Is it an altruistic war you wage? Do you get a swelling of pride (Enzyte) whenever you get one over on anit-cultists?

I'm trying to discern the rationality of your course, but there are some really foggy patches. At this point, it still seems really foolish. Fill me in, please.

AuldSoul

• proplog2
    proplog2

Auld Soul:

I make no money in the religious sphere. I am against capital punishment, totalitarian governments, predatory businesses, institutionalized discrimination against anyone (women, blacks, homosexuals) etc. etc.

In other words I speak out against whatever evil comes to my attention. Including things that may not be evil but are irrational.

Things that really matter to me get my money and my time in addition to just words.

I believe JW's think cutting off the foreskin was an appropriate request on Jehovah's part. They even believe it's healthy.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

proplog2, I had my foreskin removed. I wish I had it. No one asked my opinion.

And, in providing your money and your time, you fund some anti-ists that make money. Not all anti-cult efforts make money. I haven't made one red cent from my anti-cult efforts. Many here have not. Not all charitable organizations have paid employees.

Including things that may not be evil but are irrational.

In your opinion, but then, who ultimately decides what is and is not rational, if not the individual?

AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit