Sect or cult?

by Cady 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Cady
    Cady

Proplog,

It's important for people to be aware of the dangers of victimology. Blame is not the answer. It may be convenient to shift responsibility to a "definition" but it doesn't solve the problem. It is important for us to realize that we may not be as immune to social influence as we would like to be. Humans are "troop animals" and some of us have a temperament that craves group oriented activities. These can be people as different as firemen and teachers.

You know, I'm reading your msg and I'm just feeling my irritation rise and I don't know if that's b/c I'm misperceiving what you're saying...

First, my interest in an accurate definition has nothing to do with shifting responsibility to such and I'm not even sure how that would be possible. You can't communicate with others in research unless you can have a good set of definitions and reasoning for each definition; the ability to categorize via such is also necessary.

Second, adopting the role of victim as a lifelong mentality is harmful. To deny someone the right to their feelings, including their right to feel pain over the loss of their (insert here: childhood, friends, family, ability to trust, ability to love deeply) seems cruel. I have great faith that anyone who had the strength to leave the jws will find within themselves the strength to move forward in their lives; they do not need to have additional guilt heaped on them for the privilege of acknowledging their hurt.

And I'm missing where the "social influence" line of thought is going...sorry, not much sleep, perhaps I'm a bit out of it.

Don't expect the healing process to remove the scars. That is an effort at denial.

If you wear your emotional scars proudly they will be constant reminders of what you need to avoid. My JW experiences have been a bitter lesson but a lesson I wouldn't trade away. I will never be bamboozled again!

Sorry, this isn't what I want. I want to figure out what damage has been done, to acknowledge it and then move forward. But is my method any better than yours? Nah, just what works for me. But the words "that is an effort at denial" is quite a blunt statement of my intention w/o their being any possiblity that someone, from my brief post, could fairly make.

Cady

• heathen
    heathen

cady ---

First, my interest in an accurate definition has nothing to do with shifting responsibility to such and I'm not even sure how that would be possible.

It's apparent the word is open to interpretation by experts and opinionated people . A definition you can find in websters or just about anywhere on the web . I like the fact that some have realized there does need to be another adjective when describing mind control cults . The WTBTS is obviously one of those as they say it countless times in their literature , there is no misconception there.

• Now What?
    Now What?
    You can't communicate with others in research unless you can have a good set of definitions and reasoning for each definition

From what area of research are you seeking definition? The Social Science definition is very different than the one from Theological Science. Are to trying to research and address the issue from a sociological perspective or a theological paradigm? Perhaps assessing the damage in each area seperately might make it easier to reason through.

I found them (the jw) to be a cult both socially and theologically. Most other religions that I studied were only cults theologically, which I don't have a problem with. Once seeing it as a sociopathic group, damage control became much easier and I was able to move on to a more fulfilling belief system of my choosing.

• Cady
    Cady

nw,

From what area of research are you seeking definition? The Social Science definition is very different than the one from Theological Science. Are to trying to research and address the issue from a sociological perspective or a theological paradigm? Perhaps assessing the damage in each area seperately might make it easier to reason through.

Psychological actually; prob the def for psych and soc would be the same.

I found them (the jw) to be a cult both socially and theologically. Most other religions that I studied were only cults theologically, which I don't have a problem with. Once seeing it as a sociopathic group, damage control became much easier and I was able to move on to a more fulfilling belief system of my choosing.

I'm very interested in your last sentence there - how sociopathic, what methods of damage control and also how you chose a more fulfilling belief system. Not sure if you feel like expounding but I'd be grateful if you did...

Cady :-)

• proplog2
    proplog2

Cady:

You said: And perhaps even in the healing process it could help a person to call the jws a cult if that helped them to validate their pain

That is what I mean by shifting responsibility to a definition. You don't define things so you have an excuse for your actions. That's the root of prejudice and hatred. The Nazis defined Jews as genetically inferior humans and then proceeded to excuse themselves for trying to exterminate them. So are you suggesting that it's proper to define the JW's as a bad "cult" just so somebody can feel better? How childish. That kind of logic was great for getting children over bumping their head on the coffee table. "Bad table. Here let me hit it. Now do you feel better?"

"we often try and say something shouldn't have hurt us, even though it clearly did, and the word cult has such a negative connotation that it might allow us to stop apologizing for feeling hurt. "

I hope you see the semantic problem of saying "it" hurt you. When it comes to emotional hurt you had better admit that it is your catastrophizing that makes things unbearable. You can choose to call something "unfortunate" or you can blow it up and call it "terrible".

If this makes you angry. So be it. The language of victimology appeals to the pre-scientific mind and it takes a lot of effort to dispute those assumptions.

To the extent that JW's are out of touch with reality they are hurting themselves. To the extent that a person shares those beliefs - they too are hurthing themselves.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well it's highly unlikely that the JW leadership would issue a mass suicide directive. But in the event of an appearance that Babylon is on its way down and some form of "peace and security" is declared (beyond 1986 of course), there's no doubt in my mind the majority of JWs will do whatever they are told to do. Heck, very many JW males prepare for prison when they turn 18 in certain lands because military service is required at that age for at least a couple of years. And think of all the JWs who completely changed their lives and went into special pioneer or missionary service to avoid Vietnam. If the fervor reaches a high enough point, I think JWs are capable of about anything, and like another poster mentioned, directives coming from a nameless and faceless "faithful slave class" works very well with an international, multi-million membership.

• heathen
    heathen
    there's no doubt in my mind the majority of JWs will do whatever they are told to do.

Well , right now they are still clinging to the idea that they will survive the GT and walk with God right into the kingdom , no mention of suicide . As strange as they are it just wouldn't fit their MO to harry carry it .

• Cady
    Cady
    You said: And perhaps even in the healing process it could help a person to call the jws a cult if that helped them to validate their pain

That is what I mean by shifting responsibility to a definition. You don't define things so you have an excuse for your actions.

Pro -

Perhaps I can clarify. To use one's past as an excuse for making negative choices is self-destructive. However, to allow yourself to acknowledge the pain you've dealt with is IMO an important part of recovery. To lose one's friends and family is painful; to refuse to acknowledge that you are in pain, to say "I'm fine, nothing hurts me, I'll move on" is to create within yourself cognitive dissonance. If you've been well-trained to react to your own vulnerability with anger and shame, perhaps being able to label the situation accurately will create in yourself room for acceptance of that pain w/o the shame. In an ideal world, we would be able to admit when we were hurting and then move on w/o feeling shame for hurting. If we're told to consistently minimize the situations we've dealt with, then we feel even more shame at hurting.

An interesting perspective on this situation in relation to the way we raise young men today is the book "Real Boys" written by Dr. William Pollack, Codirector of the Center for Men at McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School. In one example, he discusses a 14-yr old:

This mask of masculinity enabled Adam to make a bold (if inaccurate) statement to the world: "I can handle it. Everything's fine. I am invincible."

Adam, like other boys, wore this mask as an invisible shield, a persona to show the outside world a feigned self-confidence and bravado, and to hide the shame he felt at his feelings of vulnerability, powerlessness, and isolation. He couldn't handle the school situation alone...and he didn't know how to ask for help, even from people he knew loved him.

I grant you that this is a book written at a non-academic audience, but its author is credible and you could no doubt pull up the studies he's done to support his research in peer-reviewed journals. I don't have the time or energy to do so right now.

As a child, if I cried, I was told to breathe deeply to stop it. My brother was told more specifically "be a man, stop crying." This was at a very young age. The Protestant work ethic carries w/it a sense of value from how hard you can push yourself; weakness is shame. And yet I know I have bought into this belief structure so strongly that even right now I feel compelled to defend myself, as if you would think that I play the victim for the mistakes I've made. That I even feel that in defending a person's right to pain my personal value comes on trial is extremely disconcerting.

That's the root of prejudice and hatred. The Nazis defined Jews as genetically inferior humans and then proceeded to excuse themselves for trying to exterminate them. So are you suggesting that it's proper to define the JW's as a bad "cult" just so somebody can feel better? How childish. That kind of logic was great for getting children over bumping their head on the coffee table. "Bad table. Here let me hit it. Now do you feel better?"

No, I'm saying it's appropriate to accurately label the source of one's pain. Our society negates one's worth if they feel pain that society views as illegitimate; if labeling JWs as a cult vs a sect protects a person from that shame by providing a lable that helps more fully reflect the intensity of the situation/experience then I feel it is a positive choice to do so.

Calling my suggestion and I think implying that I am, by extension, childish, is rather close to a flame and I'm not sure necessary or helpful. I apologize if you feel I may have done something similar to you, although after reviewing my posting I don't see that I did. I would much rather focus on the topic at hand; personal attacks don't seem to encourage rational though. Again, if you feel that I've done the same I apologize in advance. Much is lost in the ability communicate via the net vs in-person and miscommunications arise easily.

"we often try and say something shouldn't have hurt us, even though it clearly did, and the word cult has such a negative connotation that it might allow us to stop apologizing for feeling hurt. "

I hope you see the semantic problem of saying "it" hurt you. When it comes to emotional hurt you had better admit that it is your catastrophizing that makes things unbearable. You can choose to call something "unfortunate" or you can blow it up and call it "terrible".

If this makes you angry. So be it. The language of victimology appeals to the pre-scientific mind and it takes a lot of effort to dispute those assumptions.

An organization is the combination of its regulations/rules and the people who adhere to such. Without the rules that are part of this org few individuals who are JWs would reject their family members; w/o the people who live by these rules, the rules themselves would be powerless. Hence, I feel that saying an organization is harmful is a completely legitimate statement.

I'm choosing to believe you are using "you had better admit" not as direct reference to me but as in "an individual". However, I think telling someone they "had better" do something is not very productive in general. Further, to say losing one's friends and family is "unfortunate" is an interesting phraseology and I do not think that an individual feeling more hurt than "unfortunate" seems to bare out is catastrophizing anything.

Finally, saying that "the language of victimology appeals ot the pre-scientific mind" etc...it's quite obvious to me that this is a personal attack and I'd much rather not engage in that.

Cady

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Proplog2, when a child is brought up in a destructive environment that is emotionally demeaning they may not develop enough sense of self to find their way out. In that case their environment can hurt them emotionally. The same is true of someone who at any emotionally weak point in life is preyed upon by a cult that offers a "way out," a sense of belonging and purpose. Such an organization can emotionally damage a person.

To infer that emotional damage caused by environmental factors is not actual inflicted harm evidences a pre-scientific mind. To the degree that someone is rendered less capable of coping with emotional trauma by their experiences, they are harmed.

AuldSoul

• proplog2
    proplog2

Cady:

Such reasoning is childish. I gave you an example of childish reasoning. I didn't say that you are a child and therefore "bad". My example of childish reasoning possesed these elements:

1. A person does something (perhaps accidental) and is injured.

2. Attributing "agency" to the object.

3. Punishing the object as a way of achieving "justice".

Children think that way. Societies that murder their "murderers" think that way too. It is childish and imature. You are adding a lot of stuff to what I said. It seems you have a predisposition to making those kinds of assumptions. Perhaps you "had better" work on that. Yes I said "had better"- which means you will be better off if you drop your irrational defensiveness. I didn't say you "ought" to work on that. That would imply some sort of universal rule. There is nothing in the universe that says you have to think straight.

Ditto: Your claim that I am personally attacking you as having a pre-scientific mind because you seem to prefer the language of victimology.

The cure is to learn to say: tough Sh*t.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit