Chaperones

by Gretchen956 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Richie's thread got me wondering what ever happened to the practice of chaperoning??? I mean really, was this just a regional thing where I grew up? We had to have a chaperone ALWAYS with the opposite gender even if we were old! The chaperone had to be a trusted JW who was married.

Did this policy change?

Sherry

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

double... nevermind!!!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I grew up in Missouri and Hawaii. The chaperone thing was in full force when I was a teen. I remember a male friend (that I had no romantic interest in at all!) drove me and a girl friend home one time. I was SOOO scared that I would get in trouble for it since no adult was there. Dad wasn't happy, but at least there were three of us. I didn't get in trouble, but Dad made it very clear that it was NOT to happen again.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I think it still exists. We always were allowed to hang out in groups, but would be counselled if there was an even amount of boys and girls. Threat of orgy looming overhead and all We quickly learned to leave someone out of the count when having to name every single person who might remotely show up.

I never dated a JW boy, they were boring, all the interesting ones left the org as soon as possible.

Dams

• aniron
    aniron

Never did it in my congregation.

All the time before I and my wife were married we never had a chaperone. We were on our own a lot as well. Also my wife to be lived on her own.

One Elders view was that if yu were a faithful JW's, you didn't need a chaperone.

Never knew anyone one who did.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

perhaps it was/is regional?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

lol @ sphere!! Yes, it is a bit crazy when you think about it. I once had a judicial committee because I allowed a boy to kiss me (peck) on the lips in a car which had 9 people in it. I asked them, what do you think could have happened??? There wasn't hardly room to breathe!

Kinda nuts when you think about it.

Sherry

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The chaperone thing was in full force here in the Lone Star Apostate. I think group dating is fine for the young teenagers, but a 25 year old having a chaperone? I remember the humiliation too well!

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Chaperoning was definitely enforced when i was 'courting'. And that was only 10 years ago or so...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The ultimate goal of chaperoning is to make sure that a JW couple are never alone together until they're married. This makes for a nice surprise when they finally get to know each other properly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit