So that's it

by ballistic 35 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I've had been married for about 9 years before I really told my husband ALL there was to know about the JW's.

For a long time, I had reasoned...that he knew nothing about the JW's ...well he thought he knew things, but they were wrong. (Like he hung a flag in front of our house, because he had heard JW's won't come to a house with a flag) soooo...if he knew nothing about JW's then, Jehovah had no choice but to resurrect him and give him another chance.

lisa

• ballistic
    ballistic

I went out with a girl for around a year, one of the few times a girl I met in a night club turned into a full relationship, and when I found out where she lived, it turned out to be right next door to some witnesses I knew very well. It was kinda weird going up her garden path next to the witnesses whose house I used to look after. But I never told her my past. And I think she knew something was up.

Now, because I feel so liberated telling people about it, I want to tell from the word go, like after a couple of dates which is now. But just once I've had a adverse prejudiced reaction.

• ballistic
    ballistic

P.S. sorry if the thread wasn't too clear about what I was talking about - but I'm genuinely interested to know your thoughts on this.

• rebel8
    rebel8

IMO it is a subject you should broach gradually. Dropping the whole mind control cult thing in entirety in someone's lap on a 3rd date is a great way to end the relationship. This is a highly personal matter and you don't discuss graphic details of highly personal matters with people you barely know. I think it's fine to mention you were a JW if it comes up in conversation, but not to go full steam ahead with every graphic detail. Just say it matter of fact and move on, ie, "Why didn't I go to college in my teens? Well my parents had become JWs and they didn't believe in college. Thankfully I left that religion and made my own way in the world." Full stop, move on with non-JW conversation.

• exjdub
    exjdub
    As in..... "Guess what, lover, I've got some baggage. I was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses, a high-control religious group for XX years, and it left scars that even I have trouble explaining. Believe me, there's a lot more to them than a bunch of clean-cut nerds strolling from door to door with magazines. I might act weird if you use trigger words like "loyal" or "truth". I still think Christmas and Catholic crosses are from Satan. Mind?"

jgnat,

I have always enjoyed your posts, however that might possibly be the funniest thing that I have ever seen posted on this board. What a scream! I imagine printing that on a piece of cardboard, running some string through it, and putting it around your neck. It covers just about everything in the shortest way possible. It would make an awesome bumper sticker as well. Nice job!

exjdub

• Legolas
    Legolas

Ok my heads either not clear or I am reading what you said wrong!

Have you been with her a year or a few dates?

I might tell her now, well because you might have some quirks that you don't know you have and by telling her your past it might make since to her then.

But I don't know! You know yourself, what do you honestly think?

• gumby
    gumby

If I were single .....I'd have no problem whatsoever in relating my dub life with a new girlfriend. I've never met a person yet that wasn't eager to listen to witness beliefs once you whet their appetite of the peculiar beliefs they have. Relate to them their shunning policies and you'll have their attention quickly with them wanting to hear more. Realte to them how the dubs think everyone outside of their organisation is on Satans side.

About the only thing they will wonder about is.....how you became attached to such a group.

Gumby

• oldflame
    oldflame

I have never been married to or dated a witness, but I would if I had would be very open, honest and upfront with her about the borg and their falicies, just as I would if she was not a JW. This is called respect, for yourself as well as for her.

• gumby
    gumby

It wouldn't matter what you said OldFlame.......yer sa damn ugly and such a horrible golfer that no chick would have yer arse!

Gumby

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

jgnat, you calling my avatar "sissified?" Why, I oughta...one of these days, jgnat! ONE of THESE DAYS!

I can't help but express how I see myself inside. FREEEEEE! (and masculine: Pale purple isn't just a feminine color, it has other significance as well )

AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit