Bethel wants lawyers!

by zack 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

To be honest, I don't see how there could be such a thing as a JW Attorney, in Ohio they have to take the following oath:

" I, ____________________, hereby (swear or affirm) that I will support the Constitution and the laws of the United States and the Constitution and the laws of Ohio, and I will abide by the Code of Professional Responsibility.

In my capacity as an attorney and officer of the Court, I will conduct myself with dignity and civility and show respect toward judges, court staff, clients, fellow professionals, and all other persons. "

Between swearing to uphold the Constitution and being an "Officer" of the court, as JW's who are not part of the world, won't salute the flag, etc. I just don't see how they could continue to practice and be a JW.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

"Mother is hard to please. She doesn't want you to pursue higher education, but she wants you to be a lawyer .. She wants you to be illiterate and educated at the same time. Go figure that one out!!!!!!!!!

wanna

• jwsons
    jwsons

I remember in my congr. 1973 one of brothers be warned if he still be a lawyer, he can be disfellowshipped for "only Jesus has the right to judge others." Very funny. So all parents discouraged their kids sitting for Law subject. How can they find out Faithful JWs in this aspect ?

They may need lawyers to count the references on each website from internet in order to calculate how many per cent of quotations from original copyrighted quotes. Isn't it ? About Fair Quote, I mean

No way! Stupifdity.

jwsons

• Scully
    Scully
    Mother is hard to please.

This is particularly true when Mother wants you to kiss her ass while giving her feet a tongue-bath.

• Quotes
    Quotes

==================
    This is particularly true when Mother wants you to kiss her ass while giving her feet a tongue-bath.
    ==================

Am I the only one who finds this terribly naughty? ;-)

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

SCULLY : that was truely funny. and sadly factual at the same time... john

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

This is nothing new.

I remember when I was at Bethel hearing about how the Society had sent certain Bethelites to college and paid for it so they could use their expertise.

I thought it was massively hypocritical to be so anti college and then turn around and pay for certain Bethelites to go to college.

Heck, there was one congregation where a friend of mine was put on restrictions because he was going to college to become a CPA.

Jeff S.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Cheap, cheap, cheap. I guess they've been pricing lawyers in the REAL world.

Nina

• ballistic
    ballistic

Surely this is because the Awake! has gone to bi-monthly publishing; it now takes twice as long for them to find bethel lawyers.

• loveis
    loveis
    To be honest, I don't see how there could be such a thing as a JW Attorney, in Ohio they have to take the following oath:

" I, ____________________, hereby (swear or affirm) that I will support the Constitution and the laws of the United States and the Constitution and the laws of Ohio, and I will abide by the Code of Professional Responsibility.

In my capacity as an attorney and officer of the Court, I will conduct myself with dignity and civility and show respect toward judges, court staff, clients, fellow professionals, and all other persons. "

Between swearing to uphold the Constitution and being an "Officer" of the court, as JW's who are not part of the world, won't salute the flag, etc. I just don't see how they could continue to practice and be a JW.

Well, not so, actually. They have a reasonable exception for this: *** w73 1/15 pp. 62-63 Questions from Readers ***

? Without compromising one?s position as a Christian, can one take a ?loyalty oath???U.S.A.

Whether a Christian can conscientiously take a certain oath or not depends primarily on the purpose, content or nature of the oath.

Back in the first century C.E., Jesus Christ corrected the Jews for making light, loose and indiscriminate oaths. They swore by heaven, by the earth, by Jerusalem and even by their own heads. But Jesus reproved them, saying: "Just let your word Yes mean Yes, and your No, No; for what is in excess of these is from the wicked one." (Matt. 5:33-37) A worshiper of God should not need to back up every statement by an oath in order to make it more believable.

Under certain circumstances, however, the Mosaic law required oaths. (Ex. 22:10, 11; Num. 5:21, 22; Deut. 21:1-9) And Jesus himself did not object to being put under oath by the Jewish high priest. (Matt. 26:63, 64) So Jesus? statement about swearing cannot be used as a basis for condemning all oaths. But what kind of oaths may a Christian take without injuring his conscience?

This he must determine for himself by comparing the oath in question with Bible principles. Jesus Christ stated: ?Pay back Caesar?s things to Caesar, but God?s things to God.? (Matt. 22:21) Hence a Christian could not swear to anything that would require him to do things that are contrary to God?s law. But there would be no objection to his taking an oath to ?uphold or defend? the provisions of the law that do not stand in opposition to God?s law. The Christian recognizes that his defense and support of Caesar?s law must be within the limitations imposed by God?s Word. He can ?defend? the law by word, by his daily conduct and, in legal matters, by his testimony in court. Christians are told: "Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities." (Rom. 13:1) So there would be nothing objectionable to swearing to do something that one is already obligated by God to do.

Many enlightened countries, though, recognize the reasonableness of the Christian?s other obligation, to ?give to God what belongs to God.? Thus the Constitution of the United States, as well as that of many other nations, guarantees freedom of religion. It is understood, then, that a Christian is not going to be required to do anything contrary to his religious beliefs and his obligations to God. There is no danger to the country in this provision, because true Christians do not engage in subversion; rather, they strive to be exemplary, law-abiding citizens.

Since a true Christian takes his worship and his relationship with God very seriously, he ought to give careful thought to any oath he is asked to take. He should be convinced in his own mind that the oath will not cause a violation of his conscience or compromise his neutral position as regards the political nations and their controversies. (Compare Romans 14:5.) If, after reasoning on the matter, he finds that he can take a particular oath, he will have to bear his own responsibility. He should always keep in mind his prior obligation to the Supreme Sovereign, Jehovah God, before ever putting himself under any other obligation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit