My daughter is engaged! So why is my heart under my feet......

by Bryan 40 Replies latest members private

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I'm so sorry to hear about this situation Bryan, I have been in a similar one myself. My son wrote me a hateful message and told me he never wanted to see me again, hear from me again, etc, etc. We had always been so close I just could not imagine that he would always feel that way and I wanted to let him know that my love was unconditional. So I did like has already been mentioned. I sent him a card. The first one came back "Return to Sender". So the next time I sent one I didn't put a return address on it. I didn't even put much in the card except "I love you, mom." I didn't try to explain, I didn't try to convince, I just wanted him to know I still cared and would be there if he decided to change his mind. It took about a year and a half and I got a call from him saying he wanted me back in his life.

I wish for the same outcome for you.

My brother waited even longer. His exwife kept his daughter away from him for about 15 years feeding her full of lies and hate. When she got older she decided to find out a bit more about him and contacted him. She was very skittish and untrusting for sometime. But she has gotten over it and they are developing a relationship after all these years.

I hope you don't have that many years to wait.

My best to you, my friend, take care.

Sherry

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Bryan,

I'm so sorry for you, it's horrible when people allow others to dictate how they should act towards close family members.

I'm soory to say that 18 I probably would have done the same to my father too, but I know it would not have lasted long, girls always need ther fathers. I still need mine and i'm 30.

All I can say is just keep in contact with her from your side, continue to update her on your life and let her know that you still love her and always will. Make sure she always has your current address and phone number so if she does want to contact you she can.

She's only 18 and still being very controlled by others around her, and wants to do what her Fiance sees as right. Trying to please him at the moment. We all did the same when we were young and in love.

Hang in there my thoughts are with you.

Lehaa.

• shotgun
    shotgun

((Bryan)) That was a tough letter to read, it hurts at level deeper than can be put in writing when your child rejects you for any reason, let alone worship of the false God WTBTS.

I don't really know what is the correct course, I guess you have to weigh things out although maybe you have already decided.

It really made me mad when I came up for a visit for a week. And you were asking me all kinds of questions to try and disillusion me, and to make me have doubts in my head. Then you were showing me articles about it. And even though you were letting me go to the meetings and go out in field service, you still tried to make it hard, by things you said. It really put me out when you did that, because it showed lack of respect. And truthfully you don?t want answers to your questions you ask, because you are not interested in the truth, or what teachings we have. So you cannot fully understand, or want to understand it. It is like trying to reason with a drunk person. Because you didn?t want to hear it. You are content with your lifestyle, and the things you have chosen. You like doing what you want to do. Which is why you are no longer a witness.

If you were to write her a letter maybe you could address what seems to be only thing you can apolagize for, making her feel uncomfortable and making her think in her own mind at least that you don't respect her decisions.

I'm sure you never meant to make her feel uncomfortable, you love her and want what's best for her...freedom of mind and spirit.

It's no use to bring up anything questionable because the mental barricades are in place and seem strong, maybe even stronger now especially that she is getting married.

You might add in your letter if you decide to send it that Jesus said to forgive 77 times, so please forgive the man that bounced her on his knee, read her bedtime stories, kissed her boo boos after a fall and will love her till the day he dies!

Your a good man Bryan

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

((((((((((Bryan)))))))))))))....................I am sad for you because our children are everything to us and we love them more than life itself. I think I understand your pain to some extent.

I had the opposite with my daughter, I was the JW and she was the 'worldly' person I wanted to control and keep in the borg. She left home and that near killed me.I would get letters from her saying how bad I was as a mother for putting a religion before my own flesh and blood, and she was right. I know I hurt her as much as she hurt me. And I believe your daughter is in pain at the decision she has made.........FOR THE MOMENT.

The positive in my case was that with time my entire family saw the WTS for what it really was and we all left. A big part of the evidence was that the religion encouraged estrangement from my daughter. What about the love a mother feels, unconditional love, being there for the falls, supporting through the pain etc??????????? It was never suggested that she was only 15 and needed her mother to be understanding and patient!

Things could have ended badly for us, but leaving the borg freed me and I could love my daughter with my heart not a bunch of man-made rules. We are much closer now, time heals and allows rebuilding.

Try to be patient and in time your daughter will see the unloving, hypocritical, corrupt WTS. You will then get her back. In the mean time remember she loves you but has a cult controlling her. Love is powerful and eventually things will be sorted out.

Until then I send you positive and happy thoughts and offer you support and hope because I believe in the power of love! So hang in there ok.

Cheers, Bliss

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Bryan....Anything happen since then? Has the wedding happened yet?

Very moved by this thread....

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

((((Bryan))))

I am sorry for you...... Hope that there have been changes....

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I'm so sorry to hear this. All I can offer you is this... I had a JW mother and a non-believing father. My mom kept me away from my Dad and I didn't see him until I was 18. Now I'm 30 and believe it or not, I finally have a relationship with my Dad. If you would have talked to me at 18, I would have spouted off the VERY SAME CRAP.

Those aren't her words or her feelings, because 10 years ago I could have written that same letter VERBATIM. She has been told over and over things that she is accepting as her own beliefs.

I do think the reason why she said she felt sick when she had to visit you, is not because she didn't want to see you, rather she was feeling all sorts of anxiety about her own conflicted feelings. She has to go visit her Dad, but the tension and stress is making her sick. The pressure to conform is sooo great.

This is what I suggest you do. Write her back a very loving and kind letter. Telling her that she truly is the best daughter in the world, complement her on her sweet nature, her smarts, etc... just lots of complements. Tell her how proud of her you are, how you genuinely love the daughter she is. Tell her how you always made sure she was taken care of in her childhood, that you always loved her and still do and it would break your heart if you weren't at least a witness to her wedding. Although you understand that she might not want you to walk her down the aisle, out of respect you do wish to attend your own daughters wedding. Tell her that ever since she has been a baby you have wanted to see her grow up happy. Tell her that any communications, visits, etc from now on will have NOTHING to do with the religion. You don't need to discuss it any further, but you gave her life and you are her father and you think she needs to respect you as her father and at least keep in touch.

Try to make it NO pressure, she is under a lot of pressure as it is.... but continue to reinforce the fact you LOVE her. At 18, she is desperate for love, she wants to be accepted, she wants to fit in... but no one is going to love her UNconditionally except for you. Make sure she never has to feel anything different.

At 18 I knew nothing, here I am 30 and finally have myself together. I didn't leave because anyone showed me literature, scandals, etc... I left because I didn't believe it anymore. Give her time. Don't preach to her anymore, she's getting plenty of preaching from their side, she will find her own way. If she wants a car discuss it with her, tell her that if she needs a car then you will be happy to provide her with one, but she has to respect you as her father.

Keep the communication there, even if it's just a trickle. She is going to remember every detail of how you handle this... if you throw up your hands and give up on her, then she is going to feel abandoned and only sink deeper into their mire.

Good luck... and I truly am sympathetic. I know my own Dad loves me very much. He actually gave me away in my wedding in 2004, my JW mother didn't attend and it was sooo very wonderful.

• PinTail
    PinTail

Gosh, my dear friend I feel your pain. I have been there too. Children can make us hurt even with out religion, my aunt said this to me when I was going through pain of heart because of my daughters:

"When our children are babies they eat bread, but when they grow up they eat our heart."

Now you have me crying friend, continue to be a loving dad she will never forsake you for long.

Shane

• Bryan
    Bryan

JTP:

Write her back a very loving and kind letter.

I did that, just after I received her letter. Since her first letter, I'm starting to hear my little girl again. No, I can't see or call her, but we still do communicate by letters and email. Nothing fluffy, and not too often, but the line of communication is open. Her correspondeces are no longer full of hate. Which makes me feel much better. I suppose time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

You know growing up, my mother painted a really awful picture of my Dad,,,, now that I'm 30 and no longer going through those emotional rollercoasters years of my teens, I can see things clearly and WHO my Dad really is. I don't believe the stories anymore. There is no proof or evidence of any of what she said.

I'm really hoping your daughter sees your genuine heart and the person you are, and judges you with her heart instead of the propaganda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit