bank/credit-card accespoint in JW-convensionhall

by Ozner 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• talesin
    talesin

Ozner

Many thank yous for posting this information! I can't wait to talk to my parents about this ... and if I get any info on this happening in Canada, I will let you know.

The way MC and Visa work here (and I know this from managing a store), at least in a relatively small cash-flow business, is a percentage of the overall (monthly) dollar amount. We were paying 2 or 3 percent, and as volume goes up, the percentage goes down. The debit cards, however, worked on a fee-per-transaction basis. Mind you, that was almost ten years ago, so my information could be dated.

talesin

• blondie
    blondie
    BTW: I seem to remember something Jesus did...when he found out money was being changed in the Temple...I wonder what he would have done in this instance...

Badger, the WTS has been taking checks (and cashing checks) for some time now. They are just moving up technologically. My hubbie said that the WTS has been having an increasing problem with bouncing checks from the "brothers" and may be trying to get their money more up front and putting the debt on the publisher. The society has been encouraging congregations to take out loans with commercial banks rather than hit up the society too. I remember when the KH Bulding Fund was established. Many older JWs found it distasteful that valuable preaching time was going to be taken up by money-handling at the WTS.

Yes, the WTS has said many things about "Christendom" in the past that have come back to haunt them. They depend on the fact that few JWs read the study articles let alone the Awake or side articles. They flood them with information hoping for a memory lapse. The search on the WT-CD gives power to the memory challenged.

Blondie

• observador
    observador

Blondie,

Badger, the WTS has been taking checks (and cashing checks) for some time now.

you're right about the two points above. There is no significant differences between donating real cash, check or... credit card withdrawal. That's why I think that if Jesus would do anything, as some have wondered, he would've had reason to do it much earlier.

What I hope, by the Soc doing this, is that it will become more clear for those who are already questioning things on the kingdom world, the true nature of this religion. The more they beg, the better.

On the other point, you're right again. Just think about this: not much more than 70 years ago the organization would despise all religions. Now they not only welcome but even beg to be recognized and called a religion. That's why, folks, I think this organization will be around for a long long time, such is its ability to re-invent itself.

When I find out anything about the conventions in Brazil, I'll let you all know.

Observador.

• Ozner
    Ozner

Hi Observador. Again: the bankcard/creditcards are accepted at the special assembly day and the two days circuitweekend, in the own WTS buildings. During the announcements we were told how to use the card terminal. They advise us also to type for a 17-euro donation the symbols 1700 instead of 17. I think they got the last months many donations of 0,17 euro because brs&srs typed 17 instead of 1700. Humorous! That was not the intention of the terminal I think!! For the readers who not believe this story, it is very very real! I never expected to "witness" these kind of incidents in "the" organisation, but they really happen here in the Netherlands!

• justhuman
    justhuman

Doesn't happen in my country but ...you never know!!!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Okay, mega super-duper cool points for whoever posts the first pictures on the credit card kiosks! C'mon...you know you want to be the winner!

SNG

• Triple A
    Triple A
    During the announcements we were told how to use the card terminal. They advise us also to type for a 17-euro donation the symbols 1700 instead of 17. I think they got the last months many donations of 0,17 euro because brs&srs typed 17 instead of 1700. Humorous! That was not the intention of the terminal I think!! For the readers who not believe this story, it is very very real! I never expected to "witness" these kind of incidents in "the" organisation, but they really happen here in the Netherlands!

If there is a charge of .25 for eachtransaction, the WTB&TS could go broke quick with 00.17 transactions.

• avengers
    avengers
    If there is a charge of .25 for eachtransaction, the WTB&TS could go broke quick with 00.17 transactions.

There's an idea. haha.

As soon as I get a chance I'll have some pics taken of the credit-card-machine.
    My ex-wife and daughters always go to the Swifterband Hall. I'll ask to take some pics
    when they go. I don't know when that will be. I'll find out.
    If in the mean time someone else takes pics; post them.

Andy

• Ozner
    Ozner

The actual location of the terminal is just right of the informationdesk at the left side behind the entrance in Swifterbant. It does not catch the eye directly. If you can't find it, wait for the announcements, they will tell you were the terminal is.

• Pavlov
    Pavlov

Hello Ozner, Dag Ozner (we blijven lekker in Nederland met de reacties),

Somewhat related to you point: some years ago I tried to get financial and some organisational information of the WTBTS. Of course there must be something of that kind.

So, in a letter to our Dutch branche in Emmen I told (by the way in a respectable and not agressive manner) I had donated all my live to the WTBTS and it would be in my opinion just to ask my branche to give me the yearfigures of last year. And because every year the board of the WTBTS is been summit, I would also like to get information like: where I could read the meeting minutes, how these members are chosen or how I could been chosen myself as a member of this board. Of course I was very naive and thought answers to these questions were gladly given.

But to my disappointment some weeks after sending the letter I was summoned to come in the Sweating-room after the meeting to discuss the matter, if it was correct that I had asked the WTBTS some questions about finance and organisation. "Of course" I said to the three Elders confronting me. "If you like, I will give you a copy of the letter I have send". Well, the matter was, the elders received a letter of the branche, ordering them to discuss with me "firm but kindly" about the good manner our Organisation functioned. But, they were prohibited to show me the letter the branche had send to them. If they liked, they could point me to the yearfigures given each year in the january issue of the Watchtower (the figure of money spend to missionary activities) or show me the congregation administration. That was that.

So you will understand, from that moment on I never again donated anything in the conventionhall or to the WTBTS.

Greetings,

David Post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit