A question for Christians, bible thumpers, and heathens.

by gumby 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I haven't read all the responses, so my immediate answer to those passages is that it doesn't talk about people dying and stuff, when it talks of the perversity or iniquity of parents holding over onto children.

The law of economics tells you that a family that are poor are likely going to have repercussions for the next few generations, for example.
    This kind of holdover is also often seen in family's religious beliefs (which is what those passages are related to).

Just my 2p.

• Valis
    Valis

Gumbraham

• heathen
    heathen

I think there have been some good comments here . Gumjudas is trying to pronounce God wicked but if we look at the whole context of the law it was a very beneficial arrangement because if the jews were faithful they were entitled to peace , security , wealth no disease healthy crops and cattle , it's really only when they fell into apostasy and worshipped other Gods that they got into serious trouble as a nation .

• Valis
    Valis

Little Johnny The Gumbaptist...stupid rubbery head keeps bouncing off the silver platter!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• gumby
    gumby
    if the jews were faithful they were entitled to peace , security , wealth no disease healthy crops and cattle , it's really only when they fell into apostasy and worshipped other Gods that they got into serious trouble as a nation .

Whadya wanna bet their life was the shits the same as ours is......whether they were "faithful"or not?The jews had no prosperity and there simply is no record of it to prove it either. Actually to the contrary. Your own point actually proves god wasn't just in this regard. When Achan lied......the whole damn tribe suffered.

There are MANY examples of god punishing the nation because of a few rebels. If he doesn't punish ones for "others" sins.....then why did the nation suffer as a result of only a few?

Gumby

• toreador
    toreador

Damn good points Gumball! I agree with ya all the way.

Tor

• gumby
    gumby
    Damn good points Gumball! I agree with ya all the way.

Tor

Gee.....did ya expect any less from gumstein? Thanks Gumby

• heathen
    heathen

Well they did get out of egypt from being slaves for one thing .

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Bebu

However, God reserves all latitude, as He understands perfectly the entire situation. He doesn't have "rules", as He rules all.

If you find it acceptable for god to say "you shouldn't kill a child for its parent's sins, but I can", then we will simply have to disagree!

I realise that god is also saying 'be good and I will be wonderful to you'. but as he's saying 'be bad and I'll make your children suffer for it' it kind of spoils the fuzzy bit, don't you think?

Of course, at this point one can have lots of fun with ontology and the rather patently absurd idea of a incomprehensibly powerful entity creating sentient beings and then getting all pissy if they don't do exactly what it says. I would think that the owner of a flea-circus who killed the great-great grand fleas of fleas that had defied him was absolutely barking mad; as it is below, so it is above.

We cannot really be condemned for Adam's sin, but only our own.

Not according to those scriptures. Or are you saying 'our immortal souls are not condemned even if god destroys our bodies because our grandfather pissed him off'?

Lots of people have chimed in with comments based on a logical approiach to the situation, BUT there is no indication of the scripture being in anyway aphoristic; it does not say 'well, screwed-up parents have screwed up kids.' It says 'if your parents screw up god will screw you up'. No amount of cutting or dicing or deciding what we'd like it to say to fit in with the concepts of god we bring to the text is going to change that irreducable fact.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. If the Pentatuch is to be taken literally then tens of thousands of liberated slaves were killed by their liberator for crimes randing from demanding representative government, to complaining about the food, or in one case, to mentioning that they were better off in Egypt.

But they had the bright and happy prospect of committing genocide on the peoples of Canaan after 40 years of wandering around the Sinai Penninsula. Maybe Isis or Baal would've given them a better deal .

:-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit