A question for Christians, bible thumpers, and heathens.

by gumby 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Strike, get a grip - it's no wonder you people were jws - read one thing and think another.

visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation

"visiting the iniquity" - it doesn't say "punish" - if it were punish, it would say "punish"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The children receive similar exposure - hopefully they won't do the same - at least learn from the experience.

"take heed then HOW you hear, for to him who has more will be given.." .

• heathen
  • Ezekiel 18:20 "The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father."
  • I think this scripture has to do with the exile to babylon and Israel starting fresh afterward without being held accountable for the sins of the nation .

• gumby
    gumby

Heathen....your the first to attempt the answer....and you could be correct. How bout you check it out and see....so I won't have to.(actually I'm off to work)

Shotgunner,

Spare me the free will speech, if you believe the bible you were born imperfect destined to fail and sin due to God allowing sin to continue!

My dear brother.....god gave us freewill. We each choose our sinful course and god has nothing to do with it.......don't you see.........you heathen bastard piece of ca ca

Gumby

Gumby

• Valis
    Valis

Gumbachednezzar...

• gumby
    gumby
    Gumbachednezzar...

LMAO ! Yer gettin better all the time ( I like my damn name......it goes with anything) Gumby

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hi yah czar;

The first statement emphasizes the need for individual accountability for our actions.

Here's the first statements again in a slightly more modern transalation (NIV);

Exodus 20:5 ... I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me ...

Exodus 34:7 ... maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation." ...

Okay, so your definition of 'indivdual accountability' extends to having to factor in the fact god will punish your great-great-grand children for what you do wrong. So, you are saying that John WIlkes Booth should have considered the possibility that his great-great grandchildren (if he had any) would be persecuted for his crime? That is would be just for Bushy to order the summary execustion of any descendants of this Presidental assasin?

Wonderful, you and YHWH will get on just fine...

If we assume ...

Ah, you assume... well, just as long as you have a good solid argument...

... that the second statement;

which is;

Deuteronomy 24:16 Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:20 ... The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. ess of the wicked will be charged against him....

must complement the first, ...

Which you have to do as otherwise YHWH looks like a mad butcher...

... it becomes a significant concept in Judeo-Christian philosophy:

Well, your assumption actually adds to scripture czar; check out the last verses of Revelation, you shouldn't do that, it's bad. Your first claim is

"Each person stands on his own for what he did."

How can that be when a child (and it doesn't say they have done wrong themselves) is punished for the actions of a relative who died before they were born?

Your second claim;

Even if people as close to the individual as the PARENTS did something wrong, that does NOT in any way excuse the need for punishment for the individual's wrong.

Are you saying 'if parents of a child did something wrong that does not excuse in any way the need for punishing the child's own wrongs'?

I add the question mark as I want to make sure you actually believe that. If this is a fair expression of your beliefs, I would again say that you are adding to scripture, as it doesn't say 'the wrong-doing great-great grandchildren of wrong-doers shall be punished'. It seem clear that the great-great grand children's punishment is soley due to the actions of their great-great grand parents; any assumption it is due to any wrong-doing on their part is not backed-up by scripture.

Part of the problem is the conceit of modern Western society that punishment is bad, something to be avoided. In a way, it is. But we neglect to emphasize the positive consequences of punishment, or discipline. We learn to behave, to share, to be kind to the weak through consequences.

I don't see what that point has to do with Biblical contradiction; the contradiction was there way before modern Western society, and your 'explanation' above has had several medium-sized aircraft flown through it...

A second positive result is the establishment of absolute morality. Today's society is relativistic, a self-defeating concept that destroys the fabric of society.

That looks great when you type it! Can you prove it? By this I mean that 1/ modern society uses relativistic values AND 2/ that this destroys the fabric of soceity. Otherwise you're just making grand statements with nothing in them.

However, according to this standard of God, there is a morality that we are ALL held to, no matter what we were taught or what our neighbors and parents SEEM to be getting away with.

Yes yes, but a morality that encompasses punishing innocent great-great grand children for their great-great grand parents sins, a morality that allows god to order that virgin girls be taken as prisoners of war (with the inevitable concequences), and that everyone else dies by the sword, a morality that means whilst doing this the same entity supposedly enjoinders its followers to follow a different standard to that which itself sets, well, that morality you can wipe my cat's arse with.

Here's an example:

Hey, I know you're subconsiously working on the theory if you carry on long enough we'll forget the scriptures are undeniably contradictory, but it doesn't work.

No, here God is clearly stating that it is each individual's responsibility to stand up and do the right thing no matter what the traditions we have learned are.

No, YOU say god is saying that. It's the only explanation that doesn't make god a monster, which is why you choose it. Pity it's not backed up by scripture.

But, well, I'll just go and rant elsewhere, shall I? And you can go and get a decent argument, and we can meet back here tomorrow. Sound fair?

Alternately you can stop using a savage primative book (the OT) written by a savage primative people (the Israelites, probably whilst in Babylon to restore crushed identity, as distinct from being written by Moses during a 40 year-long trek in the wilderness that has not left one midden as evidence) as a guide to life and use common sense instead.

I know that doing that removes a godsaidso argument and means you actually have to make a decent argument, but hey, life is about learning!

• Valis
    Valis

Gumbabylon The Great

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Children don't bear the guilt of their parents sin, but they often bear the consequences.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I agree with Yerusalem. One of the aspects of cause-and-effect, is that the interconnectedness of all things has to be taken into account. A man is alcoholic. He dies of cirrosis. However he may also pass on the pattern of behaivor to his children, who may be impoverished by his alcoholic behaivior, and who in turn seek out alcohol or drugs as solace to their suffering. It goes on and on.

I'm no bible scholar, and so I don't know necessarily if that was what was implied in those verses, but it is reasonable to assume that negative actions have far reaching actions.

Religions that accept reincarnation (or rebirth.. slightly different concept), accept only invidvidual responsibility. In other words, you might be born into a family in terrible circumstances, and your father may be a murder and your mother abusive, but you are there in these sore straits, due to your own actions from a previous life.

from Hinduism:
    "Eternal family traditions and codes of moral conduct are destroyed with the destruction of the family. And immorality prevails in the family due to the destruction of family traditions.And when immorality prevails, O Krishna, the women of the family become corrupted; when women are corrupted, unwanted progeny is born. This brings the family and the slayers of the family to hell, because the spirits of their ancestors are degraded when deprived of ceremonial offerings of love and respect by the unwanted progeny. The everlasting qualities of social order and family traditions of those who destroy their family are ruined by the sinful act of illegitimacy. We have been told, O Krishna, that people whose family traditions are destroyed necessarily dwell in hell for a long time." (Bhagavad Gita 1.40-1.44)

from Buddhism:
    "Frequently I have been born in a high family, frequently in a low one; I
    am not mean, nor noble, nor do I desire social preferment." Thus
    reflecting, who would brag about his family or about his glory, or for
    what should he long? Therefore a wise man should neither be glad nor angry
    about his lot: he should know and consider about the happiness of all
    living creatures. Carefully conducting himself, he should mind this: "I
    will always experience blindness, deafness, dumbness, be one-eyed,
    hunchbacked, black, white, and every color; because of my carelessness I
    am born in many births, experience many feelings."Anguttara Nikaya iii.33

from Jainism:
    "Here, O young man, some woman or man is a taker of life, fierce,
    with hands stained by blood, engaged in killing and beating, without mercy
    for living creatures. As a result of deeds thus accomplished, thus
    undertaken, he is reborn on the breakup of the body, after death, into a
    state of woe, of ill plight, of purgatory or hell, or if he comes to be
    born as a man, wherever he may be reborn he is of a short life span. This
    course--that he is a taker of life, fierce, with hands stained by blood,
    engaged in killing and beating, without mercy for living creatures, leads
    to shortness of life." Acarangasutra 2.50-55

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I don't know, but I do know we are punished for our parents' stupidity!

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit