I think I was off the day they taught ...

by Simon 47 Replies latest social humour

• prologos
    prologos

besty so should it be: I even left my red port at home?

SaintBertholdt thank you for that dual fist diagram, I did not realize that July and August are 2 adjacent 31 day long month. (I thought the length were alternating) Thus Kepler is vindicated, summer is the aphelion of Earth, with the slowest orbital velocity.
  • Witness 007
    Witness 007
    I know everyones phone number except mine!!!
  • besty
    besty

getting off topic now, but aphelion occurs around early July so will depend which hemisphere you live in as to whether you have a summer or winter aphelion :-)

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I worked as a teacher's assistant in a classroom of 25 first graders a couple of years ago. Most of the 5-6 year-olds didn't know how to tie their shoe laces. I think that skill set should definitely be taught in first grade during the first week. And make up lessons for kids who 'are off that day'!

You don't know how many shoelaces Ms Phaedra had to bend down on one knee and tie on gym class day! :) For the chronic untied students I simply took away their shoes. Just kidding! But I did prescribe weekend homework of learning Shoelace 101 from an older sibling and would follow up with them on Monday.

And here I thought velcro fasteners were the thing. Nope, laces are in, baby!

• Phaedra
    Phaedra
    P.S. My older sister taught me how to tie my shoes in the Kingdom Hall bathroom during a Thursday night meeting. Besides being one of the only worthwhile skills I learned during my 25 year tenure as a JW, I had the best sister ever!
  • prologos
    prologos

besty: :getting off topic now, but aphelion occurs around early July so will depend which hemisphere you live in as to whether you have a summer or winter aphelion :smile:

I think off topic will be forgiven for common interest. for us northerners, it seems odd that in our summer we are further from the sun., winter closer, but here is the compensation to the variation in radiation: The south has more water surface, which mitigates absorption, temperature, although Oz faces the double whammy of a summer with an also closer Sun, angle of incidence being equal. If this smacks of design, ?? so what! --all factors in our favour are welcome, , even if by happenstance.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    The retro encabulator thing was hysterical. When I first started editing for engineers, it felt similar. Then I realized that this was the real thing-nonsensical as the real stuff sounded at first. Now I know enough to know it IS nonsensical. Just enough. Barely. :)
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Saint B I've been using the knuckle month method for years now. It also works if you start at your index finger knuckle.

Simon, I seem to have a mental block on sending people attachments. My husband shows me and it's SO easy but then I forget all over again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit