How to Help Vicki Boer Right Now

by Frannie Banannie 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

If I can suggest that you hold off on any writing campaign until tomorrow morning. It gives Vicki a chance to catch her breath and to formulate the best strategy and 'optics'. A Press release should be ready by then which you can then send out to the various media outlets in your area.

I am very impressed by the outpouring of support for Vicki. She deserves it. She's a fighter and a very strong person. I am glad I had the chance to meet her and work with her.

Please let's give her a chance to discuss this with her advisors and determine how best to approach it. Then we can determine how best we all can help.

Uzzah

• shamus
    shamus

I will zip my mouth right now. It's done. I give it 24 hours, then I'm off. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get this word out.

I am so outraged right now, and so hurt that they did this to Vicki.

This is the start of the WATCHTOWERS horrible throws into the public limelight!

THIS IS IT!

I am on the Silent Lambs website, and am holding tight to see what they recommend doing. I can't sit back anymore.

Vicki, I am going to help you with many others on this board.... we're not going to let you down like the WATCHTOWER and their lawyers!

Shamus.

• Aztec
    Aztec

As much as this pisses me off I agree with Uzzah that we should cool it for a bit and make appeals to the media when things have cooled down a bit emotionally.I know it's hard not be be reactionary and vitriolic when it comes to anything about the WTS and especially it's treatment of a rape or abuse victim but, give it a day. I'll be more than happy to email the local news stations and papers when something has been prepared.

~Aztec

• Xandria
    Xandria

I agree once we cool down some and think this out.. a plan of attack is much better in force then by dribbles.

Vicki as much as this PISSED me off to see. We need to put together a well thought out campaign. T-shirts, Mugs, signs, bumperstickers the whole 9 yards. Not only will it fund raise but it will bring awareness.

X.

• orbison11
    orbison11

ok, i will wait until tomorrow, with the hope we can all get a link to forward on...

i can cover a lot of the canadian west coast here

wendy

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I have to agree with Uzzah and Aztec.

We need to think clearly, then act appropriately and united on this.

It'll be like a media hurricane.

If the WTS is fond of media attention: let's give them plenty.

It's an emotional moment right now, but we have to act in a sound state of mind.

I'm like...completely bewildered by all this. + =

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following is the first news report I have seen about it.

http://www.recorder.ca/cp/national/030929/n0929181A.html

This is just horrible. The world must be made aware of how unjust this is.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I agree that we should cool down a bit, and perhaps do things in an organized manner. But we should make arrangements in a private forum.

Walter

• needs_lots
    needs_lots

Hello;

This is vicki's husband; Scott.

Thank you for your outpouring of support; it is good to know we are not alone facing this organization. You have both Vicki and my permission to contact any media outlet you want. We are leaving it in your hands as I try and nurse vicki through this. She feels that she has let you down by not winning a clean victory for other abuse victims. We are sorry............our biggest worry is that other victims will be silenced by fear ............So lets give the Watchtower the exposure that they fear........and expose their calous nature.

Scott

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Okay, this has been approved by Vicki. I am posting it now for any that feel they absolutely have to do something about this tonight.

I would prefer if Hawkaw could do a check on this before but I understand the eagerness on the part of many due to the sheer outrage.

So if you can't wait, send this out as is, along with the link Kenneson has already provided http://www.recorder.ca/cp/national/030929/n0929181A.html (thank you for that) . It will get the media ball rolling.

PRESS RELEASE - For Immediate Release

Canadian abuse victim forced to pay $142,000 to Jehovah's Witnesses

Toronto, Ontario -- A judge's ruling regarding costs in the Vicki Boer trial has been handed down today. Victoria Boer is a former Jehovah's Witness that sued three church elders and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Canada, the religion's governing body, for the injurious manner they handled her claims of abuse that she suffered when she was as young as 11 years old

In her original decision, Her Honour Justice Molloy ruled that the Watch Tower Society was negligent in the manner in which they treated Ms. Boer. She awarded Ms. Boer $5,000 as a result of the Watch Tower?s callous treatment when she brought forward her claims of abuse. Of primary focus in the negligence was the forced confrontation between Ms. Boer and her abuser, in front of 3 elders of the Church. None of these elders have any secular training in dealing with victims of sexual abuse.

In the surprise decision released today on costs, despite her ruling of negligence against the Watch Tower Society, Her Honour Justice Anne Molloy found Ms. Boer liable for all court costs incurred after 2001. In 2001, the Watchtower Society offered Ms. Boer $20,000 to settle this matter out of court. They later made a substantially higher offer to settle in the range of $50,000 but it included a strictly worded gag order.

Vicki Boer commented regarding these offers, "It has never been about money. If it were, I would have taken the offers. It is about a victim?s right to tell their story and to let people know how the Jehovah?s Witnesses treat victims of sexual abuse. The refusal of the offers was also based on the advice of legal counsel."

Ms. Boer further comments on today's decision awarding costs to the Jehovah's Witnesses, "It's sad when the legal system finds an organization guilty of negligence and then punishes the victim. This legalistic decision will now effect my whole family. Physically and emotionally I paid for the abuse, and now they want me to actually pay the Society that helped protect an abuser. Paying them is akin to justifying their sick policy..."

Between the costs incurred by her own lawyer and now the award of costs in favour of the Watch Tower Society, Ms. Boer will owe in excess of $220,000; $140,000 of which is to be paid to the Watch Tower Society for their costs.

The Watch Tower?s in-house legal department, W. Glen How & Associates, is run and operated as part of the Church?s Religious Order. All the lawyers and secretaries that are part of the religious order (Religious Order of Special Full Time Servants and Bethelites) have signed a vow of poverty and volunteer their time. In return they are provided room and board within the church?s headquarters in Georgetown, Ontario just north west of Toronto.

John Saunders, a researcher for W. Glen How & Associates in the early 90's, gave testimony during the trial last October. Ironically during an interview he gave after testifying, he commented, "Even if the Society were to win this case outright, I would hope they would do the right thing and not further injure a victim of childhood abuse by pursuing costs. People don?t donate money to the Witnesses so they can turn around and attack, retaliate and intimidate survivors of childhood sexual abuse inside the court system."

Neither side has released a decision regarding appeals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit